Itchy Itchy Rash Time Again

By the looks of the topics on this section, I am glad i am not alone with a summer itchy dog!

This happened last year too, and thanks Erny the Calendula Tea works to sooth the itch a bit.

The vet says the allergy could be due to any number of things...not that helpful, so we treat the symptoms. (BTW Its seasonal, not diet)

Sally has a red tummy (she rubs it on the grass at the park), and has been scratching under her arms which have bled a bit. I only give her every few days at the park (even tho it's her fav place) to ease the problem, which lasts for days.

I have never given her anti-histamines, but think i might try it when she is at her worst.

just to clarify: the 1mg per 10kg body weight of Phenerghan (That be 2.5mg for a 25kg dog) would be 1/4 a 10mg tablet.

ALSO, has anyone used apple cider vinegar to releive? If so, did you dilute it?

The only other thing I can think of causing the itch would be mozzies, that have been RIFE lately. Has anyone else heard of dogs getting an allergy from mozzies, and if so, how did it present itself, and is there any repellent safe for dogs that can be used?

By the looks of the topics on this section, I am glad i am not alone with a summer itchy dog!

This happened last year too, and thanks Erny the Calendula Tea works to sooth the itch a bit.

The vet says the allergy could be due to any number of things...not that helpful, so we treat the symptoms. (BTW Its seasonal, not diet)

Sally has a red tummy (she rubs it on the grass at the park), and has been scratching under her arms which have bled a bit. I only give her every few days at the park (even tho it's her fav place) to ease the problem, which lasts for days.

I have never given her anti-histamines, but think i might try it when she is at her worst.

just to clarify: the 1mg per 10kg body weight of Phenerghan (That be 2.5mg for a 25kg dog) would be 1/4 a 10mg tablet.

ALSO, has anyone used apple cider vinegar to releive? If so, did you dilute it?

The only other thing I can think of causing the itch would be mozzies, that have been RIFE lately. Has anyone else heard of dogs getting an allergy from mozzies, and if so, how did it present itself, and is there any repellent safe for dogs that can be used?

I have only used ACV to relieve my own very itchy scalp. A solution of about 1;5 ACV/water sooths my scalp by about 95%, but not sure about dogs :)

A wipe down after visits to the park could also help to remove the allergens from the skin - calendula tea could be used especially if she finds it soothing. A topical steroid cream or short course of steroids may also be helpful to relieve the itch.

For antihistamines to be effective in seasonal cases it is best to give a dose a day to keep the itch controlled.

Letting the dog get to the stage where she scratches herself to bleeding can make her prone to secondary infections.

When you go to the park, can you keep her off the grass? Don't allow her to scratch her tummy in the grass.

If she has a red tummy, I wouldn't think it was mozzies. If it was them, you would just see the odd bite and redness, not a whole tummy rash.

I wouldn't use the ACV on open rash. Stick with the calendula tea if that works.

Diluted malaseb shampoo was also successful for us years ago with our old Stafford. Dilute 1ml to 50ml and use in a spray bottle to spray on the itchy bits.

Malaseb is a good shampoo for itchy dogs but it is strong and is good diluted a bit.

My old Stafford used to take 1x 4mg polaramine tablet every day in spring and summer.. They made a huge difference to his itchiness.

My vet said taht Maslab is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoo. If your dog doesn't have a secondary infection then it isn't really going to help (other than being really strong and very drying). I'd stick with the calendula tea and anti-histamines. Something like telfast is good without bad side effects.

ACV helps, also a naturopath told me to reduce or eliminate red meats, particularly lamb, from their diet.

That is one of the best dietary tips i have been given. My old girl in particular is so goo d since we totally removed lamb and mutton, and reduced the amount of beef. Also, none of our dogs are fed wheat in any form, and it has had a very positive impact on them.

Hydrazole from behind the counter at the chemist works well - particularly for overnight itchies and scratching where bathing at 2 am is not an overly attractive option. The chemist usually laughs and gives me a withering look when I say it's not for me but for the dog and hands it over.