Just Saw Something Awful.....

Cartersmum

I have just seen something awful and I cannot get it out of my head.

I was out walking Carter, my Rottweiler in Seven Hills, NSW. I was walking through the reserve when I saw a man on a bike going up the hill with 2 dogs offleash. As we got closer to the road the dog that I thought was with him came running down the hill as we crossed the road to the middle section. This dog (looked like a Staffy/Pit Bull ran across the road to my dog, I tried to find a collar but he wasn't wearing one and there was no owner around. He had a sniff of my dog and then ran across the road again and then got hit by a car. It was awful, he was crying and obviously in pain. The driver stopped and so did a few runners but the dog limped away quite fast (this road is incredibly busy at peak time) I tried to find him and asked a few people down the road but they hadn't seen anything.

I feel so awful, I cried my eyes out - he didn't even have a collar to grab him :-(

How distressing for you, sorry you couldn't catch him..... :( My poor daughter when she was about 10 was walking home from school when they found a loose dog, the kids tried to catch it, but it ran on the road and got run over right in front of them. She rang me in histerics. Very distressing all round to witness something like that. :cry:

Lets hope this boy ran home and got some help.

This almost identical scene happened to me once, and the driver of the car left it to 17-year-old me to manage my own dog, get the injured dog off the road and try to find the owner. I couldn't find them, and as this was before the era of ubiquitous mobile phones I ended up knocking on someone's door to use their phone to call my mum and we took her to the vet ourselves. The poor girl had to have her leg amputated, but the vet found her owner, who was profusely grateful that we helped her dog and explained that the old collar had broken only that day, and she was actually out shopping for a new one when her dog escaped the yard.

I hope this one made it home and is being treated, poor thing :(

Oh :( not a nice thing to see. I witnessed a dog get hit by a car when I was little, it was horrible and I can still see it in my head like its happening right in front of me again :(

Hopefully he got home ok.

Ditto...and to this day I can clearly see the event unfold...and that was over 30 years ago...