Sign in to follow this  
Jellyblush

Please Help Me Save My Dog

889 posts in this topic

Greymate, I do understand your point, and agree that improvements must be seen in a reasonable time period. I have a timeframe in mind which I have discussed with my vet behaviourist, and wish to discuss with Nekh when I see her on the weekend as well, remember Roo is also on a new medication which I do not expect is working at it's full capacity yet since she's only been on it 11 days.

That's good. Did the vet say how long the medication would take? I think any training professional should be able to give an indication of what outcomes are to be expected within a certain time frame to determine success of that particular method, or any alternative methods. You also need to be clear about what you do want to achieve.

When Roo's anxious moments are greater than her happy moments it will be time to pts. With my current arrangements for her care she is crated a total of under 20 hours per week. That leaves a lot of very happy time EVEN IF you assume she's anxious every second she's in the crate, which I don't.

Yes that is an outcome, but I wouldn't be satisfied if one of my dogs was unhappy or anxious for up to half of its life.

A another outcome you could consider is the ability to come and go from your home, to work and to occasional social outings, knowing that your dog is safe and is in an environment that keeps her satisfied. That is a higher expectation, but it is the outcome I would want to have if it was my dog.

Good luck with this. I do want things to work out for you, and I am glad Nek is helping you.

Geeze Greymate, you are sounding like the "Grim Reaper". :eek:

The dog has a very serious problem that could see it badly hurt or killed. I'm hoping it can be fixed, but I am not 100% sure that it can be.

Jelly has to discuss this with Nek. I'm just putting it up here. Any failure is not seen by me as a personal failure that is for sure. Both Jelly and Nek are pretty dedicated people.

Aidan3   
remember Roo is also on a new medication which I do not expect is working at it's full capacity yet since she's only been on it 11 days.

Yes, you need at least four weeks, up to six to see improvement. Did the vet behaviourist give you an idea of what to look for as far as signs of improvement?

I also crated her too soon after eating (i.e. she had energy).

That's usually a good time, "rest and digest". Energy from food can be stored indefinitely.

Alkhe   

Ohh I just saw a pic on FB (one of my friends works at Ka-Pooch) and recognised her from this thread! I haven't even posted in here, but have been reading and silently wishing you well.

I've never been to Ka Pooch either, but I would trust Em with my dogs 100%. She's in good hands there :thumbsup:

Erny   

JB - contact Puppy Power 9791 9222. They sell via EBay so you can have a squizz at what they have, but they also have a showroom in Dandenong South that gives you the opportunity to 'touch and feel' the good ol' fashioned way, so you can see and feel the quality and strength of the crates they have available. Great people to deal with and reasonable prices.

I bought one of the animates ones from pet barn for my border, it seems pretty sturdy to me, but he doesn't chew on it so I can't say how well it would stand up to Roo jaws.

pebbles   

Hi again, Jelly, Had to go out today and was trying to think of the right word for wire size, annoyed me all day lol.

Wire size is in 'gauge' (well I think that's it lol) Surely these a lot brighter than me on here and can give the right name :o

Anyway - thinking of you and Roo - it'll work out :thumbsup:

Nekhbet   

Here's a sturdy dog crate for you :D those black ones you can bend the bars with your fingers if you try hard enough

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOG-RESIDENCE-SOLID-STEEL-2-DOOR-DOG-PET-CRATE-by-SAVIC-LARGE-91CM-/130661299749?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item1e6c053625

and its puppy powder who I originally got my crate from. I put together a couple of these at my last job, my god you could hold hit the small one with a car I reckon and it wouldn't dint.

If she's not stressed she's just finding things to do, you just have to stay one stay ahead of roo unfortunately. As I said I didn't hold high hopes for the black crate, so don't take it as a failure. Clip it shut, bend the bars back and use some strong black cable ties to tie up the gaps she's made.

And just to make you feel better (kinda :laugh:) this was done by my rescue GSD

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

culprit on the right there

DSC_0531.jpg

One $200 Snooza bed care of the rescue Malinois ... I didn't even leave the house for this one

DSC_0523.jpg

Yes. She's so upset about the whole thing...

Edited by Nekhbet

mantis   

Here's a sturdy dog crate for you :D those black ones you can bend the bars with your fingers if you try hard enough

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOG-RESIDENCE-SOLID-STEEL-2-DOOR-DOG-PET-CRATE-by-SAVIC-LARGE-91CM-/130661299749?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item1e6c053625

and its puppy powder who I originally got my crate from. I put together a couple of these at my last job, my god you could hold hit the small one with a car I reckon and it wouldn't dint.

If she's not stressed she's just finding things to do, you just have to stay one stay ahead of roo unfortunately. As I said I didn't hold high hopes for the black crate, so don't take it as a failure. Clip it shut, bend the bars back and use some strong black cable ties to tie up the gaps she's made.

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

One $200 Snooza bed care of the rescue Malinois ... I didn't even leave the house for this one

DSC_0523.jpg

:rofl: I wish I had photos of all the damage Kenny did, 2 couches, 1 futon bed, 3 doonas & numerous pillows, cushions & items of clothing. I still loved him. :laugh:

Edited by mantis

Snook   

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

Look at that face. I don't believe for a second that she's the culprit. :p

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a set back with Roo, Jelly. As others have said though, there will be times when stuff like this happens and she takes a step or two backwards but I'm honestly so completely amazed at how far she's come since you saw Nekhbet considering the point you were both at before then. You should be so incredibly proud of the both of you. :thumbsup:

Oh my gosh Nekh, that last photo is adorable! Hard not to forgive a furry little snout like that :) That must be my problem, way too much of a sucker for a big pair of gooey eyes!

Cheers everyone for the input on the crates. Here's this thing - I have a perfectly secure backyard. My issue with leaving Roo in it is that shes injured all her teeth chewing on the steel doors. So, if I get a really strong steel crate, I dunno....how is that different? She might as well be in the backyard?

Unless the crate thing is the hope that eventually she will just have a light bulb moment and like it, which, if so (and Nekh says so on the weekend or before) then I'll keep at it. Otherwise, I might as well save my money and go back to the backyard.

She was in the backyard today and the video footage was great, no panic. I put stuff she hates all over the backdoors (another good bit of Nekh advice) just happened to be her calming paste so haha doubly good effect if she licks it off! Anyway she was cool, hung out, played with her toys and slept in her kennel. JUST LIKE A NORMAL DOG lol!

Daycare tomorrow. Really liking Ka-pooch, that was a good move.

Jelly the thing with the crate is it's not just another confinement it's meant to help soothe the dog's mind as it is supposed to be like a den. While in a yard they can run around and hype themselves up the den feeling is meant to be calming and non-stimulating, encouraging them to chill out while they are in there. That's been my experience and perception of it anyway, you aren't just locking the dog up you are changing it's outlook and it's level of susceptibility to outside stimulation. It's like the way activity rooms and sleeping rooms are decorated and managed differently in a day care centre, in the sleeping area you don't want heaps of distracting colours and sounds as it will prevent them from relaxing even if they aren't sleeping the environment encourages more quiet behaviour.

That sounds so encouraging, Jellyblush :thumbsup:

Woof, thanks for that vey clear and succinct explanation for the use of crates. So helpful for when trying to explain to others

cherylv   

Just in case this is of help - have not read all the posts- have you tried Bach rescue drops they are used for people also

just googled & found this link - it may be USA but you can buy them in health food shops and chemists usually

Bach rescue remedy

also I used a herbal product for my cat years ago they released it via the vet it seemed to work - will have to try to find the name.

PM me if you want to find it. They had one for dogs also.

A friend of mine gets a special chew that they buy & cut into strips takes ages to get through and keeps their dog occupied - they also have a walker come once or twice a week when they are at work - agree expensive but maybe you could share (say do something for them instead of exchanging money.

Hope this helps a little

cherylv

JulesP   

A very interesting keeping dog busy trick that I read on here years ago was chicken frames tied to the branches of a tree. Imagine a dog could have a bit of fun with that for a while!

Jelly the thing with the crate is it's not just another confinement it's meant to help soothe the dog's mind as it is supposed to be like a den. While in a yard they can run around and hype themselves up the den feeling is meant to be calming and non-stimulating, encouraging them to chill out while they are in there. That's been my experience and perception of it anyway, you aren't just locking the dog up you are changing it's outlook and it's level of susceptibility to outside stimulation. It's like the way activity rooms and sleeping rooms are decorated and managed differently in a day care centre, in the sleeping area you don't want heaps of distracting colours and sounds as it will prevent them from relaxing even if they aren't sleeping the environment encourages more quiet behaviour.

Thanks that's a great explanation, and I do get it...it just doesn't seem to be working out for Roo or I'm not doing it right. She did stay in all day on Monday but every time since then including tonight, even though only short practice stays, she's gone mental and busted out of it. I must be doing something wrong or going too fast, I'm trying to mix up the durations and not giving her much the rest of the time, she has her food in there and she hangs out in there when I'm home, so I don't know....