Sign in to follow this  
Jellyblush

Please Help Me Save My Dog

889 posts in this topic

Cosmolo   

Don't assume you are doing something wrong. Talk to Nek and/ or your vet behaviourist to work out where to go from here.

Kajirin   

Don't assume you are doing something wrong. Talk to Nek and/ or your vet behaviourist to work out where to go from here.

+1

Self doubt is insidious in nature....try not to be too hard on yourself. You are getting there!

tdierikx   

Don't panic Jelly... think of how well Roo has been doing so far.

It's a big ask to expect Roo to turn herself around in a very short timeframe. You WILL have the occasional setback, but perseverence is the key, OK?

If you have any doubts/issues, give Nekh a call - she's been an awesome help so far, yes? I'm sure she'll have some very constructive advice to counter Roo's hiccup moments...

T.

Nekhbet   

Roo and Jelly should be coming today so we'll see what's going on. I think Roo just doesn't understand no frankly, everything's open slather for destruction for her when she feels she doesn't want to deal with it or it's in her way.

*kirty*   

Also, with this crate she has learnt that she can get out of it. I would not be putting her in the crate until you get the new, indestructible one. Every time she breaks out of this crate, she is reinforcing the behaviour.

+1

Self doubt is insidious in nature....try not to be too hard on yourself. You are getting there!

+2

prgress is most often a series of steps forwards and back... just try to remain consistent and positive within yourslef. you are heading in the right direction BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE

H

Also, with this crate she has learnt that she can get out of it. I would not be putting her in the crate until you get the new, indestructible one. Every time she breaks out of this crate, she is reinforcing the behaviour.

Neither would I. Setbacks can cause behaviour to be stronger than ever and make it harder to modify. :(

Nek, have you given Jelly a written program for the training? It's a bit sad that she thinks she might have done the wrong thing when she has been putting such a big effort in. A written plan with a timeline would make it clearer for Jelly as to what she needs to do each day, and enable her to determine if she is able to follow the training program all of the way through to its conclusion. She needs to be confident about the training and not be second guessing as to whether she is doing it right.

mita   

I think Roo just doesn't understand no frankly, everything's open slather for destruction for her when she feels she doesn't want to deal with it or it's in her way.

This seems in line with the overall written plan we were given by the UQ vet behaviorist with our furniture- ripping sheltie. That plan had a central plank of obedience training (in everyday life).

We had to really stress that .... she had to learn to earn anything she got, from treats to attention like pats, to food to ride in the car. Always she had to obey the directions of 'Come', 'Sit'. And we were told to ignore any attempts by her to 'demand' those things. She had to learn that we initiated what happened for her in her life.... not her. Any 'asking' from her .... like eye contact, jumping up, whimpering, barking had to be ignored. In fact, we had to turn our backs if necessary & no eye contact.

We had to pick a moment when she was not taking any notice of us, to call her for her good things in life (but 'Sit' first).

We were also told to make sure she didn't rush before us thro' doorways & gates. In fact, for a while I had a light lead tucked into her collar so I could control the 'Sit' and 'Wait; before I went thro' the gate. Eventually it wasn't needed.

This had to be consistently done as the vet explained learning was cumulative so it's not surprising that it gradually 'soaks' in over weeks, even months. It's not like a light suddenly going on. New learning requires new neurological pathways being laid down. Also (same with children), there can be an escalation of 'bad' behaviour during the time the new behaviour is being introduced. Oddly enough, it can be a sign that the 'new learning' is making its mark... the old habit is fighting back against 'a new kid on the block'. That can explain some setbacks. But the trick is to keep going forward without missing a beat.

This was part of a written plan which included other things as well. Made it clear to follow. Article that best reflects what lay behind it:

http://www.westwoodanimalhospital.com/BhvArticles/separation_anxiety1.htm

Edited by mita

OSoSwift   

To me it it sounding more like a tantrum and I can get out, rather than I am very very stressed and beyond thinking and break out.

Best of luck and I am sure Nek will have you on the straight and narrow very very shortly.

Nekhbet   
Nek, have you given Jelly a written program for the training? It's a bit sad that she thinks she might have done the wrong thing when she has been putting such a big effort in. A written plan with a timeline would make it clearer for Jelly as to what she needs to do each day, and enable her to determine if she is able to follow the training program all of the way through to its conclusion. She needs to be confident about the training and not be second guessing as to whether she is doing it right.

Everyone reeeeeemaaaaaaaaaaaaain caaaaaaaaaaaaaalm ... all is well. Jellys got 24 hour harassment privelages so don't think she can't get support in between times or reinforcement of an idea. I see why she got upset, it's a dog with a long term problem that went back a bit but all is well. We saw Roo today, we all had a good chat and discussion, went through a few things to see how Roos temperament is coming along with the changes etc and we're getting there.

Rome wasn't build in a day :D

Tell me about it!!

:laugh:

Don't worry Greymate, Nekh is looking after me very well and I know is at the end of the phone if I have a question.

I was just worried I'd gone a bit fast, and made her dislike the crate, but actually don't think the crate is the issue now - think it is the 'buzz' of the escape. The fact that Roo is currently chilling in said crate by choice adds weight to that.

Someone very generous who shall remain nameless has offerred me a much stronger crate, which I will pick up as soon as possible, and we will see how that goes.

Which seems like a good time to thank all of you for the constant support and many very practical offers of help I've had - so kind from people I've never met! Amazing.

Wish us luck!!

OSoSwift   

You don't need luck :) You will have it sorted very soon I am sure.

Good to hear Roo is coming along and no Rome wasn't built in a day :) Little Roolets will chill with time :) YOua re doing a great job.

And don't forget there is a wider support team and fan base that is watching your onfield progress ( cos we don't know how to help) from the sidelines. (Sorry - footy's about to start again and I can't help myself! laugh.gif).

Remember its always two steps forward one step back when you are trying to make major changes. So keep going!! smile.gif

tdierikx   

Persistence and patience will work out pretty much most things in time.

Roo is making good progress, and Jelly is doing awesomely well.

Hang in there - it will work out for the best soon enough, OK?

Oh - and we need more pics of the lovely Roo...

T.

And don't forget there is a wider support team and fan base that is watching your on field progress ( cos we don't know how to help) from the sidelines.

this!!!

Nekhbet   

Melatonin can be dangerous if not used properly, just because things are natural does not mean they are safe. I would look into dietary and exercise routines before going into supplementation at this level. Even though it's out and about it's not government recognised as 'safe'.