Itch..itch And More Itch

redangel

I have a 7 mth old pup that is constantly itchy. Ringworm and fungal infection have been ruled out. Skin appears a little dry coat is thinning. No lesions visible..or hotspots. I have some antihistamines here just prescribed by the vet. Malaseb washes have done nothing to stop itching. No fleas. Unless sleeping pup is scratching or playing.

What can I do to relieve this? I am considering changing to grainfree dry food. Presently dog is on diet of raw meat & cooked chicken/veg/pasta. I am hoping the antihistamines will work soon.

Any ideas for relief or possible causes?

First I would remove the pasta.

I use polarmine as an antihistamine and have had good results (but it only treats the symptoms, you need to find the cause).

Erny makes calendula tea and uses that to bathe itchy areas with success - I have seen a few have a good result.

Maybe take the pup back to an elimination diet if you have ruled out environmental issues.

Can you keep the pup off all grass for a few days and see if it makes a difference?

If so it might be some grass that is making it itchy.

Good luck - sometimes it seems an impossible challenge to find what makes them itchy..

Yep it sure is tricky. I have a very itchy girl westie here - I feel like I've tried everything - Atopica included - yet its definitely worse when the grass is growing in the back yard. The back yard is a dust bowl at the moment and she's not scratching as badly (although she still is a bit).

So I don't have the answer - except to say that hyrazole from the chemist helps, as does grain free food and limiting her contact with grass.

Quick thoughts ..

(what breed of pup? Does breeder know? What colour coat? )

remove all grain , like pasta/treats

remove any artificial colourings

get a thyroid test done

Bath only when absolutely necessary ...

if the anti histamines help..USE them :)

Ok. no we dont have poultry...unless you call the annoying magpie troop of four that frequents my yard in that...pup has a facination for rolling in their poop.

She is a poodle.

I have purchased some grainfree food and given her an antihistamine for relief (hopefully). Would giving her her brisket bone be bad for elimination of things from her diet?

an elimination diet requires you to not give any other food than one pure protein (say kangaroo, beef etc) and only feeding that for a few weeks to see if there is an improvement.

Then you start to reintroduce other things.

Your vet is the best person to discuss this with. It is a long drawn out process but often times, if it isn't an environmental issue and it is food related you will see what she reacts to.

Brisket bones can be very fatty in my experience and I don't tend to use them anymore due to Zig having issues with to much fat in his diet makes him sick.

You could also see an holistic vet with regard to her dry skin - I used to give Ollie a fish oil tablet once a day and that fixed his dry skin. His coat was awesome once I started this.

They are all very different (just like kids), so it is better to do what is best for your dog.

See the vet, talk to an holistic vet and then decide which avenue you want to take.

Good luck

Guest RosieFT

Has she always been itchy? how long have you had her? Our Fox Terrier started to itch the first spring we had her, ruled out fleas etc. and noticed that in winter and autumn she is pretty much fine - although will always have a sympathy scratch if you scratch her, if you know what i mean, bicycle leg! But come spring and into summer she scratches, nibbles, licks all. the. time. So for us, it is definitely seasonal and therefore make the assumption it is a plant allergy - most likely grass.

I bought polaramine but have never used it as i don't know what dose to give a 7.5 kg dog... anyone?

We recently went away and she was less itchy down south, even though she ended up with fleas, than she is at home!

Has she always been itchy? how long have you had her? Our Fox Terrier started to itch the first spring we had her, ruled out fleas etc. and noticed that in winter and autumn she is pretty much fine - although will always have a sympathy scratch if you scratch her, if you know what i mean, bicycle leg! But come spring and into summer she scratches, nibbles, licks all. the. time. So for us, it is definitely seasonal and therefore make the assumption it is a plant allergy - most likely grass.

I bought polaramine but have never used it as i don't know what dose to give a 7.5 kg dog... anyone?

We recently went away and she was less itchy down south, even though she ended up with fleas, than she is at home!

Human anit-histamine use in dogs:

1. NAME

2. FORMULATION

3. DOSAGE

1. POLARAMINE (dexchlorhenrinamine)

2. 2mg and 6mg tablets also 0.4mg/ml elixir

3. dogs <10kg give 2mg

dogs 10.1-30kg give 4mg

dogs over 30kg give 6mg

1. PHENERGAN (promethazine)

2. 10mg and 25mg tablets 1mg/ml elixir

3. 1mg per 10kg of bodyweight

1. TELFAST (fexofenadine)

2. 60mg, 120mg and 180mg tablets

3. 2mg per kg bodyweight

NOTE:TABLET SIZE MAKES DOSING FOR SMALL DOGS IMPOSSIBLE

1. CLARYTYNE (Ioratadine)

2. 10mg tablets (also comes in a elixir now not sure of stregth just yet!)

3. for dogs less then 20kg give 1/2 tablet

for dogs over 20kgs give 1 tablet

1. ZYRTEC (Cetirizne)

2. 10mg tablets and 1mg/ml and 10mg/ml elixirs

3. for dogs up tp 20kgs give 5mg

for dogs over 20kgs give 10mg

She has been itchy since about 4 mths of age. It coincides with spring/summer. Speaking to the vet we will use the tablets dispensed for her ( I was hoping the malaseb would be of use, dont like using meds unless a real need)and continue adding oils to her diet. I have been giving her the odd sardine. After the hot weather small tufts of hair are noticeable on the chair she sits on. Herr itching always seems more intense after a bout of hot weather. Coupled with changing her dry food I will set up an appointment to discuss putting her on a diet allergy regime.

Malaseb is really strong and could be to strong for her skin.

Maybe try diluting it, from memory the dilution rate that was suggested to us was 30ml to 100ml of water.

If it is seasonal (and it sounds like it from what you have said) give Ernys calendula tea a try.

Steep tea bags and use the cooled water to bathe the itchy areas..

Can you keep the pup off all grass for a few days and see if it makes a difference?

If so it might be some grass that is making it itchy.

Good luck - sometimes it seems an impossible challenge to find what makes them itchy..

my girl is gets itchy after running on kykuya (sp).

I have cooch at home and she is fine. If we are out and she has contact with kykuya she will itch for ages afterwards.

Does her itching coincide with a C5 vaccination? or worming treatment? I know my girl would always itch badly 4 to 6 weeks after her C5. I switched worming/flea treatment a while back to Sentinel - have had to switch back - she was very itchy after this.

Human anit-histamine use in dogs:

1. NAME

2. FORMULATION

3. DOSAGE

1. POLARAMINE (dexchlorhenrinamine)

2. 2mg and 6mg tablets also 0.4mg/ml elixir

3. dogs <10kg give 2mg

dogs 10.1-30kg give 4mg

dogs over 30kg give 6mg

1. PHENERGAN (promethazine)

2. 10mg and 25mg tablets 1mg/ml elixir

3. 1mg per 10kg of bodyweight

1. TELFAST (fexofenadine)

2. 60mg, 120mg and 180mg tablets

3. 2mg per kg bodyweight

NOTE:TABLET SIZE MAKES DOSING FOR SMALL DOGS IMPOSSIBLE

1. CLARYTYNE (Ioratadine)

2. 10mg tablets (also comes in a elixir now not sure of stregth just yet!)

3. for dogs less then 20kg give 1/2 tablet

for dogs over 20kgs give 1 tablet

1. ZYRTEC (Cetirizne)

2. 10mg tablets and 1mg/ml and 10mg/ml elixirs

3. for dogs up tp 20kgs give 5mg

for dogs over 20kgs give 10mg

thanks for this - very helpful!

Sorry you are having itching problems. One of my dogs has seasonal allergies too. This is what I have done to help control the symptoms.

First of all we did a course of steroids from the vet to get the symptoms dampened down...then I switched to an all raw diet...she stays inside for the most part of the day in summer and spring ( her choice but it helps the situation)...have put her on chinese medicine based allergy pills by Fusion ( buy from health food store, take a couple of months to help if they are going to help) and use human excema cream on her itchy spots twice a day, from the Moo Goo range. She loves me doing the cream and I am sure it helps somewhat.

I have tried to get the Calendular tea to use but so far have been unable to buy it.

I see an improvement in her with doing all this but it does not fix it just keeps it somewhat under control and the dog more comfortable.

Antihistamine only works for an acute phase for example if she comes up with welts.....taken with a few hours it will help with that acute itchiness. The long term itch requires managing.

I hope you can find some things to use which may help you out. Cheers, Robyne

Guest RosieFT

Jr_inoz you said "Does her itching coincide with a C5 vaccination? or worming treatment? I know my girl would always itch badly 4 to 6 weeks after her C5. I switched worming/flea treatment a while back to Sentinel - have had to switch back - she was very itchy after this."

Rosie is on sentinel, so interested in your comment re itchiness. What worming/flea treatment do you use instead? thanks.

Jr_inoz you said "Does her itching coincide with a C5 vaccination? or worming treatment? I know my girl would always itch badly 4 to 6 weeks after her C5. I switched worming/flea treatment a while back to Sentinel - have had to switch back - she was very itchy after this."

Rosie is on sentinel, so interested in your comment re itchiness. What worming/flea treatment do you use instead? thanks.

I have gone back to Revolution for fleas, ticks, heartworm - spot on and then drontal for the tape worm. I know it is a double up on the worming for a couple of the other worms. Revolution is a monthly spot on, Drontal 3 monthly. When it is the month where they get both, they don't get it on the same day - I wait a couple.

I was hoping the Sentinel would be good as it was easy, but she itched.

I am limited in my treatments because of my breed. I am pretty sure they both aren't ivermectin sensitive, but I'm not risking it. Revolution has a related product in it, but the girls have been fine. I am going to get them both tested for MDR1 sensitivity - just so I know for sure.

I don't have any dogs with skin problems, but I do suffer from itchy scalp myself. It gets so bad, that sometimes it feels like it is burning. I have only just discovered the relief I can get from rinsing in a fairly strong apple cider vinigar/water solution. The relief is almost instant. Not sure if anyone has tried ACV on their dogs, but could be worth a try :) I tried the calendula tea on myself & it did help, but the ACV was almost 100% relief.