Puppies Legs Turning Out

chook007

He is on Holistic Select + some sardines, chicken mince,wings, Ester-C, fish oil, but 90% of his diet is HS.

Sorry I am not able to attach photos [not good on the computer]He is a lab. His legs look straight [not bent] his feet are pointing out instead of pointing straight ahead.

Yes what Jed said.

When my ESS was young I noticed her front feet were turning out. I looked more closely and she was actually turning out from the shoulder. Joint laxity isn't uncommon in working Springers particularly when they are growing. As she physically matured her joints firmed up nicely and she gradually came good. I wasn't concerned as I chatted with her breeder about it. I tried to ensure she wasn't hooning around on slippery floors.

my 18 month old lab's front legs turn out; our vet diagnosed it as muscular after xrays found nothing to indicate otherwise. We've done physical therapy exercises and water therapy on a water treadmill. His legs still turn outward but the tightness in his mobility has eased somewhat.

Your vet will be the best person to start out with in looking for a diagnosis and treatment.

Definately contact your breeder as they would be the best person to help you. labs and goldens are prone to this if their diet isn't correct, also, they can go east/west due to their chest being narrow while they are growing etc, once it pops out so to speak (its hard to explain) the feet straighten up... but... I would make sure the diet is correct as well as their are no guarantees that it is because of how they are growing.

Is he a good weight, and is he down in his pasterns as well or is he just a bit east/west? What is the protein & fat content of the HS?

Definately contact your breeder as they would be the best person to help you. labs and goldens are prone to this if their diet isn't correct, also, they can go east/west due to their chest being narrow while they are growing etc, once it pops out so to speak (its hard to explain) the feet straighten up... but... I would make sure the diet is correct as well as their are no guarantees that it is because of how they are growing.

Is he a good weight, and is he down in his pasterns as well or is he just a bit east/west? What is the protein & fat content of the HS?

This was my first thought too.

My two youngest started going east/west. Changed the diet and in a few days they were fine again.

The protein in large puppy Holistic select is 23% + he is having a bit of chic mince, sardines, frames. His weight is very good I can clearly feel his ribs. He is a happy active pup, moves well. Interesting what you have said about the chest. thanks for you help.

The diet looks pretty good - is the chicken mince minced frames or human grade? Depending on how much mince you are giving you COULD be unbalancing it if its human grade, but generally if you are only adding a small amount it shouldn't affect it too much. Is your breeder easily accessible, I'd be asking the question about their lines and if they can/do go through a stage of east/west feet, and if they can see him & feel him that would be better. My golden was terribly east/west as a baby, but as he has matured he's much better, not 100% but heaps better than what he was, he's still maturing, he isn't even 2 yet. I had a diet similar to what you are feeding but I didn't have him on puppy food after about 3 months, I put him onto an adult food because in general they have a lower protein content, but this puppy food seems pretty good in that respect.

Definitely contact the breeder and if you are in Sydney go and see Dr Karen Hedberg at Nth Richmond Vets. She has written a lot about the effects of diet on this type of development. Also the general rule is if the growth isn't right, change the diet to a lower protein and energy one that will slow the growth.