Pets In Disasters

zeebie

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope more people complete this survey and get the message out there :) so please copy link and pass on everywhere you can.

I know the QLD government definately put in place a 'pet policy' post the 2011 floods and now there are specific centres to take pets and people as well as cages have been stockpiled for need in this type of event, and there are clearer guidelines for those running centres etc. And how pet evacuation will be managed, and this is why during this current flood there has been more people & pets "rescued" as the authorities better understand the importance of the pet bond in these critical events.Especially for the elderly and children who often find that their pets are a strong focal point to get them through such an overwhelming catastrophie :(

I filled it out. My biggest concern is what to do with all of my dogs. A couple aren't great with people and they all cant run together. So, I cant really take them to a regular evacuation point, if it's hot they cant be left in the car so Im not sure what options I am left with. The local shelter couldnt take them, nor could any local vets. When we had the scare a couple of weeks back, it was very worrying. A lovely, local GSD breeder phoned to offer me space in her runs but she is near me and was also in a 'danger' zone.

If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear them as I have to sort something out.

I filled it out. My biggest concern is what to do with all of my dogs. A couple aren't great with people and they all cant run together. So, I cant really take them to a regular evacuation point, if it's hot they cant be left in the car so Im not sure what options I am left with. The local shelter couldnt take them, nor could any local vets. When we had the scare a couple of weeks back, it was very worrying. A lovely, local GSD breeder phoned to offer me space in her runs but she is near me and was also in a 'danger' zone.

If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear them as I have to sort something out.

Maybe crating?

Not all of our dogs get along so our plan involves bringing a crate for each dog. Being able to put them somewhere reasonably secure also really opens up where you can take the dogs.

Crates Is all I can think of? One for each. It's what i had planned for my two as they would fight in the car together. Kaos Is also dog aggressive. I rather her be locked in a crate for a few days with me then left behind

I cant do it on my phone. As soon as I get a computer I will

I have crates for the 2 house dogs and 3 cats but crates for one giant dog and 3 large dogs just wouldn't all fit in my car. Obviously it would be nice to be able to do a couple of trips but it's not always feasible if no time to get out etc. None of the Maremmas are crate trained which I suppose wouldnt be an issue short term and they'd just have to get over it, but crates for all wouldn't fit in the car.

I guess I was hoping that the local shelter would have opened its doors but they were full.:(

They are all working (but also all pets). Three guard chooks, ducks and me, one guards sheep and chooks. None are car friendly, and even getting them in to the car is very challenging. Thankfully the giant one is the most social but the other three would be more 'challenging'.

Re the stock, if time I would squeeze the ducks and some chooks in to the car. Re the sheep Ive been told just to open all the gates within the property to give them the best chance. I was initially thinking of opening all gates for the sheep, even off the property but someone pointed out they would then present a danger to motorists which totally makes sense.

I guess it would just be nice to be able to take the Maremmas somewhere local first and then come back for the rest. Three of the males arent crash hot with each other and having all of them plus the others and my daughter in the car is dangerous in itself. Im feeling frustrated that there is nowhere to take them but cant think of anywhere myself so I guess I can see councils point. If the Maremmas wont get in the car in a hurried, last minute emergency some would just have to be left as I cant risk my daughters safety. Which is why I would like to come up with something so I can be more organised and evacuate early.

I hope people take this really seriously.

Don't just think about it DO SOMETHING. Sacrifice is NOT the name of the game.

We have evacuated five times now and the plan runs like clockwork because it is done early and not in a rush at the last minute.