Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

Nekhbet, I am free and I would LOVE to. I will pm you for details- thanks for your lovely offer :)

Just adding also - I am crate training - it's one of the things my behaviourist & I just started

Edited by Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about leaving her at your vet? Usually it's a bit cheaper (we charge $20 a day) and although its not exactly "fun" it is safe. Unless her self-harming is very bad? We often find that dogs do ok at the vet especially if they are kept in areas where people are working or walking by a lot.

I keep my dog in a large run at work with me all day, although I do take her for a lunch break play or walk. I exercise and train her before and after work and she seems to cope just fine. She goes to daycare 2 days a week (like you I can't afford 5 days a week) which is a bit more fun for her but I don't notice any difference in her attitude or energy levels.

What an amazing thing you are doing for your beautiful dog, Jelly. I don't have any advice, just a whole lot of admiration. Best wishes with whatever way this takes you. :hug:

more with Tintin Jacs comments .. you are amazing and wonderful.

have you tried DAP difussers in both the places she stays?????

Helen

I'm surprised after all this time you've just started crate training. It should have been one of the first things this dog was taught, as well as a 'safe' zone to go to when stressed that it can calm down in.

Dogs like this need an almost reprogramming (as much as I hate the word, you get the idea) you have to corner their minds into doing a productive exercise instead of a destructive one. Sometimes not all the sunshine and roses method people want to see but when it comes to extreme panicking you are left with limited options.

Edited by Nekhbet

Hi everyone. I have had a DAP diffuser for Roo here, but did not think to take it to the girls place - will do - great idea!

Roo had no issues with them today. Maybe we will get there....

I have found a girl willing to mind Roo in my house too. To be honest I don't love it - I feel a bit nervous of having someone from Gumtree in my home when I'm not here - but feel I don't have too many choices. I have to go to work! Professional daycare is not an option for the rest of this week as my boss wants me to stay back due to time off chasing Roo yesterday, and the daycare closes at 6.30pm.

We have used crate training principles to create a safe zone before, and it did work for a while - but after I moved house it wasn't effective anymore hence we are starting again. The configuration of the new house is different with a courtyard rather than a backyard, hence Roo's vet feeling a crate training program to treat the yard as a crate is a go to get around confinement issues.

I had no idea leaving Roo at a vet might be an option. I will ask about it when I collect her meds. Which will hopefully be tomorrow - vet has been away sick. Getting and starting those meds is critical for me at this point.

Thanks for all your great suggestions and support.

I second the idea that perhaps the vet might be a good temporary solution while Roo is being trained if they are willing to take her on. My old girl generally doesn't cope well with being away from home but apparently behaves like a different dog when she is at the vets...until I come to pick her up and she starts howling at the sound of my voice.

But what about crate training in an actual crate?

We've had a chat about a few things and we're going to start with a proper crate but I'll do it under supervision. I want to see how supposedly unfixable this dog is before throwing more things at her :)

i just have to add that this thread is one of the reason i love DOL...and DOLers!

THe OP is really going the distance for her dog and many people are helping out with suggestions and in the case of Nekhbet hands on assistance and person to person mentoring

i love you all

H

We've had a chat about a few things and we're going to start with a proper crate but I'll do it under supervision. I want to see how supposedly unfixable this dog is before throwing more things at her :)

Good idea. Glad she's got you on her team too :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to you and Jelly!

We'll have to put some photos up if Jelly likes. You can all see what a bogan I am :rofl:

Jelly likes !

Seriously, you are already awesome and I haven't even met you.

The girl from gumtree came round today to be with Roo. They got along fine, Roo seemed ok after about 10 minutes of stressing when I left (by all reports) and so we'll try that again next week.

Gratuitous Roo-pic!

23856_489151905553_805800553_11135669_5944448_n.jpg