8mo Pup Mouthing All The Time

thowra

Hi all

My mini foxie pup Taya is now 8 months old. When she hasn't seen us for a while or gets excited she mouths our arms and hands (not biting down just open mouth wrapped around arm and wraps her tongue around us).

How can we get her to stop this? I have tried removing arm whilst growling no, removing arm and walking away ignoriong her, tap on nose when she does it.

Also with the excitement with my youngest son and I she pees when we give her attention after being out or whatever. At the moment for that we don't acknowledge her until we are out on the grass, but she still does the occasional one inside if we aren't quick enough.

Oh and she is desexed if that makes a difference.

And here is a pic of her just cause I love her!

Any suugestions?

Thanks in advance.

post-46241-0-39476100-1359421451_thumb.jpg

Chances are you have encouraged the behavior as a pup & now the dog is bigger & braver its no longer fun.

Many people make such a big deal when there pups because there cute & little.

Has she had any form of obedience training yet ??

Its time to go back to basics & training your little one .

When you return home ignore her & go straight outside as if your toilet training her.

I do have one question ,you say she is bitten your arm,Is she jumping up & down or are you picking her up ??

We have never once encouraged the behaviour, even when she was very young.

Obedience training officially begins this weekend but we have done puppy pre school.

We do go straight outside with her as soon as we get home.

She is not actually biting just mouthing our arm there is no downward pressure at all.

She is not jumping up at our arms it is when I bend down to pat her.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Every dog trainer has a different opinion. Here is one that I heard.

One possible issue is the below. I'm assuming straight outside means almost as sonn as you arrive home?

We do go straight outside with her as soon as we get home.

Being a pack leader is showing your followers that he must wait and be patient. If your like most of us you can't wait to get home and see your dogs as soon as you get home. It's normal.

When you arrive home don't give him any attention. Wait x amount of minutes before entering his pen/kennel,backyard for example. Once you enter or if hes already near you, just ignore him, make out like you have an intent for doing something where he is. When he settles down then its time to give him praise.

A Cesar Millan saying is you need to give dogs this in order "exercise, discipline, affection"

A lot of people usually go straight to affection, affection, affection.

A saying my dog training ingrained into me for my dog is "Nothing In Life Is Free!"

He has to work for food, water, praise, treats, or affection.

So there's some theory, and here's a link that may aid in showing you how to stop it.

Edited by Sparden

When you arrive home don't give him any attention. Wait x amount of minutes before entering his pen/kennel,backyard for example. Once you enter or if hes already near you, just ignore him, make out like you have an intent for doing something where he is. When he settles down then its time to give him praise.

And if this increases frustration in a dog? The minute I walk in the door I say hello and no one is going berzerk biting me because it's not allowed. Why not just catch the dog in that moment and ask it to do something productive for you instead since it's so intent on getting attention from you - use the dogs own excitement against it in a way :laugh:

You need to redirect her attention to something productive, so maybe have her favourite toy or some treats with you and the minute she goes to mouth ask her to sit instead and reward it. There's no point saying no if you do not show the alternative required behavior and reward that heavily, all you get is a dog that tries harder.

As for the peeing, that's not uncommon in weaker nerved or confused dogs. Try not to encourage her, if she gets wound up just cease direct contact and ask her to do something like sit instead, something she knows well. This way you can get around the anxiety pattern of excitement - work up - pee

Thanks for your feedback Nekhbet.

Just on your reply. What if the dog is not frustrated, and perhaps just excited to see you? Do you think the trainers advise on not seeing your dog straight away is the correct thing to do?

You need to give the dog a chance. Personally an excited dog, unless it's totally gone mad, is capable of listening. So take that moment, you come home, go out, sit, pat/treat. Oh and hold your treats nice and low so the dog can smell/lick them but cannot take them ;) little trick. For the kids they can throw the treats or toys for her to fetch and get that excitement in the opposite direction, then when she comes back ask her to sit. If she absolutely will not listen just go inside then, but you gave her a chance to interact and win attention!

I don't believe in hard and fast rules, the waiting before going out to see the dog is a bit old fashioned (saying that I am in some ways :laugh:) but you get a dog to love and interact with it, and they can learn faster from guidence then you waiting for them to work it out or reward them at that fleeting moment of capture.