Puppy Swallowed Chicken Neck Whole

Sg1suzi

I've never understood the concept behind feeding dogs bone, bone is dangerous and not nutritious. If you want clean teeth don't be lazy scale, and brush them. A natural mouth wash of about 50ml colloidal silver, 1 drop pure peppermint oil and 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract should safely keep your dogs mouth healthy. The only way I'm aware of safely and nutritiously feeding dogs bones is to pressure cook them for hours & hours until they are completely soft & mushy. Even then I think it can only be done with poultry bones & is a lot of work but if you can get your hands on a lot of them your dogs will love you for it.

This wins the prize for most bizzare and inaccurate post of the month!

I seem to have hit a raw nerve here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say that bones are not nutritious :confused: A good turkey neck would have to obtain lots of nutrition...calcium for one & the sinew is what the dogs need to clean their teeth, just like dental floss does for us. My dogs drewl when they see a turkey neck, so that increased saliva has got to be good for their teeth. My dogs are two & five years old & have had turkey necks their whole life...never a problem & the vet is amazed at how good their gums & teeth are :thumbsup: Please dont tell me I am lazy because I don't put my dogs through the trauma of brushing their teeth everynight before bed. I don't see too many dingos around my place brushing their teeth & spraying with peppermint before bed. :rofl:

All I'm saying is there's safer ways to get your pet the adequate amount of calcium and clean their teeth. Bone marrow is most likey highly nutritious but very fatty, bone it's self meh. Would you feed your dogs raw turkey drumstick or thigh bones?

Edited by bingo

How can you say that bones are not nutritious :confused: A good turkey neck would have to obtain lots of nutrition...calcium for one & the sinew is what the dogs need to clean their teeth, just like dental floss does for us. My dogs drewl when they see a turkey neck, so that increased saliva has got to be good for their teeth. My dogs are two & five years old & have had turkey necks their whole life...never a problem & the vet is amazed at how good their gums & teeth are :thumbsup: Please dont tell me I am lazy because I don't put my dogs through the trauma of brushing their teeth everynight before bed. I don't see too many dingos around my place brushing their teeth & spraying with peppermint before bed. :rofl:

All I'm saying is there's safer ways to get your pet the adequate amount of calcium and clean their teeth. Bone marrow is most likey highly nutritious but very fatty, bone it's self meh. Would you feed your dogs raw turkey drumstick or thigh bones?

My dogs get turkey legs.

My dogs get turkey legs.

Would you stop feeding them to them if they got a shard lodged in their throat or ruptured their GI tract?

My dogs get turkey legs.

Would you stop feeding them to them if they got a shard lodged in their throat or ruptured their GI tract?

Probably, they don't get them often coz it makes one of them do horrid stinky farts :laugh: . The bulk of their diet is chicken frames.

If Turkey legs are too big for your dog to crunch, feed something smaller, like chicken.

No..as they are weight bearing bones...I feed turkey necks & wings if I can't get necks. There wouldn't be much nutrient left after you pressure cook them for hours.

I've never understood the concept behind feeding dogs bone, bone is dangerous and not nutritious. If you want clean teeth don't be lazy scale, and brush them. A natural mouth wash of about 50ml colloidal silver, 1 drop pure peppermint oil and 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract should safely keep your dogs mouth healthy. The only way I'm aware of safely and nutritiously feeding dogs bones is to pressure cook them for hours & hours until they are completely soft & mushy. Even then I think it can only be done with poultry bones & is a lot of work but if you can get your hands on a lot of them your dogs will love you for it.

Dogs are designed beautifully to chew up meaty bones, it is what comes naturally. Accusing owners of being lazy for not scaling and cleaning their dogs teeth when they are feeding a species appropriate diet is quite funny.

No..as they are weight bearing bones...I feed turkey necks & wings if I can't get necks. There wouldn't be much nutrient left after you pressure cook them for hours.

I think the calcium would still be there and most likely a lot more bio available as for the marrow not so much. I think I recall reading that shards arent the only problematic thing about bone and that apparently even small fragments can remain undigested and accumulate overtime. This is true also for some humans who ingest unimaginable things like large amounts of hair most commonly found in severe cases of atypical Tricotilomanía.

As I said I thought I could recall but would have to look into it further. Are you sure? Sure that the source dosen't just say they're cpable of digesting bone?

Edited by bingo

I am not a fan of bones fed without attached meat, but I often feed whole rabbits, whole chickens and meaty bones like pork tails and lamb flap. I have had dogs live to a ripe old age eating those bones, if bone just sat and accumulated in the gut those dogs would have been chock a block, lol.

I am not a fan of bones fed without attached meat, but I often feed whole rabbits, whole chickens and meaty bones like pork tails and lamb flap. I have had dogs live to a ripe old age eating those bones, if bone just sat and accumulated in the gut those dogs would have been chock a block, lol.

Well sadly in some dogs I think this is the case. Whether it hinders them or not I'd imagine it would, and how are you really going to know unless you own an X ray machine.

Well sadly in some dogs I think this is the case. Whether it hinders them or not I'd imagine it would, and how are you really going to know unless you own an X ray machine.

Pretty sure a dog would show signs of discomfort and blockages.

Yes I am sure they would too, also not be as vigorous and athletic well into old age as they were. I think I would notice them 'hindered', lol. And without my own x-ray machine! And at the risk of being gross, I know everything that goes into and comes out of them too -any issues would be noticed very quickly. I am actually rather amused at the idea I would need my own x-ray machine to spot a problem.

I should add every bone is fed raw, nothing cooked here.

Edited by Diva

I'm sure the intestine is capable of dialting enough to pass fresh matter pass old. When was the last time you went on a turkey neck diet?

The upside of feeding necks is that if your lucky they may stay intact enough not to cause any problems. But I wouldn't take the risk especially on a day to day basis, and would certainly advise agaist feeding any bones that have a tendency to shard or splinter.

I'm sure the intestine is capable of dialting enough to pass fresh matter pass old. When was the last time you went on a turkey neck diet?

The upside of feeding necks is that if your lucky they may stay intact enough not to cause any problems. But I wouldn't take the risk especially on a day to day basis, and would certainly advise agaist feeding any bones that have a tendency to shard or splinter.

I don't feed necks by themselves, not meaty enough for my guys, but I certainly don't judge what they should eat by what I do. I can't quite imagine digging into some raw green tripe, lol, but it works great for them. Bad enough we treat some dogs as mere humans, hideous if we feed them that way to.

Edited by Diva

Humans digestive systems are quite different to that of the dog, so thats not a valid argument.

Feed what you want, but don't spread inaccurate and incorrect information.

Humans digestive systems are quite different to that of the dog, so thats not a valid argument.

Sorry whats not vailid about it?

Sorry whats not vailid about it? I personally think feeding bone to dogs is risky business man! And I'm certain there is alot of eveidence to back this. But we are all entitled to our own opinions so you just believe what you want to.

Edited by bingo

Just an update that I've tried freezing the chicken wing and leg, with fat removed, and he hasn't been able to gulp it down. He loves it and it's easy to prepare, which is a plus. His poo hasn't always been great so I'm hoping it will improve as I introduce more raw into his diet.