Satisfy My Curiosity, Please!

chevbrock

Hi everyone, could you riddle me this?

We recently camped at Toowoon Bay Holiday Park (fabulous place to go with your family, both 2 and four-legged!) and there were plenty of dogs around, but what stood out for me, was that not once, did I hear a dog barking at night.

Was this because they were in unfamiliar territory, and didn't feel the need to defend it? Or was it because they were all just so exhausted from a wonderful day spent frolicking on the beach and meeting lots of new people?

We stay at lots of caravan parks with our dogs & with the odd exception it is usually pretty quite. I think its because, the type of people who love their dogs enough to take them on holidays with them, also love them enough to train them not to bark. :)

If you travel with dogs you need to teach them not to bark or you soon find yourself with no accommodation. It is one thing that is not tolerated in the few holiday places that allow dogs. The first question they ask when you book is "will the dogs bark" and if the answer isn't no then you do not get to make a booking.

We stay at lots of caravan parks with our dogs & with the odd exception it is usually pretty quite. I think its because, the type of people who love their dogs enough to take them on holidays with them, also love them enough to train them not to bark. :)

A bit of a generalisation?! I know lots of people and plenty on here that love their dogs and they still bark! I know when we camp with our dogs they don't bark. Some nights at home our dogs sleep outside as it is cooler, and they will bark as they can hear other dogs barking.

It could be that they are sleeping with their owners in such close quarters that they are relaxed enough not to be on alert. Our dogs when sleeping inside don't bark.

How do you teach a dog not to bark? I have one or two thoughts on it, but I'd like to know what others do (especially as trainers at my club have asked about this!! We want a bigger toolbox on this one!). My 2 bark less when we're away, I'm guessing it's an unfamiliar territory thing with them. Plus Kenz usually only barks if there is something to bark at (which for her is helicopters or light aircraft over the backyard and people walking dogs past the house, or on scooters going past the house).

How do you teach a dog not to bark?

From day 1 - I simply established a "no bark rule" anytime puppy made a sound that was not just a playful growl or little yap in play I would correct with one word 'uhh' so when out and about and exposed to many many experiences I always made them fun and rewarded quite approach and interaction.

New pup joined household Feb 2012 is obviously role modelling off older dog and does not make a sound, watches & follows lead of older dog in every respect, they have had their run around, mad time, zoomie play with a little vocal interaction but NO barking. Amazingly both my dogs use their paws, mouths and noses to initiate contact with me, and 12 month old pup uses a muffled growl if I ignore her and she wants my attention. :)

So I firmly believe if controlled from the outset it is far easier then trying to stop the situation once it is firmly ingrained.

Like kids in a classroom if the learning is interesting enough you keep their attention, if it isn't then disruption begins :laugh:

Edited by zeebie

How do you teach a dog not to bark?

From day 1 - I simply established a "no bark rule"

This. My dog has a very rarely used 'alert' bark, if you'd call it that, (typically used when he's found a big lizard or toad), but otherwise he was ignored and told 'enough' from Day 1.

I want to know if/when he has found a reptile of any sort so he, even now as a 3 year old, gets praise heaped on him for an appropriate bark.

rarely used 'alert' bark was ignored and told 'enough' from Day 1.

as a 3 year old, gets praise heaped on him for an appropriate bark.

:) Yep it works and mine simply runs to me and scratches at my leg or foot and then runs back to where issue is wanting me to follow. He can bark but chooses not too 99% of the time :)

A lot depends on the breed too. None of my Border Collies ever barked away from home because they are a quiet breed, were trained to not bark in the car or at shows and are so easy to train. The Japanese Spitz is another matter and I doubt he will ever learn not to alert bark at strange sounds when in the car, though he is good at shows too. The Jap Spitz is an "alert barking" breed so asking them to not bark is pretty hard.