Dog Really Is Man's Best Friend

poochmad

Saw this online and had to share.

A loyal dog whose owner died late last year has apparently been showing up for Mass every day for the last two months at the church where the funeral was held.

Tommy, a 7-year-old German shepherd, used to accompany his owner, Maria Margherita Lochi, to services at Santa Maria Assunta church in San Donaci, Italy, according to the Daily Mail, and was allowed to sit at her feet.

After Lochi died, the dog "joined mourners at her funeral service" according to locals and "followed after Maria's coffin" as it was carried into the church.

Tommy, a stray who was adopted by Lochi, has been showing up "when the bell rings out to mark the beginning of services" ever since.

"He's there every time I celebrate mass and is very well behaved," Father Donato Panna told the paper. "He doesn't make a sound."

None of the other parishioners has complained, Panna said, and villagers give the dog food and water and allow him to sleep nearby.

"I've not heard one bark from him in all the time he has been coming in," Panna added. "He waits patiently by the side of the altar and just sits there quietly. I didn't have the heart to throw him out—I've just recently lost my own dog, so I leave him there until Mass finishes and then I let him out."

Examples of this type of extreme canine loyalty are incredibly common.

More details and photos here. Loyal Dog Continues to Attend Mass at Church Where Owner's Funeral Was Held

I saw this story this morning and was in tears.

Tommy the dog looks so sad.

I read another article about this which said that the townsfolk of the village leave food and water out for him, and have unofficially adopted him.

I am so glad the Father of the church is still letting him attend the church services.

The story reminds me of the Hatchi story.

The movie of Hatchi had me crying for days and days.

Edited by jess5

It is sad, and extremely touching... and reminds me of the time I thought I'd conduct an experiment to see what my dogs would do if something happened to me. I was walking through the house and just collapsed, I lay there for 10 minutes. None of them cared, one of them tried to sit on my head.

Seems like Tommy is now Father Hanna & the villagers' dog now. Lovely story & pics.

BTW, the nuns at Jamberoo Abbey south of Sydney had a 'Church dog', Thea, a GSD. Thea always attended the services in the chapel... at the Abbess's feet.

Here's the tribute to Thea when she died:

http://www.jamberooabbey.org.au/html/news2/thea.htm

Edited by mita

It is sad, and extremely touching... and reminds me of the time I thought I'd conduct an experiment to see what my dogs would do if something happened to me. I was walking through the house and just collapsed, I lay there for 10 minutes. None of them cared, one of them tried to sit on my head.

Sorry, but this made me laugh out loud, especially the sitting on the head comment! :laugh:

Every time I read this I laugh. You are funny! :D

Seems like Tommy is now Father Hanna & the villagers' dog now. Lovely story & pics.

BTW, the nuns at Jamberoo Abbey south of Sydney had a 'Church dog', Thea, a GSD. Thea always attended the services in the chapel... at the Abbess's feet.

Here's the tribute to Thea when she died:

http://www.jamberooabbey.org.au/html/news2/thea.htm

How sweet. Love that they cared so much to write a tribute.

Just goes to show how much dogs worm their way into our hearts. :)

I thought I'd conduct an experiment to see what my dogs would do if something happened to me. I was walking through the house and just collapsed, I lay there for 10 minutes. None of them cared, one of them tried to sit on my head.

Bet that got you up & moving.

Dogs probably learn in Dog Medical School how to test a collapsed owner for serious injury. Sit on their head.

Movement & protest means there's nothing serious and their owner will live to serve them their next meal. :)

BTW Found more about Tommy. Seems he not only goes to Mass but also Baptisms & Funerals. His late owner had 3 rescue dogs & the villagers have adopted all of them. Lovely pic of Tommy at the priest's feet as he gives out communion.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/leisure/2013/01/17/italy-dog-frequent-churchgoer-since-owner-died/

post-3304-0-04705300-1358573852_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mita