Dogs Anal Glads

Hi this may be a silly question but is there anyone or anyone know of someone that can do dogs anal glads my sister has an Italian grey hound he's about 13-14 years...she has been taking him up to vets very 6 weeks costing her $100 + a time she has changed his diet as suggested done everything she has told so she asked me to ask here if anyone knows of a cheaper place or what she can do that she hasn't tried she is in affords point area.

Thanks in advance I thought it was a strange question

The vet can show you how do express them yourself (some vicks vapour rub under your nose, gloves on your hand - hold your breath and away you go!), it's actually not difficult. Just a bit messy and gross. But much cheaper!

The vet can show you how do express them yourself (some vicks vapour rub under your nose, gloves on your hand - hold your breath and away you go!), it's actually not difficult. Just a bit messy and gross. But much cheaper!

Was just about to say the same. If she can get the vet to take her though it the first time she will be able to do them herself.

YUMMO!

If all the vet is doing is squeezing the anal glands and charging $100 for that then she is being ripped off. My local vet charges $20 to do anal glands, it only takes a few minutes- suggest she try another vet!

Same here...my vet only charges me $18. I let it known when I make the appointment that it is for her anal glands. I would be shopping around :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

My vet does it for nothing... I just get it done when I'm there for something else (I have never been charged for it).

Go to another vet!

I do my own dogs. Once you know how it isn't difficult unless there is an infection (and for one of mine expressing them every so often prevents this from happening). But increasing bulk in food helps (I add chopped vege's, bran and psyllium husk to my dogs food to do this), I've also stated making sure they have 1-2 decent bones each week and that seems to be helping.

The other thing that seems to have helped is that we have just recently started seeing a chiropractor. Since having treatments with her I've only had to do the anal glands once, and it was much easier and more as a preventative rather than me seeing signs that they needed doing. So it may be worth telling your sister to find a good dog chiro, as that should certainly be cheaper than what it sounds like she's paying her vet to express the glands!!! I think my chiro costs about $70-ish and they get a 45 min treatment.

But if she does want to pay someone just to keep doing it then she really shouldn't be paying more than about $20-25. My vet will just do it for me during a vacc consultation or whatnot, and if I book in separately we see a vet nurse and then it costs around $18 I think (since i've learnt what to do I haven't booked in anymore!).

What is it with Iggies! My old boy also had to go every 6 weeks - it was a side effect of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Every dog I pick from the pound has very full anal glands, so many owners are just not aware of their dogs' needs.

I pay around $20 to get my dogs' bums done when necessary.

I think you might have made a typo - there's no way anyone would charge $100, I think you must mean $10 which is pretty good. That said, best to learn how to do it yourself as it's such a regular thing and give the diet a review.

What is it with Iggies! My old boy also had to go every 6 weeks - it was a side effect of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Every dog I pick from the pound has very full anal glands, so many owners are just not aware of their dogs' needs.

I pay around $20 to get my dogs' bums done when necessary.

I think you might have made a typo - there's no way anyone would charge $100, I think you must mean $10 which is pretty good. That said, best to learn how to do it yourself as it's such a regular thing and give the diet a review.

Pretty sure they wouldn't be here asking for cheaper options if they meant $10...

I find that incredible - I did have one vet try and charge me a consult fee for the squeezing of the glands which is what I'd requested when booking the time.

We had a major row and he reduced the consult fee to half, ie $30 - this is about 10 years ago now.

I've never had another vet try and overcharge me.

As a rescuer, it's not unusual for me to find owners who don't want to pay $20 once for anal glands nor the $10 per month approx cost for flea treatment or the $80 for a groom so I was wondering if it was $10 in this case, rather than $100.

$100 for the anal glands to be emptied is exhorbitant - if this is the price then I'd be contacting the Vet Association and Fair Trading - it's not normal.

For 100 a visit in a 13-14 yr old dog I'd want to be sure something else wasn't going on (i.e it's not just a simple anal gland expression). I'd be concerned re reoccurring anal gland abcess or anal gland neoplasia.

Consult/Anal gland expression + antibiotics + antiinflammatories = around $100