Pets In Disasters

zeebie

done

Clyde seriously think of buying a cheap horse float and having it on hand just in case ( god forbid ) rego is rather cheap and if you need to you can shove all the critters in there .

oh and dont worry about revesrse park you will be able to do it after a few practice

runs .

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine who has 5 dogs various breeds + other animals they had to evacuate just hitched up a borrowed horse float and loaded all the dogs in tethered with leads and had some of other animals in cages etc, some in boot space of 4WD and away they went on arrival at destination they placed 'C' crates (on loan) and several large size puppy pens with hastily made roof joined together to contain all the animals. Now residing in a huge colourbond shed which has been converted to her abode until they can return to what ever is left of her property :(

A 6 or 8 berth dog trailer, would eliminate the need for stacking the car with crates, and that would also be their home while it was needed. Nice and comfy, weather proof whereas crates are totally open. Would run into a bit of expense, but would be worth it with less hassles.

Survey completed.

We came very, very close to having the house inundated on Sunday.

We had previously made abstract -in the future- plans re emergency evacuation but due to lack of time and money, had not implemented them all.

Fortunately the water was rising slowly enough for us to be able to throw the plan into some kind of panicked action and, although not to the standard we had originally set in our plans, at least was jury-rigged together enough to be functional.

Clyde, you may also be able to consider something like this; we have an old (not registered, but new tyres and fully towable) caravan on our property that is used for storage and ocassional guest accommodation. It only cost us $1000 to purchase last year.

We had decided to convert the caravan to an "emergency evacuation vehicle" - completely strip out the caravan and build in a number of cages so that animals can be separated from each other, also with a small sleeping area for us and a portapotti. We will keep it fully stocked with non-perishable food, dog bowls, leashes, litter boxes, etc. We will also kit it out with a few portable stock pens, so that the dogs and our two pet pigs have a small fenced area to get outside for toileting.

We are fortunate that we have large acreage and can get the caravan to higher ground, so although we would be cut off completely from the outside world, at least everyone would be warm, safe and dry until we could get back down into our house. In the case of a bushfire, the caravan is towable and we could evacuate to a safe place and still be fully self-contained.

Edited 'cos I can't spell.

Edited by ash1

I'll have to give it some serious consideration. I dont have a tow bar atm and nowhere to put a trailer/float as the driveway is so tight. I also cant drive a trailer :o I had a mobile grooming business for a while but couldnt manage the trailer, trashed both car and trailer so gave it up. I think it's my only option though. The same local GSD breeder offered me her dog trailer on the day that we were all concerned which was really sweet of her, but alas no use without a tow bar. She then came back and offered me her ute with a tow bar. But you cant leave someone else short in these scenarios.

I guess like most of us, I dont like leaving my pets somewhere where I am not too. You like to know they're with you and safe, but its not always practical.

That is why when making your disaster plan you factor in things like who can I call to tow my trailer or lend me one etc, and with early enough warning this can be done, just becomes problematic if you leave until last minute decision.

Plans must be multi functional allow for being home and being away. If away when disaster strikes you need to know who you can call who will help you out etc.

As much as we do not want to think about disasters they do exist.:o Cyclones/earthquakes/mudslides/fires/floods/tornadoes are the main events but there other unnatural disasters that can impact on us.Epidemic or other (hendra virus)situations where properties have to be contained, or even whole communities sealed off, and in this event very hard decisions have to be made especially if you happen to be away from your location when lock down goes into effect. :(

So don't adopt the attitude it won't happen to me PLAN now and prepare, grab a sheet of paper stick on your fridge and start scribbling things down as you think of them, then rewrite and reorganise, and also a good idea as Ash1 said go through the motions to see if it will all come together otherwise in a real situation it cannot be fixed.

Survey completed.

We had previously made abstract -in the future- plans re emergency evacuation but due to lack of time and money, had not implemented them all.

Fortunately the water was rising slowly enough for us to be able to throw the plan into some kind of panicked action and, although not to the standard we had originally set in our plans, at least was jury-rigged together enough to be functional.

Clyde, you may also be able to consider something like this; we have an old (not registered, but new tyres and fully towable) caravan on our property that is used for storage and ocassional guest accommodation. It only cost us $1000 to purchase last year.

We had decided to convert the caravan to an "emergency evacuation vehicle" - completely strip out the caravan and build in a number of cages so that animals can be separated from each other, also with a small sleeping area for us and a portapotti. We will keep it fully stocked with non-perishable food, dog bowls, leashes, litter boxes, etc. We will also kit it out with a few portable stock pens, so that the dogs and our two pet pigs have a small fenced area to get outside for toileting.

We are fortunate that we have large acreage and can get the caravan to higher ground, so although we would be cut off completely from the outside world, at least everyone would be warm, safe and dry until we could get back down into our house. In the case of a bushfire, the caravan is towable and we could evacuate to a safe place and still be fully self-contained.

Love the caravan idea. Really interesting. Surely in an emergancy situation, no one will be harsh enough to fine you/take away an unregistered vehicle? I understand it has to be road safe but if it simply hasn't been payed...

I have no plans as in my most recent town we were surrounded by grape vines (like, the whole town) and low scrub, and lived on high ground. Now we live urban so no risk of bushfires. Only have one dog anyway so we'd grab her and leave. Pretty straight forward luckily :)

Plans must be multi functional allow for being home and being away. If away when disaster strikes you need to know who you can call who will help you out etc.

But who can you really call when your fellow neighbours would all be in the same boat? I could never ask my neighbours when they have their own responsibilities to think about, that , to me, would be unfair.

The first time I cancelled plans, stayed at home and had someone come and get my daughter so my main priority was out of the way, the second I cut my holiday short and came home. The dogs wouldnt let anyone on the property anyway.

Done and passed on to a good number of people.

In Off Topic there is a thread called Stay Safe QLD and NSW about the current flood disaster.

Someone said in that thread that an evacuation centre was not allowing pets.

I just cant believe that is still happening.

After Hurricane Katrina in the US they formulated a plan for pets in disaster situations, and I think we need to do the same thing here.

Edited by jess5

we have an old (not registered, but new tyres and fully towable) caravan on our property that is used for storage and ocassional guest accommodation. It only cost us $1000 to purchase last year.

Just had a couple of neighbours over & I mentioned your idea about the caravan. They think it's brilliant, ash. So do I. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing ... it should be passed around.

Survey completed.

Love the caravan idea. Really interesting. Surely in an emergancy situation, no one will be harsh enough to fine you/take away an unregistered vehicle? I understand it has to be road safe but if it simply hasn't been payed...

I have no plans as in my most recent town we were surrounded by grape vines (like, the whole town) and low scrub, and lived on high ground. Now we live urban so no risk of bushfires. Only have one dog anyway so we'd grab her and leave. Pretty straight forward luckily :)

We would just cop the fine if it came to it.

The van would be taken over my dead body in that sort of situation. Anyway, good luck to them, it would be filled to the brim with animals!

Registration isn't actually that expensive annually, but the only reason our van would be taken on the road would be a bushfire (flood it can stay here as we can get it up much higher than the house), so little reason for us to pay the rego each year.

we have an old (not registered, but new tyres and fully towable) caravan on our property that is used for storage and ocassional guest accommodation. It only cost us $1000 to purchase last year.

Just had a couple of neighbours over & I mentioned your idea about the caravan. They think it's brilliant, ash. So do I. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing ... it should be passed around.

Thanks Mita, although it does expose how thick I can sometimes be. The caravan's been sitting here for a year, and when the bushfires were a (fortunately reasonably distant) threat I was racking my brains trying to come up with a solution to dealing with all our animals in the event of an emergency - at one stage I was looking to try and purchase a cheap dog trailer. Very very slowly it dawned on me, I already had the perfect emergency vehicle here! As the van only cost us $1000 it was cheaper than a dog trailer, and added bonus of fitting all of our house animals and us too.

[

Thanks Mita, although it does expose how thick I can sometimes be. The caravan's been sitting here for a year, and when the bushfires were a (fortunately reasonably distant) threat I was racking my brains trying to come up with a solution to dealing with all our animals in the event of an emergency - at one stage I was looking to try and purchase a cheap dog trailer. Very very slowly it dawned on me, I already had the perfect emergency vehicle here!

You are not alone, ash. That's like me.... can take me a while for light to dawn that a solution is right under my nose. :)

Your caravan idea answers so many of the problems in evacuation.

But who can you really call when your fellow neighbours would all be in the same boat? I could never ask my neighbours when they have their own responsibilities to think about, .

Our local dog club have rallied around for each other in 2011 I took in 2 people and 4 dogs who were stranded and in one case we had to "rescue" 2 of the dogs as they were locked in the house in morning when owner went to work and by time she was alerted, creek had flooded stranding her one side dogs other. so all up we had house full of dogs between mine, theirs and another couple who stayed with me while owners were put up by non dog friendly people, luckily all dogs knew each other and we all managed. so I have a list of people I can contact who would gladly be able to help me out without putting themselves out. :)

In Off Topic there is a thread called Stay Safe QLD and NSW about the current flood disaster.

Someone said in that thread that an evacuation centre was not allowing pets.

There have been centres established for people with pets but they must meet certain criteria (crates/containers)people have to be put first and unfortuneatley some people have come to centres with 8 cats 6 dogs sheep, cow, horse etc etc and happy enough for general livestock to be coralled outside but wanting "pets" to stay indoors with them and with people sleeping in close proximity this is not a desirable situation. so common sense must prevail and where there is anxiety and upheaval etc tension rises and sometimes tiny thing is enough to rock the boat. So given the extreme number of people who have had to be displaced and are in these centres, pets are the least priority, however if containers can be found and owner happy to have animal in same and outside in a covered area with food and water then no problem at all.

Hygiene is also needing to be considered and last thing they want is an outbreak of Gastro to go through as medical resources are also stretched to limit.