2013 Snorkeling On The Ningaloo Reef

kja

01 Feb 2013: Headed out for another hour & a half snorkel this morning and it was fantastic. Thought there would be a current as we have huge tides at the moment but other than a bit of snowy sand suspended you'd never know it.

FEB13_107_zps1e43beec.jpg

FEB13_106_zps6902e36e.jpg

Elysia expansa

FEB13_105_zps0b758e01.jpg

Godiva sp

FEB13_102_zpsdfbab35f.jpg

HUGE painted cray

FEB13_104_zps59303a38.jpg

funky snub-nosed pipefish, not sure what he is exactly. Super thin, was surprised the baby cam did so well

FEB13_101_zps8cc07e5c.jpg

FEB13_103_zpsf0f124fe.jpg

Edited by kja

thanks, MTD & MDM! Glad to know I'm not boring everyone :D

It's frickin' hot here today...we've just dropped to "feels like" 42.8C. Blech. So went snorkeling again and had a turtle, porcupinefish, tons of other schooling fishes, some nudibranchs, shrimp, octopus, crabs...it was actually a pretty quiet snorkel for most of the time. But, man, it felt good to be in the water for a couple of hours. AND I didn't get sunburned (much) Yay, Me :D

FEB13_134_zpsbd6bafd3.jpg

FEB13_133_zpsf60e797e.jpg

FEB13_132_zpse7c3b911.jpg

Panasonic TS3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

18 March 2013 - been sick sick sick since Thursday and finally feel a little better today so decided to hit the water for a quick, gentle snorkel. It felt GREAT and I wish I could have stayed longer but could feel the sun getting through the sunscreen & was feeling pretty run down after an hour. Found three little critters I've never seen before plus a lot of more common creatures.

Excellent colour on this crab

MAR13_117_zps4c6462e4.jpg

such a cutie juvenile pufferfish

MAR13_115_zps286fee51.jpg

pucker up cowfish

MAR13_116_zpsa22aa3d7.jpg

I dont know how I have missed this thread, glad your feeling better! Beautiful photos all of them as usual. The ones I have been sharing and tagging my friends in, they are just blown away they love them too!

@pheebs - sorry, I missed your question!! I haven't seen any sea horses here in ages and we don't get sea dragons this far north. I saw seahorses on my recent trip to Lembeh so you can check out those albums & threads if you like :)

@tlc - awww, thanks :)

Explored a new area today. It was OK, but not mind blowing. Think it will be better at low tide. Still found some very cool things including this awesome small ward's wobbegong shark tucked into a bommie

MAR13_119_zps16dd511e.jpg

what a long week it's been! Took advantage of a small lull in the wind today to sneak out for a 70 minute snorkel. Not much happening: some fishies, some squid eggs, a cute nurse shark, a funky jelly. Got stung by something on the surface so now the upper left half of my lip looks like a bad botox job, but at least it doesn't hurt anymore :)

MAR13_127_zpse91f6f4a.jpg

MAR13_128_zpsb023d4f8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been out to a spot I hadn't been to in probably at least 10 years a couple of times this past week. Super awesome!! Turtles, lemon sharks, grey reef sharks, shovelnose rays, whiptail rays, cowtail rays, tons of trevally, rabbitfish, mullet, darts, permits and other schooling guys. Have decided it's going to be one of those places where I want someone with me as the first day the lemon sharks were a bit disconcerting with their darting in, stalking & general freaking me out behaviour :D yesterday we only saw a couple and they didn't come in as close or for as long - which was a shame coz I was ready for them this time LOL

shovelnose rays everywhere

APR13_133_zpsff17ccdf.jpg

screen grab from video: turtle eating the submerged leaves

APR13_126_zps59da36a7.jpg

Not sure when I'll get back, have to wait for the next round of high tides!