Sleep Howling

TikaAkita

I was lying in bed last night at 11:30 and suddenly hear a huge howl coming from the dog! I've heard her howl probably 3 times before this, and this time it was a good one! Like a long siren.

Of course I call out to her saying its okay, jump out of bed to go check her in her crate in the lounge. Hesitant because its her second night in a new house and I was worried there might be 'something' she was reacting to.

Funny thing is, she was lying down on her side snuggled up in her sleeping position. Not one bit alert! Only sat up because I gave her a pat.

I've concluded she was sleep howling. I have no idea how she didnt wake herself up doing it, she was so loud especially in a quiet house.

I'd like to know if any of your dogs sleep howl? And does it mean anything to you (eg. dog is stressed)?

As a side note, the telstra guy came to our house today. I held Tika back while he came in and he said he likes dogs so if shes friendly I could let her go. So that was fine. Next thing, he's getting her to sit and shake hands (which she isnt even trained to do!) and shes all 'look at me I'm perfect!' doing it all instantly. I know it was because he had her full attention and she was alert and responsive. But really, I was on a street curb yesterday for 5 minutes before she would sit for me!!

Edited by TikaAkita

Guest Maeby Fünke

Mine howl, growl, bark and even sound like they're talking...

They often wake each other up and start barking. Very annoying in the middle of the night :laugh:

1359523464[/url]' post='6106985']

Ours make wimpering, yipping and barking noises in their sleep but don't howl. Mosley howls when he's awake, does that count?:laugh:

Mine don't howl either but occasionally they make cute snuffling noises and 'pedal' in their sleep - not so cute at 2 am though! I think the littlest Westie barked in his sleep once and frightened both of us!

Thats the thing isn't it, its cute and funny when your awake to watch it, but in the middle of the night its creepy or annoying!

Good to know theres other sleep howlers out there too :)

I can't understand how they don't wake up though! It must be like sleep walking or something. They're so out of it they don't wake up.

Joeys done it twice, scared the c*&p out of me first time ! Once when he was asleep and once in daylight while he was awake !eek1.gif It was bizzare, especially coming from a Cavalier! My husband thought I was making it up but he has since heard Joey howl too!

I panicked and googled about why dogs that don't normally howl, do? don't google it, you won't like what it comes back with ! But its good to know Joey's not the only one then! ;-)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Joeys done it twice, scared the c*&p out of me first time ! Once when he was asleep and once in daylight while he was awake !eek1.gif It was bizzare, especially coming from a Cavalier! My husband thought I was making it up but he has since heard Joey howl too!

I panicked and googled about why dogs that don't normally howl, do? don't google it, you won't like what it comes back with ! But its good to know Joey's not the only one then! ;-)

I briefly googled it before posting on here, and of course googled it again now that you said that :laugh:

You're refering to the howls being related to deaths I'm guessing? Weird that it comes up on a few different sites. I'm not worried though :) I'll let you know if I can link anything crazy to it :grimace:

I briefly googled it before posting on here, and of course googled it again now that you said that :laugh:

You're refering to the howls being related to deaths I'm guessing? Weird that it comes up on a few different sites. I'm not worried though :) I'll let you know if I can link anything crazy to it :grimace:

yeah something to do with brain tumors from memory??

but theres nothing wrong with Joey I dont think !:) Hes a bit weird at the best of times anyway laugh.gif

and it seems theres many dogs in here that don't howl as part of their breed, so if that was case all of our dogs in here would have brain tumors!

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs