Puppy Swallowed Chicken Neck Whole

Sg1suzi

I got some chicken necks to give my puppy, threw one out in the garden and he went to swallow it whole, I retried it from his mouth and then held it while he chewed it a little then he grabbed it off me and gobbled it down in one, he's only a 4kg puppy and now I'm really worried about him, he obviously hasn't choked but will his body be able to digest it okay? I also now have a freezer full of chicken necks and not sure what is best way to feed them to him in the future

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will digest it fine. I would tend to try and on-sell them and go for something bigger - but if that's impossible I see a long future for you holding chicken necks until they're alllllllllllllllllllllllll gone :laugh:

Some do learn to chew, so that might happen.

Thanks everyone, mind at rest, he is happily running round the garden chasing the law mower so I'm sure he is fine. Little monkey, I think we can safely say he approves of the RAW diet. I've frozen them in sets of 3 now so I could try giving them frozen, or I can sit and hold them for him I guess, and yes I think chicken quarters next!!!!!!!!!

Also would 3 chicken necks be suitable amount to give him at once or is that too much? He normally has half a barf pattie a day (125g ish) plus he has some kibble too, I would substitute a barf meal for the necks

Elsie would swallow them whole when she was little, so I gave her a few frozen ones and gave her room to eat them (she would bolt them down if I hovered over her while she was eating) and she learned to chew them. She is a 13kg dog full grown and will.carefully chew necks and wings.

My puppy swallowed a thick chicken neck once and it got stuck in her throat. I noticed something was wrong because she was whimpering and was backed into a corner. My bf checked her throat & found the neck stuck in there. He massaged it down and it finally went down. She then regurgitated it, smelled it and then swallowed it again (eww lol).

But yeah they do eat them whole. Now we chop them in bite-size pieces just to be safe. ^_^

My puppy swallowed a thick chicken neck once and it got stuck in her throat. I noticed something was wrong because she was whimpering and was backed into a corner. My bf checked her throat & found the neck stuck in there. He massaged it down and it finally went down. She then regurgitated it, smelled it and then swallowed it again (eww lol).

But yeah they do eat them whole. Now we chop them in bite-size pieces just to be safe. ^_^

I would suggest you ditch the chicken necks and go for something bigger - bite-sized pieces are just easier to swallow whole.

I give my dogs a chicken wing or a drumstick for breakfast

On the weekend they regularly have chicken carcasses.

We don't give puppies chicken necks at all, for obvious reasons, and I am surprised at the advice given here, especially as you are unexperienced.

I would be blending the remaining necks, and not continuing to feed them whole at all.

The amount you feed depends on the breed, and there are good guidelines about the weight of feed to give them each day on the back of quality dog foods.

Just divide that into 3 to 6 feeds a day depending on the pup's age.

Good Luck

I regularly fed chicken necks to my greyhound pups, they were great, sitting in a semi cirle around my feet as I fed them one by one using a pair of tongs :laugh: Little needle teeth!

But I have fed them to big and small dogs including one dog with no teeth, he just swallowed them whole.