Soft Crate For Xtrail

PuddleDuck

Now that we've joined the xtrail club :D I really want to got a soft crate for in the back but I'm having trouble finding what I want. I want one that fits in lengthways (so not across the boot) and will leave enough room for me to shove the pram and other toddler crap down the side of the crate. I would really like to put both dogs in 1 crate if I could. We have a toller and a shepherd x that is about the size of a lab. They would only be in there for short trips-just the park and stuff. Longer trips they would have the boot to themselves.

I know a few DOLers have xtrails so hoping someone has the answer!

Thanks

I personally would go wire if putting 2 dogs in it even if its short trips.

I have excellent ones but the added pressure on the sides when laying will most likely break it at some point & yes i have had my well trained dogs suddenly fall out the sides whilst laying after much use,easy to repair but adds up after awhile

Soft crates VERY hot especially with 2 dogs in.

Also always drive safe and allow for unexpected as in rear end or side collision soft crate will give no protection, so a very sturdy cage is better option. For all your other items have a raised floor (small shelf across boot area with sides to support, this can be left in boot but easily removed if required. Store all your items like pram bags etc under shelf and place crate/cage secured with secura strap on top You will still have extra room beside for any other items you need to carry etc.

One idea -> http://www.motoraccessories.net.au/passenger/j1427/Dog-Containment-Cage-Astra

post-34794-0-11375700-1359860061_thumb.jpg

post-34794-0-10164500-1359860207_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. The xtrail already has a false floor with storage under it but the pram is too bulky to fit. I might talk to hubby about building one for my car though! We have a wire crate but a friend has it so I'll grab it back and give it a go. I may get a cover for it though, I want to *try* to contain the hair :laugh:

Also always drive safe and allow for unexpected as in rear end or side collision soft crate will give no protection, so a very sturdy cage is better option. For all your other items have a raised floor (small shelf across boot area with sides to support, this can be left in boot but easily removed if required. Store all your items like pram bags etc under shelf and place crate/cage secured with secura strap on top You will still have extra room beside for any other items you need to carry etc.

One idea -> http://www.motoraccessories.net.au/passenger/j1427/Dog-Containment-Cage-Astra

Why do you say soft crates are hotter. I use a soft crate and it has pretty much floor to ceiling mesh on 5 of the 6 sides. I put both my IGs in it. They don't go in the back back though, I put them on the backseat with an a/c vent in front of them. Never seen them pant in the car and they have been out in some super hot days too.

A M/L K9+ crate fits in a Xtrail boot with the seats up. You aren't going to get your 2 dogs in there! I fit one border collie in. The other border collie sits in the other half of the boot.

The K9+ crates are actually cooler inside btw as they have insulation in the roof. If i stick my hand in the crate it is always slightly cooler.

Why do you say soft crates are hotter. I use a soft crate and it has pretty much floor to ceiling mesh on 5 of the 6 sides. I put both my IGs in it. They don't go in the back back though, I put them on the backseat with an a/c vent in front of them. Never seen them pant in the car and they have been out in some super hot days too.

Possibly because in QLD we have much much Hotter weather and I have 2 long coat dogs, one double coat and poodle with full show coat, and I have K9 soft crates (bigger then size needed for dogs) and used with fans as both dogs become overheated very quickly if left in them at comps without added ventilation of fan etc, in vehicle they travel in harnessses with air con on.I did put soft crate in boot space and put thermometer in it and drove 2 hours to showgrounds with air con on in car. Temp on arrival in crate with all sections open was 37.9deg can't imagine what it would have been if dog had been in there as well. left crate under shade of tree outside Temp according to my vehicle guage was 31deg, with crate sides up and screened area of it allowing circulation after 4 hours Temp was reading 38.5deg. So that was enough for me I went straight out and purchased open wire crates only time soft crates now get used is in winter and at night trials and even then I am constantly checking, as often after a run dog will come back over heated and then go into crate so naturally body heat as they pant disipates but obviously stays in the confined area due to the 'insulation/waterproofing, of these crates.

Have you ever been in a tent with mesh walls? It is much hotter than an open shelter. I would never put coated breeds in a soft crate if the weather wasn't very cool. IGs have no coat and virtually no body fat so feel the cold easily. Breeds that happily survive in snow get way too hot in any enclosed crate.