Hottest Day In Sydney Today On Record 45.8 Degrees!

labadore

Not much air con around here. It took many years to convince hubby but there are some days when it's worth the expense. I'd have brought TD's dogs in but her four (with two that can't be together) and my three would have been just too many :( The kids next door spent most of the day at a shopping centre or at a park with water, and now they're playing hoses and sprinklers. The neighbours on the other side have a double brick house so it stays pretty cool anyway - the rest of us are in little fibro ovens.

ETA Hubby has given the trains a miss for a couple of hours so he's hanging out at a bar in the city...

Edited by Katdogs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a fibro box with only ceiling fans to push the hot air around... even if I did have air con, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the electricity costs to run it anyways... *sigh*

I left the house shuttered up when I left for work this morning, and it only heated up to a nice cool (at the time I got home anyways) 37 degrees... and at least it's still not risen more than that inside since I got home...

I must say a huge thanks to Katdogs for checking on my babies through the hottest part of the day today - it was a huge ask to make her leave the relative safety of her own air conditioning to venture across to my place in 46 degree heat! She is truly the bestest!!

T.

Because the forecast is for a change and storms, I went out and mowed the lawns LOL: front, footpath and about half the back before I decided enough was enough. Few spots of rain, but nothing definite yet. Myrtie is quite calm so I am prepared for any storms to miss me :(.

Drink lots of water with a pinch of sea salt in it.

I live in a fibro box with only ceiling fans to push the hot air around... even if I did have air con, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the electricity costs to run it anyways... *sigh*

I left the house shuttered up when I left for work this morning, and it only heated up to a nice cool (at the time I got home anyways) 37 degrees... and at least it's still not risen more than that inside since I got home...

I must say a huge thanks to Katdogs for checking on my babies through the hottest part of the day today - it was a huge ask to make her leave the relative safety of her own air conditioning to venture across to my place in 46 degree heat! She is truly the bestest!!

T.

A fibro box with ceiling fans...luxury! :laugh: I live in an asbestos box with one pedestal fan.

Storm came through, bit of rain and lots of thunder, gone now and it's 34 degrees and the humiditity has gone from 13% to 83% YAY! :(

A fibro box with ceiling fans...luxury! :laugh: I live in an asbestos box with one pedestal fan.

Storm came through, bit of rain and lots of thunder, gone now and it's 34 degrees and the humiditity has gone from 13% to 83% YAY! :(

T's is an asbestos-fibro box. Ours used to be, but was given a gorgeous makeover with pretend brick (more like emery board) in the 70s :)

The storm you had is probably just the precursor we had a few hours ago. We're now getting the proper change - down to 26 degrees, very little rain but very rough wind.

T's is an asbestos-fibro box. Ours used to be, but was given a gorgeous makeover with pretend brick (more like emery board) in the 70s :)

The storm you had is probably just the precursor we had a few hours ago. We're now getting the proper change - down to 26 degrees, very little rain but very rough wind.

Yes Katdogs you are right, the southerly's hit and it's blowing a gale :thumbsup:

The trains were a nightmare this arvo I heard :(

Edited by stans mum

Feel for the train commuters as an hour's delay on most lines as heat has caused havoc with tracks and overhead lines - imagine being packed in like sardines in this heat today and the aircon on those trains would probably not cope very well in this extreme heat. I would not want to have to travel on a train today in Sydney/NSW, it would be unbearable.

Can't wait for the change to blow through, they reckon around 8pm, so hopefully this change will happen as forecasted :)

I caught a train into the city at around 5.30pm - it was ridiculous. The 30 minute train took 90 minutes, with no air conditioning. Coming home at about 10.30-11pm wasn't much better, my train broke and the back half had no power, return trip probably took almost 2 hours due to delays.

---

The heat was insane, we went out to Yarramundi for a swim. Thankfully huskies cope really well in heat so the two huskies stayed at home and we just took the dally who thought she was dying. Didn't help when the cars aircon kept failing due to the heat :p

What a difference a day makes - early 20's most of the day, half of what they were yesterday :eek: and now below 20 :thumbsup: So great to be able to take my boys out for outings and walks in pleasurable conditions this afternoon, even got caught in the rain with my youngster, but neither he nor me cared as he is in his element when any water is around and I think he was secretly hoping for heavier rain to make some nice big puddles for him to roll around in :laugh: It wasn't too heavy and was actually quite pleasant walking in the rain.

Feel for you poor guys that didn't have aircon yesterday and for the train travellers that had to endure horrendous conditions and lengthy delays in the awful heat :( . Was great when the southerly finally blew in last night, was able to turn off the aircon and open doors and windows to let the lovely breeze in and it cooled things down pretty quickly. Thank god the extreme heat has gone and if weather forecasters are to be believed, it is gone for a long time, lets hope the forecast is correct:).

I live on the Central Coast, one hour north of Sydney town. We had 45 degrees yesterday, I sincerley hope we NEVER have those putrid temps again. Hopefully you are right as is the bureau of maybeoligy and we will not have another day like that!!! EVER!!!