Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad this thread hasn't been deleted! i am learning so much from it and am absolutely blown away bu the positive, educational and constructive advice given here. Admittedly I wish we could see some videos of Nehk working her magic too but I am just greedy!

I have no idea why certain Grey (or beige LOL) type individuals are demanding timeframes etc etc. None of their business and their cynicism does not do them any credit in an otherwise wonderful forum!

I have no idea why certain Grey (or beige LOL) type individuals are demanding timeframes etc etc. None of their business and their cynicism does not do them any credit in an otherwise wonderful forum!

excuse me?

No one is making demands. Some are strongly encouraging the adoption of timeframes and objective records by which to measure progress. I explained why a few pages back. If you don't understand, feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain it in terms that make more sense to you. The best trainers and behaviourists in the world do this kind of thing for a reason. It can be a huge help to both dog and human and I have no doubt those suggesting it have Jelly and Roo's best interests at heart.

No one is making demands. Some are strongly encouraging the adoption of timeframes and objective records by which to measure progress. I explained why a few pages back. If you don't understand, feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain it in terms that make more sense to you. The best trainers and behaviourists in the world do this kind of thing for a reason. It can be a huge help to both dog and human and I have no doubt those suggesting it have Jelly and Roo's best interests at heart.

No one actually knows what I have implemented except Jelly, so to comment on what needs to be done by myself - and read that as people telling me how to do my job - is redundant. I am far from the type of person to string a client along when I can get results in a direct manner that will be long lasting - that's what is good for the dog and that is always my primary concern.

So glad this thread hasn't been deleted! i am learning so much from it and am absolutely blown away bu the positive, educational and constructive advice given here. Admittedly I wish we could see some videos of Nehk working her magic too but I am just greedy!

You're welcome to come down and pick my brain on a quiet saturday with your own dogs if you have the time, or you can muck around with a couple of mine. Or feel free to bring down any random mental dog, we're easy :laugh:

Brooke isn't the only one who saw certain posts as demanding a fix by date. As Nekh has said it's really not anyone's business.

Though a few Roo pics wouldn't go astray ...

Mmmm wondering if driving my random mental dog to Melbourne on a weekly basis would qualify me as mental.....probably! Careful Nekhbet you could wake up tomorrow to a bunch of batty dogs at your front door.

None of their business.

Maybe it's time to change the title of the thread. As it stands, it's 'Please help me save my dog'. Because, when started, Jelly was asking for general input and ideas.

Since then, Roo and Jelly are now under the direction of Nekhbet and they have a plan of action going on between them. I can understand them wanting to focus on applying that plan. Certainly I had to do that, when our sheltie was being trained out of separation anxiety ... concentrate on the plan set out by a vet behaviourist.

It's more a case of following Roo's journey on a particular road now.

Edited by mita

No one actually knows what I have implemented except Jelly, so to comment on what needs to be done by myself - and read that as people telling me how to do my job - is redundant.

Has anyone said "Nekhbet needs to set timelines for Jelly and Roo."? There's a difference between that and "Timelines and objective measures can play an important role in judging progress." Or even "Jelly, I encourage you to adopt a timeline for your own and your dog's continued health and well being." These things are also considered best practice. If you want to fight about that feel free to start a topic on it, but I don't see a need. Either you're guiding Jelly in that or you're not. That part is no one else's business. But on a public forum, I figure it's anyone's business to say relevant things on the topic. There may be others facing similar issues for whom these comments are very useful. If we're suddenly not allowed to say stuff that could possibly (but possibly not, seeing as no one knows) contradict Nekhbet's instructions, then it becomes a highly censored thread and no one actually knows what they are allowed to say and what they are not. If it's that much of a big deal, then there should be a separate "Support Jelly-Roo" thread so everybody can stop getting so needlessly prickly.

Brooke isn't the only one who saw certain posts as demanding a fix by date. As Nekh has said it's really not anyone's business.

I second tha call for more Roo pics... *grin*

T.

No one actually knows what I have implemented except Jelly, so to comment on what needs to be done by myself - and read that as people telling me how to do my job - is redundant.

Has anyone said "Nekhbet needs to set timelines for Jelly and Roo."? There's a difference between that and "Timelines and objective measures can play an important role in judging progress." Or even "Jelly, I encourage you to adopt a timeline for your own and your dog's continued health and well being." These things are also considered best practice. If you want to fight about that feel free to start a topic on it, but I don't see a need. Either you're guiding Jelly in that or you're not. That part is no one else's business. But on a public forum, I figure it's anyone's business to say relevant things on the topic. There may be others facing similar issues for whom these comments are very useful. If we're suddenly not allowed to say stuff that could possibly (but possibly not, seeing as no one knows) contradict Nekhbet's instructions, then it becomes a highly censored thread and no one actually knows what they are allowed to say and what they are not. If it's that much of a big deal, then there should be a separate "Support Jelly-Roo" thread so everybody can stop getting so needlessly prickly.

Corvus, I have no idea if you've set up a lecture everyone on separation anxiety thread but on this thread I suggest that people are getting prickly because you and someone else keep drivelling on about deadlines. Objective or not, I am certainly finding it annoying, particularly given the end result of failure by your insistent deadline is a dog being pts.

Mmmm wondering if driving my random mental dog to Melbourne on a weekly basis would qualify me as mental.....probably! Careful Nekhbet you could wake up tomorrow to a bunch of batty dogs at your front door.

Teehee I was thinking the same!!! Shall we plan a time to arrive en mass? :rofl:

Yes please to some more pics of your sweet girl! :)

Hey everyone! Every time I don't post for a couple of days I come in and there's so much to respond to. OKAY to the call for more pics....they are on the way .... :)

It can be a huge help to both dog and human and I have no doubt those suggesting it have Jelly and Roo's best interests at heart.

Just wanted to say - while I don't want to get into the debate about deadlines, I really do feel every single person who has posted in this thread has done so with Roo's well-being in mind, and to me, that is wonderful.

I am far from the type of person to string a client along when I can get results in a direct manner that will be long lasting - that's what is good for the dog and that is always my primary concern.

This is completely true and Nekh has been very upfront about it.

Or feel free to bring down any random mental dog, we're easy :laugh:

Anyone looking for a random mental dog to take to see Nekh, I have a very cute ginger one here who is available for excursions! Apparently ferrets are also welcome.....

So lovely to see requests for Roo pics. Makes me feel I am not quite so crazy for thinking she is honestly, truly, the cutest thing on four paws!

Careful Nekhbet you could wake up tomorrow to a bunch of batty dogs at your front door.

The mind boggles.....

Here's the pics! Update to follow.....

15863_353237925553_4746686_n1_zps769799a1.jpg

9226_286845270553_2856060_n_zpsdf77391e.jpg

166799_10150120516639384_4725659_n_zps60266527.jpg

Edited by Jellyblush

So a little update for everyone on both Roo and I suppose me as well. Roo is going well in the new crate but after her injuries of late I am very nervous to try longer absences - usually I just sit on front step for up to 30 minutes but need to make that mental leap to actually going out, briefly, and seeing how she goes. The crate needs some mesh on the inside as it is very strong and I'm worried about her damaging herself on it. So that is my Easter project.

This week, I have to go interstate for work. It is a sort of reward to be asked to go if that makes sense, plus I was chosen as the others all said they couldn't possibly as they have kids...I felt like saying, yes, but you have partners and my dog is possibly harder to leave than your kids! Haha. However. Roo will go to a friend and hopefully will be ok. I REALLY hope so. She will go to daycare each day :)

She is loving daycare, and for anyone interested there are HEAPS of pics put up by them each day, Roo is there Tuesday and Thursday, They get some really cute ones of her. So far I have been really impressed with them:

https://www.facebook.com/tailswaggin?fref=ts

Here's a pic from daycare, it's so cute :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/c9.0.403.403/p403x403/45432_491038260956258_760397214_n.jpg

The downside to that is, I guess, realising that the meds are not enough. She does still self harm when home alone on meds. I can tell by the video and also the state of her teeth when I get home - they have silver on them from the steel doors when she's been harming, plus the state of her throat, which she scratches till it bleeds.

I have come a long way personally from my first post here, and it's in no small part to having this as an outlet and especially to Nekh, but also to all of you for the hope and encouragement you have given me. When I first posted here, I was despairing of ever leaving the house for so much as a coffee, and wondering if I'd have to choose between Roo, my only family, and always being along because how could I ever meet anyone ?

Well, thanks to Nekh, crates, daycare, meds and the forum, I did manage to go on an internet date! And a couple of months on everything is great, the man I met loves Roo, she loves him and is getting her her own crate for his place, plus can occasionally work from home and have her with him. So maybe I can have a life and my crazy little dog after all :)

20130127_1439020_zpse26ad4d1.jpg

Edited by Jellyblush

Oh I think so. Lets have batty dog day at Nekhbets' house! Lets give them all red cordial and sugary cupcakes just for good measure, then we can let them off leash and see what happens.

I have one I could send over on a plane :laugh: