Puppy Swallowed Chicken Neck Whole

Sg1suzi

A 4kg terrier can swallow a whole chicken wing? necks I understand ..they are the right size/shape :( Have you tried feeding whole wings semi frozen?

I agree with chicken frames /turkey wing portions /rabbit backs

He'd try to and I had to pull it from his mouth and he's not very happy about that. Haven't tried frozen so I'll do that and also try the chicken frames, thanks :)

Can you find turkey at Woolies? I don't think I've ever seen those at my local butcher's.

I get my turkey from Woolies, that's the only place I have seen it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamb neck noissettes (from willies or the butcher). You can get them about 1cm thuck

perhaps not for a gulper :( they are shaped to get stuck/cause damage ....

The actual neck bone wouldn't fit in their mouth? My 9 + 10kg dogs can't swallow them whole.

Lamb neck noissettes (from willies or the butcher). You can get them about 1cm thuck

perhaps not for a gulper :( they are shaped to get stuck/cause damage ....

The actual neck bone wouldn't fit in their mouth? My 9 + 10kg dogs can't swallow them whole.

I got them for my pugs thinking they would be good, but once they chewed the meat off, the bone left in the middle looked pretty nasty (looked like a vertebra?) and the perfect size for them to choke on, so I took it off them. My pugs are 10kg.

My butcher has the whole though, so not cut up but the entire neck still in one long piece and I've wondered if this would be better, but I still think the little vertebra looking things would be the same inside regardless of the outside size of the neck piece.

Necks are vertebrae ..and when sliced , look a bit like a star ..with several spiny very sharp bits. I have seen these bits stuck in mouths/between teeth ...

Feeding necks whole ..or sliced in half along the length makes a big difference to how the dogs chew them :)

I used to only ever feed noisettes to my cats , who loved them ..and my boy used to eat bone & all !!

Please be careful with chicken necks, my friend's dear little dog choked on a piece of chicken neck that he tried to swallow without chewing.

Agree with dogmad for the same reason. Beagle breeder that we know also lost a pup (12 weeks).

Shit happens I know but I would switch to a wing.

Suitably sized/textured meaty bones are one of the best foods , IMO.

Unfortunately the trend is to chop them up ..which defeats the purpose ..or to feed very large and hard bones which may injure teeth/gums.

I think the BEST bones are those with the meal attached , so a dog uses ALL its back teeth in a scissor/gnawing motion to obtain that meat , its front teeth to pull meat off, and finally the back teeth surfaces to crunch the remainder ... :)

I also think this should occupy quite a long time .. so the endorphins flow, and the muscles get a workout .... :)

Do you have any suggestion for a meaty bone for a 4kg silky terrier? I can't give him chicken wings/neck because he's a gulper. And no weight-bearing bone because it will chip his teeth :confused:

I sometimes buy soup bones.

I look for the most meaty ones.

Wollies also do lamb, beef and pork offcuts which they bag up and sell relatively cheaply.

I buy them regularly and divy up the meat and bones between the three dogs.

Please be careful with chicken necks, my friend's dear little dog choked on a piece of chicken neck that he tried to swallow without chewing.

Agree with dogmad for the same reason. Beagle breeder that we know also lost a pup (12 weeks).

Shit happens I know but I would switch to a wing.

My puppy buyers are advised that chicken necks are an absolute no-no for pups.

I don't allow necks until the dogs are fully grown.

as an update i froze the necks in 3's so they are a nice frozen chunk and have fed them to puppy supervised. Much better result, he actually chews and crunches them now, i dont leacve him though in case they come unstuck and he tries to eat one whole again. I'm going to buy wings or frames from now on though.

thanks everyone for your help

as an update i froze the necks in 3's so they are a nice frozen chunk and have fed them to puppy supervised. Much better result, he actually chews and crunches them now, i dont leacve him though in case they come unstuck and he tries to eat one whole again. I'm going to buy wings or frames from now on though.

thanks everyone for your help

:thumbsup: Yay! Freezing them is great for making them slow down.

We have been getting lamb offcuts from Woolies too recently. We've even found some almost as big as lamb necks! They have a bit of bone and lots of meat, the hounds love them.

Not worth feeding bones at all IMO - too much of a worry. I would rather just give other chews for teeth cleaning purposes.

How are other chews any different to bones if they are the same shape etc ... except that bones are better for them in the end.

Yes, at least they provide nutrition and calcium

Not worth feeding bones at all IMO - too much of a worry. I would rather just give other chews for teeth cleaning purposes.

How are other chews any different to bones if they are the same shape etc ... except that bones are better for them in the end.

Yes, at least they provide nutrition and calcium

So do many of the chews. I have been using a tried fish chew which is quite hard and good for the teeth.

I have know dogs to die from choking on a piece of dog roll, kibble, chunks of raw meat, the reality is anything that goes in a dogs mouth has the potential to go down the wrong way or unchewed. Undigested chunks or raw hide and other processed treats have also killed dogs from obstructions.

I've never understood the concept behind feeding dogs bone, bone is dangerous and not nutritious. If you want clean teeth don't be lazy scale, and brush them. A natural mouth wash of about 50ml colloidal silver, 1 drop pure peppermint oil and 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract should safely keep your dogs mouth healthy. The only way I'm aware of safely and nutritiously feeding dogs bones is to pressure cook them for hours & hours until they are completely soft & mushy. Even then I think it can only be done with poultry bones & is a lot of work but if you can get your hands on a lot of them your dogs will love you for it.

Edited by bingo

I've never understood the concept behind feeding dogs bone, bone is dangerous and not nutritious. If you want clean teeth don't be lazy scale, and brush them. A natural mouth wash of about 50ml colloidal silver, 1 drop pure peppermint oil and 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract should safely keep your dogs mouth healthy. The only way I'm aware of safely and nutritiously feeding dogs bones is to pressure cook them for hours & hours until they are completely soft & mushy. Even then I think it can only be done with poultry bones & is a lot of work but if you can get your hands on a lot of them your dogs will love you for it.

This wins the prize for most bizzare and inaccurate post of the month!

How can you say that bones are not nutritious :confused: A good turkey neck would have to obtain lots of nutrition...calcium for one & the sinew is what the dogs need to clean their teeth, just like dental floss does for us. My dogs drewl when they see a turkey neck, so that increased saliva has got to be good for their teeth. My dogs are two & five years old & have had turkey necks their whole life...never a problem & the vet is amazed at how good their gums & teeth are :thumbsup: Please dont tell me I am lazy because I don't put my dogs through the trauma of brushing their teeth everynight before bed. I don't see too many dingos around my place brushing their teeth & spraying with peppermint before bed. :rofl:

Edited by sheena