Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

We used clomicalm with a dog who developed anxiety when she had lymphoma. She developed several phobias and these disappeared when she was on the clomicalm - If possible I would give it another couple of weeks as it may reduce her anxiety to a level where she is able to learn new behaviours. Best wishes

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to put my foot down on this talk and speculation.

This is still, at least in most part, a private professional relationship between myself and Jelly. She can posts up whatever she feels comfortable to on here, I am open in what I do, but if her or I do not divulge EVERY single detail to you lot, that does not mean it's time for speculation, or panic behavior.

The medication situation and effects, as well as previous medication trials have been taken into consideration with my decisions regarding roo as well.

The behaviourists methods were Clomicalm, which appears to have made a tangible improvement.

They haven't actually. Not at all. In fact the dog's moving backwards on the medication.

It's OK greytmate, I actually know what I'm doing and your constant insistance of a time frame and written plan are frankly, annoying - I don't plan on protracting this situation forever but frankly our agreement is none of your business. Your insinuation like I'm some DVD scholared behavioral trainer is insulting. I do what I do, it works. I have spoken IN DEPTH to Jelly A LOT about all facets of this situation, and I literally have my phone open to her 24 hours a day, no matter what the problem is. I'm the last person to be unrealistic about this situation and Jelly knows this, but ultimately I will help her until she says she doesnt need my help anymore for whatever reason that may be.

So keep this thread light, that is the point of it.

I have done extensive searches on this forum around separation anxiety and I don't think any poster has received the level of support that Jellyblush has received. I believe the majority of posters have been genuinely caring and made constructive suggestions.

Jellyblush if you find this thread too overwhelming then perhaps you should just request that the thread be deleted and work with whomever you choose in private.

I have done extensive searches on this forum around separation anxiety and I don't think any poster has received the level of support that Jellyblush has received. I believe the majority of posters have been genuinely caring and made constructive suggestions.

Jellyblush if you find this thread too overwhelming then perhaps you should just request that the thread be deleted and work with whomever you choose in private.

I agree with the bolded bit and Jellyblush has made it crystal clear how much she appreciates the advice and support she has received.

I cannot see anywhere she has suggested this thread is too overwhelming. confused.gif ...And how is the level of support Jellyblush has received in comparison to others relevant or why is it even necessary to make that comparison?

All she has done is stated that she is now going to completely follow Nekhbets program. Nekhbet is the only one in this topic who has assessed Roo and her behaviour in the real world. I think it is reasonable to assume for the time being that Jelly and Nekhbet have got it covered and although updates are great Nekhbet shouldn't have to come in here to stave off well meaning internet advice and justify her own real life observations of Roo and the program she is implementing.

You have given some great advice, Rosetta and so have others but some of us would like to keep sending our well wishes without this topic being deleted and if Jelly wanted to deleted I am sure she can decide that off her own back.

Edited by corrie

I agree with the bolded bit and Jellyblush has made it crystal clear how much she appreciates the advice and support she has received.

I cannot see anywhere she has suggested this thread is too overwhelming. confused.gif ...And how is the level of support Jellyblush has received in comparison to others relevant or why is it even necessary to make that comparison?

All she has done is stated that she is now going to completely follow Nekhbets program. Nekhbet is the only one in this topic who has assessed Roo and her behaviour in the real world. I think it is reasonable to assume for the time being that Jelly and Nekhbet have got it covered and although updates are great Nekhbet shouldn't have to come in here to stave off well meaning internet advice and justify her own real life observations of Roo and the program she is implementing.

You have given some great advice, Rosetta and so have others but some of us would like to keep sending our well wishes without this topic being deleted and if Jelly wanted to deleted I am sure she can decide that off her own back.

Well she doesn't have to does she? And yes it is up to the OP whether she wants to take it on board - that is kind of my point.

Can't be bothered explaining my other points.

Edited by Rosetta

I think I'm going to put my foot down on this talk and speculation.

This is still, at least in most part, a private professional relationship between myself and Jelly. She can posts up whatever she feels comfortable to on here, I am open in what I do, but if her or I do not divulge EVERY single detail to you lot, that does not mean it's time for speculation, or panic behavior.

The medication situation and effects, as well as previous medication trials have been taken into consideration with my decisions regarding roo as well.

The behaviourists methods were Clomicalm, which appears to have made a tangible improvement.

They haven't actually. Not at all. In fact the dog's moving backwards on the medication.

It's OK greytmate, I actually know what I'm doing and your constant insistance of a time frame and written plan are frankly, annoying - I don't plan on protracting this situation forever but frankly our agreement is none of your business. Your insinuation like I'm some DVD scholared behavioral trainer is insulting. I do what I do, it works. I have spoken IN DEPTH to Jelly A LOT about all facets of this situation, and I literally have my phone open to her 24 hours a day, no matter what the problem is. I'm the last person to be unrealistic about this situation and Jelly knows this, but ultimately I will help her until she says she doesnt need my help anymore for whatever reason that may be.

So keep this thread light, that is the point of it.

:thumbsup:

:grouphug: for nek, jelly and Roo

Hi everyone, just popping in quickly to clear up any confusion regarding possibly finding the thread overwhelming - I find ROO overwhelming, but not this thread!

People have been wonderful with both encouragement and practical support, most especially Nekh but also so many others and I HUGELY appreciate it. I love this thread, it means a great deal to me to be able to share Roo's improvements or have people sympathise over her setbacks, I have absolutely no support in the actual world, none of my friends have dogs, and frankly, they all question my grasp on reality for caring so much about mine.

Without this thread both Roo and I would be in a much worse place, there is no doubt. So, I really would not like to see it either closed or deleted.

On the other hand, it is very upsetting to see Nekh questioned when she has helped me purely out of kindness. Both Nekh and I know Roo. A commitment to Nekh's advice and methods has been made - yes I'm very aware that there are other views and perspectives, and yes I originally came in here asking for some of those, but I have tried most if not all alternative approaches without success.

I would like to see this thread support Nekh as much as it does me, rather than question her or her methods. At the end of the day she is a person who is freely giving her time and attention to help me and my dog as best she can for no gain to herself.

How can anyone question Nekhbet? We don't really know what she's doing.

If anyone feels like some 'light' reading, there's a really well written and referenced paper on separation anxiety that's available here: http://www.behav.org/00library/articles/dog/dog_behav_separation_anx.pdf It may help to explain things like why a dog can be fine with separation in one context but not in others, and why some conflicting advice has been given about leaving signals and the likes. It's one of my favourite papers on SA.

There's also a great article on it by Robert Holmes here: http://adoreanimals.com/articles/lonely-dogs/, which touches on some of the psychological theories behind SA, like opponent-process theory, which sounds like it might be applicable to Roo. Robert Holmes gave a talk on emotional neural substrates and separation distress at a seminar I was at recently. I was pretty impressed with what he had to say. He was particularly concerned for dogs that may experience separation distress but not show it overtly. I am so happy this kind of thing is being talked about. I have met some dogs in the course of my research that have left me feeling uneasy about common living arrangements and lifestyles of dogs, not to mention how they are being trained and what they are being trained to do.

Lastly, for some heavy reading that is kind of indirectly related to SA, there is an excellent paper about pathological anxiety in animals here: http://igitur-archive.library.uu.nl/vet/2009-0128-200403/sdarticle.pdf It explains why fearful and anxious animals behave the way they do and gives a good rundown on signs to look for and what they indicate.

How can anyone question Nekhbet? We don't really know what she's doing.

If anyone feels like some 'light' reading, there's a really well written and referenced paper on separation anxiety that's available here: http://www.behav.org/00library/articles/dog/dog_behav_separation_anx.pdf It may help to explain things like why a dog can be fine with separation in one context but not in others, and why some conflicting advice has been given about leaving signals and the likes. It's one of my favourite papers on SA.

There's also a great article on it by Robert Holmes here: http://adoreanimals.com/articles/lonely-dogs/, which touches on some of the psychological theories behind SA, like opponent-process theory, which sounds like it might be applicable to Roo. Robert Holmes gave a talk on emotional neural substrates and separation distress at a seminar I was at recently. I was pretty impressed with what he had to say. He was particularly concerned for dogs that may experience separation distress but not show it overtly. I am so happy this kind of thing is being talked about. I have met some dogs in the course of my research that have left me feeling uneasy about common living arrangements and lifestyles of dogs, not to mention how they are being trained and what they are being trained to do.

Lastly, for some heavy reading that is kind of indirectly related to SA, there is an excellent paper about pathological anxiety in animals here: http://igitur-archive.library.uu.nl/vet/2009-0128-200403/sdarticle.pdf It explains why fearful and anxious animals behave the way they do and gives a good rundown on signs to look for and what they indicate.

Great info Corvus! I myself would like to see a separate thread set up to discuss separation anxiety in general - and perhaps other anxiety related conditions -unrelated to this topic so no one can take offence - with discussions of various treatments, people's experiences etc. It would be great if such a topic could be "pinned" so all the discussion and information could be found easily and people feel free to discuss the subject openly.

oh and as to why this thread on separation anxiety has so many posts - it is clearly cos my dog is so cute :laugh:

You better believe she's darned cute! And she has a fan club right here... regardless of her issues and whether or not they can be fixed (fingers crossed they can)

T.

Absolutely agree bianca, I'd love to keep following Roo's story, she's become one of those DOL "family" dogs.

And Jelly, at the thought of thread being deleted I was going to post "pleeeease don't, I wanna keep seeing the gorgeous Roo photos".

I love the one with the pig in her mouth, I imagine her presenting you with it and saying "look I have a pig" then you say "oh thank you" and go to take it from her, the she looks annoyed and says "no, it's my pig, hmph" :rofl: