Nt News - Dog Owner's Fury At Backyard Tryst

Paptacular!

Dog owner's fury at backyard tryst

A DOG owner has been accused of stealing dog sperm from a suburban backyard to breed puppies.

Jessica Pickering said a neighbour put their dog in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, for her five-year-old Siberian husky Komet to impregnate.

Ms Pickering is on holidays in Melbourne and was shocked when she heard what happened.

"I got a phone call from my house-sitter stating that someone had put their dog into my yard so that she could be bred with mine," the 24-year-old said.

"She didn't ask for permission and if she did ask for permission I would have agreed but a profit is just an added bonus. I guess she was too selfish to share the profits. I bought Komet as a pet, not to breed him.

"And for her to then return and say, 'Oh you found my dog' really annoys me.

Your Say

"Everyone knows that dogs can only produce 10000 litres of sperm in their lives. This isn't just theft, it's abusing a finite resource."

Mr Comato

"For someone to steal dog sperm is a pretty low act."

Her house-sitter has since chained and locked the garden gate.

"In case (the breeding) doesn't work and she comes back to try again," she said.

"What has this world come to people having to resort to this just so they can have puppies?

"I hope it doesn't work.

"I'm pretty sure I know who she is as she walks her dog every night past my house. She better pray I don't see her when I get back as I'll be confronting her about it."

Some pretty interesting comments about the story, plus a few 'Oh it's cruel to own a husky in the tropics' comments. *rolly eyes man*

Regardless of the ethics of breeding or not breeding this particular dog, this IS (if the claims are true) a case of theft of services. At the very least the owner of the dog would have a right to compensation in the form of a stud fee.

I have had this happen to me and I was livid. My dog is very well bred with all health testing done and someone popped their fluffy crossbreed over the fence as they would have cute puppies. Lets just say they will never do that again

I have had this happen to me and I was livid. My dog is very well bred with all health testing done and someone popped their fluffy crossbreed over the fence as they would have cute puppies. Lets just say they will never do that again

Good on you! I would be fit to do some real damage if anyone dared try that on me.

To think that people are taking advantage of others who try to be responsible about dog breeding...

Honestly, this is why I feel dogs should be supervised in yards or in locked runs. Being unable to keep your dog safe in your own backyard is unfortunate, but with poisonings, tree dwelling wildlife (in our case) and idiots who put their fertile bitches over your fence, you don't get much of a choice.

I see the female's owner as the bigger idiot. Even if the dogs had known of one another how could the owner be sure her dog wouldn't wind up mauled instead of pregnant, throwing it into another dog's territory? But the husky owner isn't awfully responsible either. If she's quite clear she never wanted to breed her husky, desex the dog. Breeding shouldn't be undertaken on a whim.

Some of the owners comments are beyond stupid but yep the situation sucks.

I was asked if someone could use my registered male over their non-rego'd bitch. I said no.

They told me they would just wait until she was in season and out her in with him, I woudl never know.

I told them they could try but if one hair was harmed on my dog they would be sued, they would also be sued for using my dog without my permission, not to mention any legal ramififcations.

I then added, not to mention that would be after I had finished dealing with them myself!!!

And they would have to get past a padlock.

Needless to say they laughed said they were joking and left it at that.

I would be livid if someone did that, not to mention all the other crap, imagine if they got injured or a disease that affected their fertility so they could no longer be used in your breeding program?? Why do people think they have the right to just take it because they want it. Really makes me cranky!

They would be welcome to take on me, my baseball bat and my fury!

Edited by OSoSwift

I see the female's owner as the bigger idiot. Even if the dogs had known of one another how could the owner be sure her dog wouldn't wind up mauled instead of pregnant, throwing it into another dog's territory? But the husky owner isn't awfully responsible either. If she's quite clear she never wanted to breed her husky, desex the dog. Breeding shouldn't be undertaken on a whim.

How is the husky owner not being a responsible owner? Whilst there are benefits for desexing, not intending to breed (or having irresponsible thieving neighbours) should not be a reason to desex.

How is the husky owner not being a responsible owner? Whilst there are benefits for desexing, not intending to breed (or having irresponsible thieving neighbours) should not be a reason to desex.

Have to agree. Her dog was contained, she did nothing wrong, and again there are legitimate reasons not to desex, especially up to a certain age.

"She didn't ask for permission and if she did ask for permission I would have agreed but a profit is just an added bonus. I guess she was too selfish to share the profits. I bought Komet as a pet, not to breed him.

So, she would have said yes but is whinging about not getting any money.

So, she would have said yes but is whinging about not getting any money.

Whether she would have said yes or not is really irrelevant as she didn't get the opportunity to make that decision. The owner of the bitch took something that was not hers that the owner of the dog would normally be compensated financially for. Guaranteed if it was a registered breeder's dog that has been used they would be yelling about the stud service fee too.