Hypothetical....

Dame Aussie

Hi,

When doing your evacuation kit......have a folder with a copy (and they dont have to be current) of all your accounts eg electricity, rates, phone, water, bank, insurances, car rego, dog rego etc etc.....if you end up losing everything, you will have a ccopy of all your account numbers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

When doing your evacuation kit......have a folder with a copy (and they dont have to be current) of all your accounts eg electricity, rates, phone, water, bank, insurances, car rego, dog rego etc etc.....if you end up losing everything, you will have a ccopy of all your account numbers

I have a scanned copy of all this stuff on an external hard drive, another one with all the photos and videos on it..

Leave the computers and just take these.

Hi,

I have a scanned copy of all this stuff on an external hard drive, another one with all the photos and videos on it..

Leave the computers and just take these.

Hi,

We have done that too....but also have hard copies, incase we cant get access to a computer......plus all our music is on another hard drive

I'm not sure about the safety/security of cloud services but I think they would be very useful for protecting photos and documents (scans) in the rare event that a disaster occurs so quickly you can't get home to save them, might be worth looking at that as well?

. We would head to KCC Park if safe or a military base. In the future I would consider a trailer if I had more dogs.

My sister-in-law lives on the Mornington Peninsula. When bushfire warnings came, she & lots of other people (many with pets & horsefloats) headed to a park close by the Naval base down there. The local authorities had declined to nominate a 'safe place'. So residents figured out their own.

BTW The Americans have a Pet Safe Coalition of volunteers (individuals & groups) that provides information, training & direct help in disasters.

http://www.petsafecoalition.org/

Even having a Pet Safe Information Centre would be helpful. Like sharing preparedness tips & offers of help.

Edited by mita

I recently (just before the flood) had a nasty bushfire scare. Kids lit a fire a hundred or so metres away. I was given only 5 minutes by my husband to pack up the house while he went off to fight to fire. In that time I packed 3 goats, 40 pekin chooks and chickens, a dog and a cat ready to go into the car. Plus a daughter. I decided to leave 3 older goats and the 20 or so laying hens. I felt terrible making this decision but they just wouldn't fit and I couldn't catch the chooks anyway. I ran around the house and took our computers, accounts etc file, box of grannys stuff and a box of toys that daughter packed. Nothing else was important. Luckily the wind changed and the fire didn't reach us. But what I did work out - where the hell are leads when you want them? I usually have lots of leads - they are everywhere. Nope could only find one so had to drag goats along with bailing twine that cut my fingers. We also are in the process of scanning all photos and storing elsewhere. Ditto with insurance etc file. And having a box of leads and other 'need now' stuff stored somewhere safe.

As for the original question. I have a daughter so she takes priority no matter what. But the dog is usually close to her anyway so easy to grab. With no notice, the goats would stay as they are too difficult to get out quickly and chooks also would die. I would leave all horses if unable to evacuate as one doesn't float and I wouldn't leave her alone. This would only be fire as they are in a flood-proof paddock and probably good with fire as it is eaten out. Dog and cat would come with us. I don't believe my husband would leave the dog and would carry her anywhere and probably take anyone out that told him to leave her.

Guest Wildthing

Having lived through the 2003 Canberra bush fires and not having sufficient notice of evacuation or equipment, I have since prepared myself with enough carriers for all the cats, chickens, ducks and rabbit, should the situation ever arise again. I purchased a trailer and had a shelf installed so that I can get two levels of carriers in. There is a canopy with a cover as well to reduce smoke inhalation and assist the animals to stay as calm as possible. I just hope I never find myself (or the animals in my care)in that situation again. In 2003, I had no idea what was happening and decided to stay and be calm for the animals. As they came inside, they stayed. There were several cats I could not account for. I had no idea where to go with the cats I had inside and figured I would not be allowed back to get the rest. We stayed and survived. I would not leave without any of the animals, even if it meant we all perished. If that did happen, at least I would know what happened to them all. I have completed the survey.

This is a good basic checklist: http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/prepared/

In regards to leads, a handy thing to have on hand is a heap of kennel slip leads. I have a heap from here: http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/designer-collars/kennel-and-grooming-leads

We have them all over the place, but I have put some specifically in the 'animal emergency box' (basically a plastic tub in the hall cupboard which has what we need for the animals in an emergency) so I don't need to search if I need some quickly.

I would definitely leave early with the pets. The two dogs are always with me, so it would take seconds to get them in the car. The cat would be a different story as he tends to wander and I'm not sure how long it would take to find him. I'd look for a reasonable period of time and leave him, hoping for the best if I couldn't find him. The guinea pig has his own fairly roomy carrier.

this is relevant for QLD people but there are other sites for other states/territories

http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/prepareyourpets.asp#_Preparing_your_Pets

NSW

http://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/media/1149.pdf (minimal mention of dogs/pets mostly page 59 onwards talks about livestock in general)

VIC

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/pet-care/pets-and-emergencies

SA Could not find relevant government site for here Anyone know where this info is?

WA

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/pages/StatementDetails.aspx?listName=StatementsCourt&StatId=3049

ACT & Tasmania nothing specific found Anyone else find anything for these locations?

NT

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/~/media/Files/Forms_Licences_Permits_Publications/Emergency/Factsheets/pet-emergency-kit.ashx

1359719588[/url]' post='6109700']
1359700744[/url]' post='6109327']

My dogs are my "children"... they come too or I'm staying with them. I couldn't live with myself if I scarpered to save my own skin and they were left to drown, burn, or starve to death.

If you have enough warning, get out early and take them with you. That's the only option I could live with.

T.

That is exactly how I feel.

My kids are grown men now and don't need me anymore.

I don't think most kids ever stop needing their mum no matter what agesmile.gif

I would leave early. I get torn up just at the thought, but if it came down to my life, I would leave the pets if I was majorly risking my own life to save them. I'm a single parent so that comes first.

We'd stay with the dogs. There is absolutely no way I could get in a helicopter and see the look on their face and terror in their eyes as I fly away and leave them behind. It would haunt my worst nightmares for the rest of my life. If we can't evacuate in time (sometimes you just don't get much warning), then we're staying. The OH feels that way too.