Early Lead Training?

I love goldens

I took little Daisy out on her lead in the front yard and she went crazy. She was NOT happy!!!!!! She was bouncing and bounding around trying to get her collar off!

Is there any way of teaching her to calm down and that walks are good before we take her for her first proper walk? Or is it down to her first walk to teach her the good and the bad?

How have you gotten her used the collar and leash prior to the walk?

Pups need days to get used to the feel of a collar

then they need to respond very well to your voice ..and know to come to their name being called :)

then they need to get used to dragging a leash ...

then have a long leash with you on the other end ..and them being fed/played with etc ..make it a happy time . :)

if your pup is only 8 weeks ..then you have weeks yet before it is 'safe' disease wise , to walk her out on footpaths etc - SO you have plenty of time to do training etc in the backyard .

Take it easy ..but don't let her get away with acting precious/lying down/scratching etc and you removing collar.

Make it FUN .

Collar on ........favourite toy /cuddles/ball game

Collar on and 'sit' Dinner!

Collar on .. and treats

etc etc

until, she sees that collar , or responds to you telling her it's time ( I always say "Come, put this on :) " ) and hold it out ... they run into it after a while .

THEN she is collar trained..my way, anyhow ;)

Edited by persephone

Do you have another dog ?

I put a lead on my pups, carry them down the stairs to the drive way and put them down next to an older dog and then we are off. The main thing is to get them happily going forward and then you can tame things down from there is need be. I've never had a pup refuse to lead and after a couple of very short walks they are then able to be lead without the older dog and with encouragement alone.

Sounds perfectly normal.some pups accept straight away others scream like there being murdered .

Puppy treats .toys,walking backwards & just sitting on the lawn holding the lead & allow pup to move at there pace.

Through toy & allow pup to chase .

Ours never have collars one except for lead training

We train our pups from 6 weeks .

Providing the collar is puppy friendly don't panic about the puppy tainty ,just make it fun they will walk & sometimes that gentle tug of encouragement .

i agree with the chain lead! with a clip to attach to collar not a choke chain.We have a 12 week old ridgie and we started using this lead from when we got him at 8 weeks. Have now moved onto a regular nylon lead and he doesnt bite it at all. Even though he is crazy and bites everything he can lol