Mucus Covered Poo

skully

Last week i realised i was late in giving Pebbles her worming tablet. I noticed she had been having some runnier than usual poo's and had seen some mucus in a couple of them i found in the yard. I gave her a big bone and after her tablet it seemed to clear up and i was only thinking today how much better it had been and i shouldn't worry so much.

Just noticed this in the yard. I've picked it up and put it in a container cause i think i should take her to the vet tomorrow and show them. Now i'm REALLY worried... any one seen anything like this before?

She hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary that i know of.

post-41861-0-37049000-1358576155_thumb.jpg

What do you feed her?

There seems to be a lot of whole grains in there, totally undigested ... perhaps, all that roughage/whole grain may be irritating the bowel, and so the body is trying to encase it in mucous to help get it through safely ? Bowel walls are sensitive ..and mucous is there to help protect them ..

I may be very wrong , of course :)

Vet is always a good plan .. but I would also suggest giving her much less cellulose /grain and see how she goes.

( that is much like the local fox poo , when they are a short of meat , and resort to eating berries/seeds/insects etc ..most of what they eat comes thru without being utilised :( )

Edited by persephone

we feed her roo/beef mince mixed with Vets All Natural musli stuff which does have a lot of grain type stuff in it. Also Optimum kibble for morning meal and in her kong wobbler. She gets liver treats for training and chicken necks.

We got some short cut bones from glenmore meats for her over christmas which were probably on the fatty side...maybe that's it - i gave her one of the leftover bones earlier in the week.

What do you feed her?

There seems to be a lot of whole grains in there, totally undigested ... perhaps, all that roughage/whole grain may be irritating the bowel, and so the body is trying to encase it in mucous to help get it through safely ? Bowel walls are sensitive ..and mucous is there to help protect them ..

I may be very wrong , of course :)

Vet is always a good plan .. but I would also suggest giving her much less cellulose /grain and see how she goes.

( that is much like the local fox poo , when they are a short of meat , and resort to eating berries/seeds/insects etc ..most of what they eat comes thru without being utilised :( )

That's what VAN looks like when it comes out the other end ;)

Providing she's still bright and alert I wouldn't stress too much. Feed her a few small meals of boiled chicken, cooked mashed pumpkin and rice (in place of her normal food) and it should settle on its own. If you find blood or it gets worse then off to the vet.

Is the VAN soaked? That is not normal pop for a VAN diet.

I was under the impression that the whole grains are supposed to pass through? Roughage, etc? Mine get VAN + RMBs and occasionally I will see some grain at the other end. I just presume it's normal. Perhaps a question for the VAN thread though..? smile.gif

ETA, or perhaps the grain is mostly undigested due to the dog having an irritated gut?

Edited by SecretKei

My dog has gone through this occasionally, the vet says it's just a stomach (digestive) upset. It almost looks like a slimy sausage skin covering the poo. Nothing to worry about. Has advised that bland food like rice, chicken, etc can help the digestion get back on track.

I read somewhere that the grains in the VAN 'complete mix' which get pooped out whole are intended to provide bulk, not nutrition.

My pup has had mucous covered poop after eating lamb flaps.

Wow, what a fantastic gimmick. Get people to pay huge amounts for something that that "provides bulk" :rofl:

I read somewhere that the grains in the VAN 'complete mix' which get pooped out whole are intended to provide bulk, not nutrition.

My pup has had mucous covered poop after eating lamb flaps.

Wow, what a fantastic gimmick. Get people to pay huge amounts for something that that "provides bulk" :rofl:

The grain is only part of the mix. Given that the majority of commercial foods do contain grain I don't see how it's 'gimmicky' confused.gif

I used to feed VAN & the grain is meant to pass through...something to do with anal glands or something. But to me, that picture of the poo, looks like NOTHING has been digested properly. It looks more like something the dog has vomited up, except it is obviously poo because of the mucous covering. But I wouldn't be too concerned about the whole grains, that is the way they should be, I would be more concerned that the rest doesn't look right.