Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

:thumbsup:

(even tho I don't like the idea of dogs crated for so long)

you both did well ...I wonder which of you felt worse? ;)

Def. ditch the beanbag! My old Mitch ..he went into a boarding kennel with his nice new beanbag ..and the kennel owners were still finding beans for days :p

:)

I don't either, in fact, I hate it, which is why I had not tried crating before - I just never considered it a humane solution. But honestly, in the comparison between her in crate and her tearing herself to pieces in the backyard, there is no doubt as to which is more humane.

My hope is that the crate is not a long term solution, just like the meds. Over time, I'd like to get to the point where she is 100% calm in the crate, then wean off meds while still in the crate, then transition the crate to the backyard, eventually crate with door open in backyard...just like another kennel.

Of course I am making this all up and have run none of it past Nekh or anyone else at this point, it's just my dream for the future. I know it will be a long road to that point if at all.

For now, I'm just thrilled that Roo isn't hurting herself, or at risk elsewhere.

P.s. I am SO hearing you on the bl00dy beans! Also, after smugly saying in the other thread that my house doesn't smell of dog....crating Roo all day has put an end to that I think!

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy that she did well, I knew she would!

Don't think I too had the idea of the crate being long term, but if it means she's calm, quiet and safe, it's a huge leap in her wellbeing, and you have some freedom so you learn to relax. A step at a time, but it's a huge step that you can now leave the house for whatever reason and your dog is safe.

Once again, that is not damage :laugh: remember that shepherd you met? Hes still in reo-bar :laugh:

One big difference :thumbsup: Even the 2 hour one isn't too bad. I would have expected a dog as strong as Roo would/could have done a lot more - Ok there's me sticking my nose in too, take no notice :laugh:

Compared to her frenzy when out the back, it's not too bad at all. If I've understood Nekh correctly, this is an indication that her distress is part habit rather than full blown terror.

Here's a couple of pics of her poor little teeth after just a few weeks of chewing on the back door.

20130218_190552_zps7e3c795b.jpeg

20130218_190632_zpsa527c91c.jpeg

So, she was definitely getting more worked up into the frenzy out there. That's why I'm so happy she's safer now.

it's a huge leap in her wellbeing, and you have some freedom so you learn to relax.

Can't wait! Just like her self-harming = my worrying = her anxiety = her self-harming and so on into a downward spiral, the opposite positive compounding effect should also hopefully be true.

One big difference :thumbsup: Even the 2 hour one isn't too bad. I would have expected a dog as strong as Roo would/could have done a lot more - Ok there's me sticking my nose in too, take no notice :laugh:

Compared to her frenzy when out the back, it's not too bad at all. If I've understood Nekh correctly, this is an indication that her distress is part habit rather than full blown terror.

Here's a couple of pics of her poor little teeth after just a few weeks of chewing on the back door.

<pics snipped>

So, she was definitely getting more worked up into the frenzy out there. That's why I'm so happy she's safer now.

Silly girl, Roo.

It's awesome that she did so well in the crate while you were at work Jelly! :thumbsup: I have to leave my SV in the crate when I'm at work she as she escapes from the yard and I haven't got anywhere else secure for her, she was fine once she got used to it and got into the routine.

Mine aren't properly crate trained, although the younger two were crated at night as puppies, but due to my circumstances at the moment I'm often home and sleeping/snoozing in bed during the day and all three really spend hours on end just sleeping in the same spot. Saxon stays in my room with me and occasionally moves from bed to floor, the other two I hear lying in the hallway outside my door stretching and moving occasionally. They really may as well be in a crate for all they move, even though they have the option to move around in the house and go outside through the doggy door.

So seriously, don't think it's mean to keep Roo in the crate, once she's a calm relaxed dog she probably won't be too interested in doing anything when you're not there and up and about anyway. Oh, and mine are 3 1/2, nearly 2 and 15 months so still young and active yet happy to laze around.

Hi everyone, little update for you.

I had a call from a lovely girl from Gumtree who wanted to mind Roo five days. But, I am just haunted by the experience of the Uni girls letting her out and can't bring myself to trust again no matter how nice they sound.

Since Roo went okay in the crate, I have a new plan - 2 days crated, 2 days daycare and (fingers crossed) 1 day working at home.

Just for the next few weeks then I'll look at another crate day. Hope my boss goes for it.

I couldn't afford 5 days per week daycare but 2 is okay, and at least I will know she is safe and with professionals.

She's booked into Ka-Pooch! tomorrow. Anyone heard of them? In Fairfield, Melbourne

AND the best part of it is....after a full day of exercise and interaction at daycare, if I wanted to crate her for a couple of hours in the evening to ...oh, I don't know, go on a date for the first time in years.... I probably could!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Jellyblush