Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true Snooks! We are!

We had a great day. My head is spinning a bit - a lot of what I learned is contrary to advice from behaviourist BUT the previous advice hasn't showed sustainable results, it's been one step forward and two back.... I was really struck by how logical the advice I got today was.

We bought a crate on the way home. It's a bit flimsy and I don't think it'll last long but I got the people at Petstock to say I could return it if it seemed too flimsy, so we might do that and look for something stronger. Apart from that though, Roo seems pretty happy in there, scooted in of her own accord and I shut the door while I friend and I watched a movie, no stressing. The advice I got today to separate the backyard from the confinement was great. As was the advice I got on changing feeding pattern ,those two things struck me the most, but I learned heaps. Roo is a bit dubious about the calming paste. I'm really grateful to Nekhbet, glad I found this forum and the great advice on it, and I'm sure it'll be a slow progression but I'm at least hopeful now I have some new things to try.

Friend and I then took Roo to the pub to celebrate :) Who says you can't have a social life with a nutty dog...turns out she's even a bit of a man magnet :laugh:

That's great but honestly, I was waiting for the promised 'Nekhbet is a bogan' photos ...

bolt.gif

Nekhbet is not the bogan she promised (false advertising!). She is actually very pretty. Disappointed! :laugh:

Wrong she's a big bogan loves ferrets. bolt.gif

Ahemmm...and what is wrong with ferrets BB???? I had ferrets as a kid and I still love the stinky little rascals! Oh hang on I might be a bogun! :laugh: :eek:

Just been reading and following this little dog Roos, plight. She is so lucky to have you Jellyblush. :)

Edited by LizT

Hi guys. Thanks for checking in on us :) Sorry for the lack of updates. Things have not been going that well to be honest. Roo did seem a little better her first couple of days home alone in the backyard after the clomicalm kicked in, but then regressed again. The vet behaviourist has recommended another drug that could be used in combination with the clomicalm if need be, trazodone, and gave me a sample. I declined to use it, as I'm not even happy about the clomicalm and would really prefer Roo wasn't medicated - anyway, I did ended up trying it but it didn't help anyway. I've attached some pics of Roo on a dose of clomicalm plus the trazodone - I came home to found she torn her nails, scratched her neck till it bled, bitten her leg till it bled, and broken another tooth. As well as my heart.

I sent these pics to her vet, who seems to think it's the end of the road.

I still think it is worth working really hard on the new stronger crate. I've been doing short absences and am still working on that. I mean short though, up to 15 minutes. No escapes yet.

I've been away seeing my brother and nephew in Perth (Roo is with my best friend, who works from home) so haven't spoken to Nekh for a while.

Thanks again for reading and your support and interest in us both.

20130228_190349_zps33ba3ffb.jpg

20130228_190402_zps5ed9c8e6.jpg

20130228_190408_zps54d3b282.jpg

20130228_190422_zpsc89ac7e2.jpg

Jellyblush sorry to read this :(

Can i suggest that for a given period of time, say 4 weeks you do EXACTLY as Nekhbet tells you and ONLY as Nekhbet tells you :)

I know how hard it is to want to follow a bit of everyone's advice, i know the vet behaviourist has good recommendations and high qualifications but at the end of the day those methods haven't worked :(

From what i have seen Nekhbet's methods so far have proven to be most successful when not mixed with other methods.

Not to say there won't be set backs doing what she tells you, but there is a method to her madness and she will be able to advice you on how to overcome the hurdles as they happen :)

An example that always sticks with me is one that an instructor gave me years ago.

If i was to give you $20 every time you clapped, then suddenly stop giving you $20 every time you clapped, you would clap louder, you jump up and down clapping in my face, try all sorts of variations of clapping to get your $20 ... eventually you would realise that clapping no longer gets you the $20 so you would give up on clapping :)

I understand that Roo's behaviour is different to my clapping example and i understand how traumatic it is for you to see her hurting herself so much, but I just think if you give Nekhbet's methods exclusive trial, you have nothing to lose, considering the vet behaviourist has said its the end of the road in their opinion :(

I sincerely wish you all the best and you have my total admiration for giving your heart and soul to Roo, you really are a rare species Jellyblush :)

Oh that's a bugger JB :( Lulu scratches and chews a fair bit too, I think it's a combination of summer allergies and anxiety as she does it less in winter and she does it more when she's stressed out, I suppose the benefit to having her teeth worn down to nothing is that she can't do as much damage to herself anymore! It's frustrating, though she does stop when I tell her if I catch her doing it and I do think it has reduced a lot recently. It's hard to break that kind of reinforcement because if they have a bit of an itch and they scratch they remember how good it felt and how much relief they got so it tends to become a habit even when they aren't itchy but need the feeling of relief that is associated with scratching.

Does Roo have sensitive skin? I wonder if some kind of antihistamine might help? The behaviour might be too ingrained that the removal of any skin issues may not make a difference but it might be worth looking into.