Pets In Disasters

zeebie

For me personally I would make every attempt to take the animals, but understand it is not always possible. And having them in emergency accomodation could be disasterous. The stress in those places would be terrible, and a mild mannered dog could become territorial and protective of its owner, let alone a DA dog. Have even 2 of these in an emergency evac area (community hall etc) and it would be a nightmare

The caravan idea is the best one I have heard of in years, and would work for everything from birds to cats, dogs, fish, and probably ok for a sheep or pig. However, I believe it would need to be registered and maintained. Tyres, axles, bearings etc all perish or cease if not used or maintained regularly. Even taking it for a few mile run each month and a 6/12m check up at the local mechanics would ensure that in the moment of emergency it will actually be towable.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The caravan idea is the best one I have heard of in years, and would work for everything from birds to cats, dogs, fish, and probably ok for a sheep or pig. However, I believe it would need to be registered and maintained. Tyres, axles, bearings etc all perish or cease if not used or maintained regularly. Even taking it for a few mile run each month and a 6/12m check up at the local mechanics would ensure that in the moment of emergency it will actually be towable.

Definately a good idea last thing you would want is to have it all ready to roll and wheels fall off etc :eek:

For me personally I would make every attempt to take the animals, but understand it is not always possible. And having them in emergency accomodation could be disasterous. The stress in those places would be terrible, and a mild mannered dog could become territorial and protective of its owner, let alone a DA dog. Have even 2 of these in an emergency evac area (community hall etc) and it would be a nightmare

We had 250 people, at least 10 dogs (two in crates the rest on lead), about 6 cats, numerous other pets like rabbits and reptiles, and several birds including one loose parrot, all crammed into a fire station when the Feb 09 fires came through and there was not one fight or injury to any people or pets. All were quiet and calm.

It is possible to have people and pets in an evacuation centre.

In Off Topic there is a thread called Stay Safe QLD and NSW about the current flood disaster.

Someone said in that thread that an evacuation centre was not allowing pets.

There have been centres established for people with pets but they must meet certain criteria (crates/containers)people have to be put first and unfortuneatley some people have come to centres with 8 cats 6 dogs sheep, cow, horse etc etc and happy enough for general livestock to be coralled outside but wanting "pets" to stay indoors with them and with people sleeping in close proximity this is not a desirable situation. so common sense must prevail and where there is anxiety and upheaval etc tension rises and sometimes tiny thing is enough to rock the boat. So given the extreme number of people who have had to be displaced and are in these centres, pets are the least priority, however if containers can be found and owner happy to have animal in same and outside in a covered area with food and water then no problem at all.

Hygiene is also needing to be considered and last thing they want is an outbreak of Gastro to go through as medical resources are also stretched to limit.

Within the US most shelters do now take animals, but they MUST be crated and they are in seperate rooms as well. They are often evacuated to schools and the like, and many rooms are set up for different animals. People are given numbers or something and numbers are read over load speakers, and at certain times they are allowed in to play with interact with the dog, if the weather is OK they can take dogs outside to toilet, etc. Vet nurses are in the rooms at all times. People will be called over if they have any concerns. They will often pick people up with buses and they carry crates, bird cages and the like to make sure all animals are secure before being allowed on board.

I don't expect my dogs to be with me by my side the whole time. I also do not necessarily expect that everyone will have time to get a crate, etc. But I do expect that my dogs would be able to be accommodated at the centre with me. I expect that I should be allowed to visit with them, although I also realise that with many many animals, they may need to set times for different people to be with them, etc. While my dogs are great around other dogs and animals, I don't expect all dogs to be like that. I do not expect one rule for me and one for others. Equally though I don't know that I would know how my dogs would react in such a highly stressful situation and crating them at such times is the most appropriate thing that can be done.

The US does have a small number of shelters that do not take pets, for those people that crack a fit and will not be anywhere where animals are!! If necessary for people to be taken to those as others are full, the animals will be taken to a shelter for pets and cared for by the vet nurses the whole time. Although from what I hear from friends who have staffed shelters, that has never been an issue, people have always been able to be accommodated in the same centre with the animals.

I guess the issue arises if people are driving and being told to go somewhere and that place does not allow pets that is an isuse. If there is only one evacuation centre, it must take pets, and there are always ways of doing so without forcing people or animals to be with each other. And emergency personel telling people to evacuate and directing them where to go MUST be able to tell them where to go if they have pets. If anything everyone should be directed to a centre that takes pets and then those that don't passed on to one that doesn't if they so desire to be in one.

Two words - dog trailer.

Get a big one with as many berths as you need. A COMPLETE god send.

Also get a tow bar fitted, now!! Trust me - you would pay anything to have it there when you need it.

Then you can transport as many as you need, keep them cool / warm / separated etc/ Can live in there if needed, Can walk one at a time.

I swear by them,

We had to take 7 dogs, 4 chooks, 1 cat and god knows what else. We used black plastic to block the view between the trailer compartments, It was home to all for three nights. I even ended up spending one night in a dog compartment to keep everyone calm.

You will never regret the expense even if it sits at your neighbours place for 99.9% of it's life.

I have crates for the 2 house dogs and 3 cats but crates for one giant dog and 3 large dogs just wouldn't all fit in my car. Obviously it would be nice to be able to do a couple of trips but it's not always feasible if no time to get out etc. None of the Maremmas are crate trained which I suppose wouldnt be an issue short term and they'd just have to get over it, but crates for all wouldn't fit in the car.

I guess I was hoping that the local shelter would have opened its doors but they were full.:(

Edited by colliehound

At a property clearing sale (near a regional city, not way out bush) I picked up a double horse float in sound running order for $75. Not registered. My good pony float I bought in SA was fully reg and I still had to jump through ludicrous hoops to get Vic reg onto it. So I'll take a chance with the double and hope the need doesn't arise to take it on the road. But will do if evacuation makes it necessary to use them both.

Anyway - a float allows crates double-stacked along each horse bay (same as crates stacked at flyball comps for a day) just need a secure rail bolted in to keep them in place. Front compartment can take cats or poultry in carriers on top of fixed food/water containers.