Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

Haha you are so tempting me, unfortunately there just isn't enough Prozac for the crazy eyed bulldawg...... or is there!That dunb ass blood hound looks adorable.

Edited by hankdog

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That daycare pic is impressive. Those dogs, including your Roo, are really 'engaged; being together. No room for the self-harming anxiety. A very good move.

Even if daycare can only be two days a week at present, it's made a point.

I'm not suggesting anything ('getting another dog' is no fix-all recipe, can in fact double the trouble) ... but makes me wonder if Roo has ever lived with another dog/s.

You also get valuable feedback from the people at the daycare on what Roo specially likes to do. Just as your using the video at home provides feedback.

I know Mita, I really wish I could afford more days. Good advice to seek feedback too. Roo has lived with another dog, a goldie that is a good friend of hers as a trial. That was 2 years ago though, and it might be worth trying again. it's tricky as fostering a dog in itself is an axiety producing change, but then might be a good move.....

I love Roo's daycare. Here's a cute pic from today :)

300243_492539534139464_1634696578_n.jpg

Mum and Roo shot when Roo was fresh from the shelter....there's nothing cuter than a dog with a bucket head! Mum looking a bit seedy but Roo cute as a button :)

7635_297833935553_5447017_n_zps6156fa3e.jpg

She still has to wear the bucket but now it's to stop her crazy self scratching ways ....

What a fantastic update, great to hear :) Roo Is getting there. Just remember she has been like this for quite some time it is going to take some time to work through the hiccups.

Thanks Oso, it's a good reminder for me. It's frustrating that she's not 'better' yet because I've been trying so hard...all I've really managed to do is get it to a level where I can manage life through daycare and medication...neither really sustainable.. I haven't really helped her yet. .... but hope that consistent work with new crate will help further...

Oh, and batty dog camps at Nekh's house ;)

I don't know, I think managing is making her better. A lot of health issues, including mental, in humans and animals can't be completely "fixed" so we figure out the best way to manage them so that life is good.

I know it feels like forever but like OSo says it will probably take a long time to figure out exactly what gets the best results, and she may well need to be "managed" for the rest of her life but you are getting closer to finding that point where she is fine and your own life is good xxx

That was great, WoofnHoof - the dog had an absolute ball and whilst it went against what we work for in the name of "training" I doubt there'd be anyone - trainer; handler; spectator; or judge, who'd not be able to hide the smile and share in the delight this dog was obviously having.

Thanks for the smile, Shiva. You had fun being a dog around humans :D

[

I love Roo's daycare. Here's a cute pic from today :)

300243_492539534139464_1634696578_n.jpg

That's a fantastic pic. Those dogs just love being together. A good advertisement for daycare!

I understand what you mean that it's tricky to sort or try out another dog to be at home with Roo... for company.

I've heard that quite a few people try the second dog route .... but it's no quick fix recipe & sometimes makes a second problem.

For our young shelite who had separation anxiety, the arrival of a second sheltie (a rescue we adopted) made a huge difference. But she'd already responded to a behaviour training program.

She was a real busybody ratbag (but much loved). And I think she hated being alone because she had no one to drive crazy. When the sweet-natured rescue sheltie arrived, she was in heaven.

BUT our elderly tibbie who had separation anxiety just ignored the second tibbie we got. Made no impression on her at all.

Every situation is so different!

Oh Nek, you don't know how tempted I am to come to your gathering of crazy dogs day and bring my sheltie, she's definitely a mental case at home but I suspect being surrounded by all those dogs she'd hide behind her my legs all day. She's has a bad case of little dog syndrome, she barks like a hero when the dog is 20 feet away and when they come close, she hides like the wimp she really is. :laugh:

Lol I see all your naughty dogs and raise you one siberian husky. Check. Mate. :D

This popped up on my FB the other day and thought it was pretty typical husky behaviour :laugh:

Awesome, hilarious you name it. Entertainment value DEFINATELY a TEN out of ten..

Thanks for posting.

Oh Nek, you don't know how tempted I am to come to your gathering of crazy dogs day and bring my sheltie, she's definitely a mental case at home but I suspect being surrounded by all those dogs she'd hide behind her my legs all day. She's has a bad case of little dog syndrome, she barks like a hero when the dog is 20 feet away and when they come close, she hides like the wimp she really is.

No never a free for all here

I reckon a DOL get together at my place on a nice Sunday in a couple of months is something to put on the cards, anyone can feel free to bring their dogs and we can have a nice BBQ, meet up and workshop.

Oh Nek, you don't know how tempted I am to come to your gathering of crazy dogs day and bring my sheltie, she's definitely a mental case at home but I suspect being surrounded by all those dogs she'd hide behind her my legs all day. She's has a bad case of little dog syndrome, she barks like a hero when the dog is 20 feet away and when they come close, she hides like the wimp she really is.

No never a free for all here

I reckon a DOL get together at my place on a nice Sunday in a couple of months is something to put on the cards, anyone can feel free to bring their dogs and we can have a nice BBQ, meet up and workshop.

Count us in!

Did you get my message (on fb)? No rush btw, just making sure you got it.

[ I haven't really helped her yet. .... but hope that consistent work with new crate will help further...

Oh, yes you have. You've tested her in daycare with the company of other dogs to distract her from being anxious and frustrated.

It's worked brilliantly. Wouldn't have with some dogs with separation anxiety, who are just fixated on their owner,

Madam Roo is having a great time in those pics.

Come on people ... ROAD TRIP IT! I already have one DOLer coming down next weekend to stay at my place and for some reason she wants to be covered in Malinois :rofl: photos will ensue

p.s. I have a very large yard and a dog run, what could POSSIBLY go wrong :thumbsup:

Wow that is coming up fast! I better book that bus...

And i can't wait. We should do a "Lollipup visits Nekhbet" Thread. So that people can see the overwhelmed look on my face :p