Puppy Swallowed Chicken Neck Whole

Sg1suzi

You could always get the chicken frames and hack them into a few pieces, not sure with such a small dog how many bits though. My GSDs eat a whole or half frame and they actually have to chew!

My pugs get whole frames, or half frames. Anything smaller and they just swallow it whole (including chicken wing and chicken feet which is hilariously disgusting to watch :eek: )

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always get the chicken frames and hack them into a few pieces, not sure with such a small dog how many bits though. My GSDs eat a whole or half frame and they actually have to chew!

My pugs get whole frames, or half frames. Anything smaller and they just swallow it whole (including chicken wing and chicken feet which is hilariously disgusting to watch :eek: )

Oh wow! That would be a sight to see! I must be lucky as mine will chew wings (I don't give necks) :)

Please be careful with chicken necks, my friend's dear little dog choked on a piece of chicken neck that he tried to swallow without chewing.

:worship:

That's what I was trying to say but I don't have any experience of what can happen.

I am sorry about your friend's dog.

I have one serious gulper here. She will swallow chicken wings whole, it bothers me a lot. I have seen wings come out the other end, all flesh gone, but bone still in zig zag shape. :eek:

What we do with her is take all pressure off her at meal times. Separate her from all dogs and people. Either throw 1 bone or wing or whatever out to her and quickly retreat shutting the door, turn my back and leave so she can't see me even out of the corner of her eye. If she thinks there is another bone coming or other dogs around, she will gulp. If it is 100% safe area to eat slowly with no threat (in her mind) she will give it at least a couple of chomps. If I want her to have another, I will give it the same way after she is completely finished.

There are some bones that I just don't trust her with, so I don't give them to her. Otherwise I might give it a quick smash with a malet if the bones with crush, not splinter.

Please be careful with chicken necks, my friend's dear little dog choked on a piece of chicken neck that he tried to swallow without chewing.

Seconded...my Border Terrier puppy died at 10 weeks old from choking on a chicken neck - not a happy experience :cry:

Not worth feeding bones at all IMO - too much of a worry. I would rather just give other chews for teeth cleaning purposes.

How are other chews any different to bones if they are the same shape etc ... except that bones are better for them in the end.

Not worth feeding bones at all IMO - too much of a worry. I would rather just give other chews for teeth cleaning purposes.

How are other chews any different to bones if they are the same shape etc ... except that bones are better for them in the end.

Because a lot of them are not rock hard and are more digestible.

Chews are nowhere near as effective at cleaning teeth as bones. Not to mention the fact they're processed and probably full of all kinds of additives etc.

As long as there is some supervision and you are sensible the benefits of feeding bones far outweighs any risk.

Suitably sized/textured meaty bones are one of the best foods , IMO.

Unfortunately the trend is to chop them up ..which defeats the purpose ..or to feed very large and hard bones which may injure teeth/gums.

I think the BEST bones are those with the meal attached , so a dog uses ALL its back teeth in a scissor/gnawing motion to obtain that meat , its front teeth to pull meat off, and finally the back teeth surfaces to crunch the remainder ... :)

I also think this should occupy quite a long time .. so the endorphins flow, and the muscles get a workout .... :)

Unfortunately the trend is to chop them up ..which defeats the purpose ..or to feed very large and hard bones which may injure teeth/gums.

I think the BEST bones are those with the meal attached , so a dog uses ALL its back teeth in a scissor/gnawing motion to obtain that meat , its front teeth to pull meat off, and finally the back teeth surfaces to crunch the remainder ... :)

I also think this should occupy quite a long time .. so the endorphins flow, and the muscles get a workout .... :)

Do you have any suggestion for a meaty bone for a 4kg silky terrier? I can't give him chicken wings/neck because he's a gulper. And no weight-bearing bone because it will chip his teeth :confused:

Do you have any suggestion for a meaty bone for a 4kg silky terrier? I can't give him chicken wings/neck because he's a gulper. And no weight-bearing bone because it will chip his teeth :confused:

Chicken frames

Guest donatella

I am far too paranoid to give mine bones so they get massive ones on the odd occasion but other then that no no. Hear of far too many toy breeds dying from choking on chicken bones, not worth the risk (for my guys and I'm a sook :D)

A 4kg terrier can swallow a whole chicken wing? necks I understand ..they are the right size/shape :( Have you tried feeding whole wings semi frozen?

I agree with chicken frames /turkey wing portions /rabbit backs

He'd try to and I had to pull it from his mouth and he's not very happy about that. Haven't tried frozen so I'll do that and also try the chicken frames, thanks :)

Can you find turkey at Woolies? I don't think I've ever seen those at my local butcher's.