Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys....well, it wasn't all calm and quiet, as the water bowl was not attached to the side anymore and water everywhere, plus plastic container that had bone in it was chewed in half.

But - she was safe, she stayed in there, she didn't damage the crate...... more practising and maybe things will improve?

I've been following your story, I'm glad you got to go out and Roo wasn't too bad.

I also hope that it wasn't one of the nights the comedian filmed for a dvd release smile.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Well I've watched the 2.5 hours of footage now. Roo panicked heaps for the first 25 minutes, with breaks where she lay down and panted, obviously trying to calm herself down. The frenzy was her trying all the tried and tested things that got her out of the last crate, one by one! Bending bars, swatting at catches, pawing at side hoping it would give way etc... I noticed she did a lot of chewing of her rug, cushions, in there, plus the plastic container.... seems chewing is a way she tried to calm herself? But she didn't want the rawhide or chew toys that were in there.... So maybe I'll put in more things she can rip up next time, cardboard boxes etc.

After 25 minutes she lay down and had a snooze. Until about 2 minutes before the end of the film when she got up and had another half hearted go at swatting the catches, no real energy in it this time though.

No quivering, trembling, lip licking etc. Just very energetic escape efforts.

If anyone has read this far, I'd love to know if you think there is promise in this?

Sounds very promising.

She has tried and not succeeded, next time my guess is she may try as hard, if that doesn't succeed then the efforts wil reduce. She she will still chew and shred stuff provided by you but her having a "I want to get out now" tantrum won't work so the efforts will reduce. It has worked before so it goes without saying she will try and get out and she will try hard but every time she can't, she will reduce her efforts.

Well done you and Roo :)

Well I've watched the 2.5 hours of footage now. Roo panicked heaps for the first 25 minutes, with breaks where she lay down and panted, obviously trying to calm herself down. The frenzy was her trying all the tried and tested things that got her out of the last crate, one by one! Bending bars, swatting at catches, pawing at side hoping it would give way etc... I noticed she did a lot of chewing of her rug, cushions, in there, plus the plastic container.... seems chewing is a way she tried to calm herself? But she didn't want the rawhide or chew toys that were in there.... So maybe I'll put in more things she can rip up next time, cardboard boxes etc.

After 25 minutes she lay down and had a snooze. Until about 2 minutes before the end of the film when she got up and had another half hearted go at swatting the catches, no real energy in it this time though.

No quivering, trembling, lip licking etc. Just very energetic escape efforts.

If anyone has read this far, I'd love to know if you think there is promise in this?

Sounds promising... tantrum rather than panic... baby steps Roo - well done!

T.

I am no means qualified but at present what we are doing with my nutcase is letting him do his thing and not giving him the result he wants, and it's starting to work. So I'd say there's hope. I would also make sure that if you get home and you can hear or see her going off maybe don't go in. If she's sitting quietly or sleeping when you go in then she's getting what she wants when she's doing the correct behavior. I used to go to bed early on Christmas Eve to make Christmas come more quickly so maybe she'll learn to go to sleep to make you come home quicker.

Edited by hankdog

It sounds pretty normal for a dog with separation anxiety, to be honest. The distress is usually most acute in the first 30 minutes. It's one of the diagnostic features, as it happens. Everything I've read in the literature suggests it is not uncommon for dogs to calm down after the first 30 minutes. Although they might periodically cycle through again.

Thanks! TV Sheridan, I find a TV channel with people's voices on it, talk show etc, and have her crate where she can see it. It also serves the purpose of blocking some of the outside noise. Is that the kind of thing you meant?

Thanks! TV Sheridan, I find a TV channel with people's voices on it, talk show etc, and have her crate where she can see it. It also serves the purpose of blocking some of the outside noise. Is that the kind of thing you meant?

Yes, that's what I mean. What's she like without being left with sounds?