80kg Rottweilers - Is This Legit?

Simply Grand

Sheesh, My male Pyr is only 65kg (and he is far from small! - 74.5 cm at the shoulder and solid). People are often disappointed when they hear how much he weighs as they are always sure he is more :laugh: . No way could I imagine an 80kg Rottie.....:mad

Yup! Zac (Irish Wolfhound) is "only" 77kg. But then I still get people telling me that their Mother's, Cousin's, Uncle's best mate had one that was much bigger. :rofl:

Like others have said I think there are some people out there that just have to have the biggest badest [insert breed here] :(

If Hamish and Zac don't even top 80kg I'd hate to think how big a Rottie would have to be to reach those weights :eek:

It's not like either of those boys are exactly little :laugh:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So some acquaintances of mine tell me they are getting a Rotti pup shortly, the bitch is currently pregnant.

Apparently these breeders (I don't know who they are) breed from German lines to produce very large dogs. The sire of this litter is apparently 80kgs, the dam around 70kg. The phrase "nice big heads" also came up.

Anyone know if there are reputable breeders around producing Rottis that big? Can they even be pure bred?

LOL this kind of thing cracks me up. For some reason some people really get off on the whole mine is bigger than yours. Majority of Great Danes are around 60-70 kilos with the biggins being around 70-80 kilos - I highlyly doubt a healthy (not obese) Rotti would be that much.

:offtopic:

sas I just noticed the dane in your signature - a Harlequin dane?

I have a 'friend' who just bought a puppy and it is an amstaff cross harlequin dane.. He tried to tell me that a harlequin dane was a breed all its own and not just a colour.. I know nothing about this and was wondering if you could clarify for me - PM is fine if you don't want to take this thread off track..

Sorry OP :)

PM'd you. Harle is just a flavour Great Danes come in :)

People want the 'biggest dog' and others want the 'smallest dog'.

I don't understand either of these wishes. Both are going to have severe medical problems and are going to cost the owner many $$.

Drives me mental. The amount of times someone approaches us when we're with Danes and says "I knew someone with one much bigger" - seriously....who cares...it's not a competition.

My Czech Shepherd was weighed at the vets often and for a while was around 65kg. We did manage to get her down from that but I can certainly imagine a dog reaching 80kg. Infact Im pretty sure Ive known a rotti around the 70kg mark. Died young too.

Id still avoid soneone who breeds that kind of size. Highly unlikely they are healthy animals that will live long lives. I always ask people how much extra they are willing to pay for all the medical bills that are likely to come along and how their kids are going to handle it when the dog dies after a few years. Like others have said some people just want the bragging rights though.

Oh dear, here we go again. Why does this pop up so often? People please, the original Rottweiler also known a hundred years ago as the farmers dog, the butchers dog etc was a much larger dog than our current show winners. For heavens sake go look at the history of the dog before you deride somebody. http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html.'>http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html. The breed was "discovered" and imported to England, for show the weight and height was standardized. Look it up. http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html . Male 64 Kilo Female 56. The dog then traveled to America where it was bred and shown, the American standard looked for a dog of 48 kilo. Our modern show standard. There are still a few breeders in Europe breeding the original dogs as working dogs. The show standard has changed the breed to a more compact, less jowly and slobbery dog. At least rottweiler breeders have not gone the way of the new GSD breeders, better know lately as the German seal dog. These days Rottweilers are a slightly smaller more compact dog but still retaining all the good features and charisma of the old rottweilers. I would suggest first asking for a registered pedigree, then check out the dogs. Personally I would recommend going to an established breeder and getting a good strong healthy pup rather than buying a pig in a poke. You may be lucky and have found one of the working dog breeders. There are still a couple in Aust though they keep a low profile. I had those up until ten years ago but rarely bred them. Yes mine was an import and after the original dog passed on at 14 years I had his son for a further 12 years. I lost him when he was poisoned and we could not save him, not for want of trying. Those lines are not permitted in the show ring so if you intend showing forget it. Go to a registered show breeder.

That poor obese dog, it certainly was cruel to let him get anywhere near that size :(

I'm pretty sure I've never seen an 80kg dog, probably neither have the people getting the pup. I will see what I can get across to them to try and get them to change their minds, and will ask them more about the breeder as well. Hopefully the health issues and how this dog might be viewed by other people will get through to them.

Just to make it worse, the guy also mentioned he wants to train the dog to be a protection dog and maybe do security work with it. They really aren't bad people, even the guy, just under informed about managing the type of dogs they want to own. The Husky is bossy, confident and strong willed, which is fine if they can train and manage her properly, but I suggested to them that asking the breeder for a more laid back Rotti pup would be a good idea otherwise they may have fights on their hands, but again I doubt they'll listen. Maybe there's a chance the breeder will actually try to match them with a suitable pup (*optimistic hat on*).

Oh dear, here we go again. Why does this pop up so often? People please, the original Rottweiler also known a hundred years ago as the farmers dog, the butchers dog etc was a much larger dog than our current show winners. For heavens sake go look at the history of the dog before you deride somebody. http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html.'>http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html. The breed was "discovered" and imported to England, for show the weight and height was standardized. Look it up. http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html . Male 64 Kilo Female 56. The dog then traveled to America where it was bred and shown, the American standard looked for a dog of 48 kilo. Our modern show standard. There are still a few breeders in Europe breeding the original dogs as working dogs. The show standard has changed the breed to a more compact, less jowly and slobbery dog. At least rottweiler breeders have not gone the way of the new GSD breeders, better know lately as the German seal dog. These days Rottweilers are a slightly smaller more compact dog but still retaining all the good features and charisma of the old rottweilers. I would suggest first asking for a registered pedigree, then check out the dogs. Personally I would recommend going to an established breeder and getting a good strong healthy pup rather than buying a pig in a poke. You may be lucky and have found one of the working dog breeders. There are still a couple in Aust though they keep a low profile. I had those up until ten years ago but rarely bred them. Yes mine was an import and after the original dog passed on at 14 years I had his son for a further 12 years. I lost him when he was poisoned and we could not save him, not for want of trying. Those lines are not permitted in the show ring so if you intend showing forget it. Go to a registered show breeder.

Was this posted in the wrong thread, as it makes no sense?

That poor obese dog, it certainly was cruel to let him get anywhere near that size :(

I'm pretty sure I've never seen an 80kg dog, probably neither have the people getting the pup. I will see what I can get across to them to try and get them to change their minds, and will ask them more about the breeder as well. Hopefully the health issues and how this dog might be viewed by other people will get through to them.

Just to make it worse, the guy also mentioned he wants to train the dog to be a protection dog and maybe do security work with it. They really aren't bad people, even the guy, just under informed about managing the type of dogs they want to own. The Husky is bossy, confident and strong willed, which is fine if they can train and manage her properly, but I suggested to them that asking the breeder for a more laid back Rotti pup would be a good idea otherwise they may have fights on their hands, but again I doubt they'll listen. Maybe there's a chance the breeder will actually try to match them with a suitable pup (*optimistic hat on*).

yes Sibes are very independent dogs,

In ref to your friend wanting to do Protection/Security work they better take a couple of steps back & take a MAJOR LOOK into the Legislation & Public Liability Insurance of working with dogs, due to the fact you also need to have a special License. I know this as I was a Security Guard & worked with Rotties till the Legislation was changed in the early 90's. The Public Liability Insurance shot through the Roof & it was not worth it any more.

There was a beautiful big Rottie boy who used to come to the park we go to in the arvos who was abt 70kgs, he was taller and broader than my boy and he really wasn't carrying that much weight, got around his daily business absolutely fine. Add another 10kgs onto him and yes he would of been quite fat. In saying that though this Rottie was tall so i am guessing he would of been much taller than the show standard. But when i picture how this dog looked at 70kgs he looked pretty ok. Probs could of come down to abt 67-68. He unfortunately died of a paralysis tick when he was 4 :( His owner lived on his own with him so he was just heartbroken :(

P.S. Please don't lump all the GSD breeders together, not all breed that type.

Edit to say the bloke i knew looked NOTHING like the poor rottie in that pic

Edited by german_shep_fan