Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jelly dont worry too much. Even the best of kids have an occasional breakout. Roo will be ok!

Agreed! You and Roo are doing marvellously....compared to the start of the thread [yes had a marathon read]. There will be small hurdles which are to be expected. But jeez I can definitely see a transformation in both you and Roo :thumbsup: keep up the good work hun :D

Get yourself a couple of the clips like leads have on them - clip the crate door with those for extra closing power. I had a foster once who worked out how to get the latches open, and the clips stopped him getting out unless I wanted him to.

Roo only gets a bronze star for today's efforts, OK? *grin*

T.

She stretched the bars then reached her paw through and swatted at the catch until it opened!

SMART!

May I suggest a stronger crate ..one of the mesh ones or something? that way there is no way to put a foot thru and risk getting hurt ..or getting her lower jaw caught....

Try not to stress too much Jelly just keep working on it, my girl has done terrible damage to her teeth over the years I will upload some pics, the crate training has really helped her and even though she did attack the crate badly once and did a lot of damage (to her and it!), luckily it's a really strong crate and survived the attack more or less. She has really settled a lot and is heaps better in the crate (and in general) these days. I've had her here full time for more than a year now, before that she was bounced around a bit which wouldn't have helped her anxiety.

Here's a couple of pics of her teeth, the little ones are pretty much down to nothing.

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

And of course a pic of the troublemaker herself :)

IMG_3794.jpg

ETA OMG I can't believe how huge those pics are clearly I should have scrubbed my fingernails after coming in from the horses before taking close up pics :laugh:

Edited by WoofnHoof

Oh! she is beautiful! But her poor little teeth :( Do you think she has a happy life now?

I hope you are all right. Roo didn't seem in particular distress on the video. Just determined. Where would I get a stronger crate do you think ? I've only seen versions of that one I've got online and in pet shops. I will definitely be trying the leash hook and cable tie idea. I'll do a bit more practice tomorrow.

Thanks Jelly she is a gorgeous girl :) I reckon 99% of the time she's happy or content these days, storms are her biggest issue by far and thankfully I've been home most of the time when we've had storms go through so I've been able to stop her getting over the top. I think a lot of the previous damage she's done was due to storm anxiety and being left outside without enough interaction.

I'm not sure where my crate came from I think mum picked it up from a garage sale so it's an older type with just the door at the front not the sides, it does have thicker bars than the ones that are in the shops these days she did bend the bars but not enough to get out luckily. It's quite a large one so maybe the larger crates have a thicker/stronger mesh? I had it for the husky but he doesn't really need it as much.

http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/dogs/dog-cages-crates/

Scroll down towards the bottom for the cage crates - larger ones on page 2.

Vebo crates are very sturdy, and the best price by far, although shipping to Victoria may be a little pricey.

I also saw that Petbarn have now got in some sturdy looking cage crates, but Vebo ones are cheaper and well known for their quality.

T.

Thanks guys, those vebopet ones look good and deliery to Vic isn't too bad; still only half of what I paid at Petstock for the Kramar one!

The c crates look good too JRG but have a wait on them, I think I need something stronger now.

This will be my third crate in 10 days....is that excessive?!

Thanks guys, those vebopet ones look good and deliery to Vic isn't too bad; still only half of what I paid at Petstock for the Kramar one!

The c crates look good too JRG but have a wait on them, I think I need something stronger now.

This will be my third crate in 10 days....is that excessive?!

Possibly excessive ...

The sturdiest crate I've had is the one I got for my first wheaten, which I got from Roll Over Rover in Grovedale (Geelong). Had it for years. It has a metal tray but even without that it it really heavy. I couldn't see a brand on it, though. :(

Jelly, Before you get another crate sight unseen perhaps give the shop a ring, ask what strength the wire is, think it's called tensile? I'm sure someone else on here will know what you ask for then again check on here and ask if that's a good strong one. I'm sure someone or their OH will be able to help. I've got one big one which looks much the same as the one in the pic and it's not that strong but ok for what I use.

Jelly, Before you get another crate sight unseen perhaps give the shop a ring, ask what strength the wire is, think it's called tensile? I'm sure someone else on here will know what you ask for then again check on here and ask if that's a good strong one. I'm sure someone or their OH will be able to help. I've got one big one which looks much the same as the one in the pic and it's not that strong but ok for what I use.

Have to second this. If Roo has destroyed 3 crates, before you get another you really need to know that it is the answer. I have a couple of crates from Vebopets and I'm not really sure they'd withstand a Roo assault.

This isn't a good outcome. :(

I would have thought the object of the crate training was to reduce the anxiety and activity associated with your absence, not just to keep her in increasingly fortified boxes.

I will repeat the advice I gave at the start of the thread.

Whatever you decide to do, set a time limit now. This has gone on for years and is ruining your life.

If the problem has not been solved or considerably improved by the date you set, then it's kindest to say enough's enough. The problem has worsened over time, if you allow it to continue to deteriorate you risk her fatally injuring herself.

Nobody can promise you that this dog can be improved, but you do have the power to ensure she will never suffer again.

While it is good that you are willing to make the effort, without a time scale to gauge improvement, I'm not sure how you say whether the training has been successful or not.