Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

If you foster another dog i would advise against a very young dog or pup in this instance.The pup will pick up on the stress from roo and you could end up with another anxious dog.Consider fostering an adult dog;one that is very relaxed and steady- like a retriever as an example, will help make Roo calmer .Take a look on pet rescue;there are a lot of rescue groups around that may be able to help you find a suitable companion for you and Roo.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosetta, this is what people are referring too :)

Ive sent you a link to our seperation training program that has not yet failed and also a suggstion to double dose on PetArk calm. In uderstand you're not home all the time but you can start the program Friday night and by Monday if you've given it 100% you should start to see some improvments - not cured...but some improvements. The program typically takes on average 2 weeks to have a nice settled dog again.

I'm not sure who you're using as Behaviorists and Trainers but I'd take a good look at where you're spending your money, I don't mean to be offensive but some behaviourists and trainers aren't qualified not suitably experienced.

If she cannot come good then I personaly would euthanise, I would not rehome.

Definitely DON'T get a young puppy to trial her with. By all means try a steady older dog to see whether this makes a difference.

Agree. Her behaviour could impact the puppy at a critical development time.

Even with an older, very stable dog I'd only get one that could be assessed by a qualified behaviourist (like Cosmolo). Why? Because when dogs are stressed and anxious things can go very wrong, very quickly. For example, she might be frantic and the other dog tries to play with her. As she gets more and more anxious if the dog isn't stable and respects her space a fight can ensue. Stress doesn't bring out the best in dogs...

You obviously love her and are trying to do the right thing by her. Give sas' program a go and let us know how it is progressing.

Jellybush this sounds so hard for both you and Roo, and I can't even begin to imagine the pain you are going through trying to make the best decision for her. As others have said, whatever you decide, you have gone above and beyond for your girl and done a heck of a lot more than many other people would :hug:

Jellybush - could be a long shot (or not), but have you specifically tested your dog for hypothyroidism? If not, and if you want to enquire further, contact Dr Jean Dodds in the USA. Email me if you are unable to find her email address. Not many Vets out here give credence to the thyroid affecting behaviour in any or much extreme, especially if other typical clinical symptoms are absent. But I think it is at least worthwhile discussing with Dr Jean and then making your decision from there. Testing via Dr Jean Dodds in the USA (more thorough testing regime and more things taken into account when being analysed) isn't as expensive as you might think it could be.

ETA: Are there any (other) medical tests that have been suggested and/or done via your behaviourist?

Erny, you may have hit the nail on the head..... there must surely be a clinical explanation for Roo's behaviour?

Jellybush - could be a long shot (or not), but have you specifically tested your dog for hypothyroidism? If not, and if you want to enquire further, contact Dr Jean Dodds in the USA. Email me if you are unable to find her email address. Not many Vets out here give credence to the thyroid affecting behaviour in any or much extreme, especially if other typical clinical symptoms are absent. But I think it is at least worthwhile discussing with Dr Jean and then making your decision from there. Testing via Dr Jean Dodds in the USA (more thorough testing regime and more things taken into account when being analysed) isn't as expensive as you might think it could be.

ETA: Are there any (other) medical tests that have been suggested and/or done via your behaviourist?

Hi there Erny. That is very interesting and I'm going to look into it. No tests have been done aside from regular testing of bloods to ensure the meds are not having any adverse effects (Roo's urine since taking them is orange and there is some concern re. kidneys long term. )

I don't know how you'd go about finding another home for Roo...but to me she looks like the kind of dog that a man would love to own (that might sound stupid and superficial). Does Roo prefer men or women or does she show no preference?

She the kind of dog anyone would love to own!! :D She tends to like all women and men, she seems to take a very strong like or very strong dislike to men. She is timid with some men but adores others.

The more you run a dog, the fitter it gets and the more physical exercise it needs.

How about mind games, teaching the dog to search for things and learning new tricks.

I have a fit and active bull breed and the only way to wear him out is with training. He would literally run all day if given half a chance.

I didn't even realise that constantly running him was actually having the opposite effect to what I wanted until our trainer pointed it out.

Now he gets 45 minutes of good physical exercise and equal to 45-60 minutes of training. Sits, stays, drops, waits, look at that, find this, fetch etc...

It is a shame you are not closer to us. My boy would love another dog to play with and I work from home. I would have been happy to daycare sit for you..

I wish you all the best with Roo. I know you said you had absolute faith in your trainer/behaviourist but maybe a different opinion from a different trainer might be an option?

This is truly fascinating! Who knew?! Roo and I run for 60 minutes per day, then 30 is off leash park so she gets her social interaction. I might try switching up the runs with bike rides plus some drills. Would this be a good idea?

If you foster another dog i would advise against a very young dog or pup in this instance.The pup will pick up on the stress from roo and you could end up with another anxious dog.Consider fostering an adult dog;one that is very relaxed and steady- like a retriever as an example, will help make Roo calmer .Take a look on pet rescue;there are a lot of rescue groups around that may be able to help you find a suitable companion for you and Roo.

Thank you and all others for this advice. I adore my dog, I mean well and I will try anything from her, but I'm not greatly experienced and so very grateful for this forum.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Today, Roo had a trial with a household of uni students. It went really well :D After an hour or so of pacing the hallway when I left she settled, and by the afternoon when I picke her up she was really calm and relaxed. The girls can take her 8.30 - 5.30 3 days per week at $20 per day :D

I have also ordered herbs.

It is a start

15055_10152275839680554_1736859771_n.jpg

Edited by Jellyblush

Good luck I feel very sad for you and Roo. I also occasionally have to ask myself the hard question. My boy has done well with mental stimulation, clicker training, tricks and it helps to see the positive, fun side of owning a dog. Be kind to yourself.

Erny - if it were a thyroid problem wouldn't the dog be agitated all the time? It was my understanding Roo was pretty 'normal' when JB is around? Sorry if I'm way off here :o

JB - :grouphug: I've been following both threads, I think you are amazing and Roo sounds lovely :heart:

Erny - if it were a thyroid problem wouldn't the dog be agitated all the time? It was my understanding Roo was pretty 'normal' when JB is around? Sorry if I'm way off here :o

That's something that did cross my mind initially, TheLBD, but reading up further there can be a connection between separation anxiety and hypothyroidism.

Jellyblush I have just read this and wanted to say you are such an amazing dedicated person for all you are doing for Roo. I wished I lived closer and could offer to dogsit for no charge for you both. I wish you and Roo all the very best *huge hugs*.

My girl is also very anxious and is on medication. It was suggested to me to do a thyroid test as well - for Molly; hers was fine but you should look at it. Particularly the Free T4 I think.

Good luck.