Can You Help Me Identify?

Ashli

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I though German Shorthaired Pointer x Cattle Dog.

I was going with this too.

Looks like a puppy to me. Have you checked his teeth tp determine age?

Same.. GSP x was the first thing I saw but then I have never been much good at guess the breed.

I would put 'possible Smithfield Blue Cattle Dog cross' and then a description.

Yes there are Catahoula Dogs in Aus. Look at RSPCA Noosa for 3 youngsters. There was some imported a few years ago in Central Qld for pig dogs. I have seen quite a few around. Some look crossed with danes and some have the wolfhound type look about them. But he doesn't look like he has that in him to me.

Hope the dog was taken to the pound so the owners can find it.

Yes, this is very important.

Unfortunately there is no pound here. It is that much of a rural town. There used to be a ranger but he now runs the tip. Instead the shire have my details and are happy (and I prefer at this stage) to hold onto him. There's only one tiny IGA/post office and I've got an ad up there, have let some of the farms know so they can pass the info around, have it up on the local fb for sale page and put it up at the school this morning. Not much else I can do. Just hope someone checks the only places available here and sees him coz he is really a lovely puppy with lovely manners.

He had no collar so I grabbed him one yesterday as well.

Most of the dogs here wander, which is really stupid. Mostly everyone knows (the long term locals) who's dog belongs to which person, most of the dogs are always off leash.

I though German Shorthaired Pointer x Cattle Dog.

I was going with this too.

Looks like a puppy to me. Have you checked his teeth tp determine age?

Same.. GSP x was the first thing I saw but then I have never been much good at guess the breed.

He is about 3mths by the look of his teeth :)

I see no GSP (other than the colour) but then again he may simply have a deformed (roached) back and that would not normally be a part of his natural anatomy. He has a wierd flap of skin under his chin, I honestly cannot say I recognize that shape at all. If he is lazy that may seem to imply some giant breed influence maybe?

Edited by BlackJaq

I see no GSP (other than the colour) but then again he may simply have a deformed (roached) back and that would not normally be a part of his natural anatomy. He has a wierd flap of skin under his chin, I honestly cannot say I recognize that shape at all. If he is lazy that may seem to imply some giant breed influence maybe?

For a puppy (well compared to pups I'm used to) he is very lazy, preferring to sleep and lay down next to the feet than bound around. At first I had thought maybe he was just shy, but he doesn't shy away from adults or kids, wags his tail happily. He doesn't lick, doesn't play bite, doesn't jump, doesn't scratch. He's inquisitive and has thoroughly checked out his temp surroundings. Again he's very well behaved for such a youngun.

Weird I thought shar pei when I saw his muzzle. Cute pup, hopefully Simeone is looking for him.

my 5yr old cried when I said he wasn't ours to keep but that we were just helping him find his way home again. I had to explain that even though he is sad, that the family who lost him is more sad. He was still upset but seemed to understand.

So I hope his owners see the ads or ring the shire, or someone who recognises him will make contact so we can reunite them :)

Ashli, I know you said that there is no pound, but is there a vet close by?

A vet will be able to scan him for a micro-chip and find his owners that way :)

he sounds like such a lovely pup :)

He most definitely is, someone must be missing him terribly :(

We have a vet that travels here once a month (not here atm) or so otherwise it's a 2 and a bit hours drive to the nearest big town. Even in emergencies we would have to make the drive, they don't come out here for emergency calls. This is my first time living in such a tiny community, I'm not used to having so little. :( You pretty much do have to fend for yourself in most things out here. Even for the human side we miss out, like the dentist comes once every couple/few months, highschoolers go to boarding school, our gp runs two clinics in separate towns as well as being the hospital doctor.... we're very small lol

Bull arab x pointer x cattledog x hound (any sort) x bull terrier.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">Depending on size/age, is it possible that he is a pig or roo dog?

:thumbsup:

I was trying to figure out how to suggest that ;)

Cosmolo's boy Dexter had a similar big chunky boy look as a baby though not quite so roachy a back.

I can see pointer & bloodhound in that boy and probably a fair few other things that have all been added over the years. I suspect he is going to be a bigger boy.

Edited by Trisven13

Ashli, I know you said that there is no pound, but is there a vet close by?

A vet will be able to scan him for a micro-chip and find his owners that way :)

he sounds like such a lovely pup :)

He most definitely is, someone must be missing him terribly :(

We have a vet that travels here once a month (not here atm) or so otherwise it's a 2 and a bit hours drive to the nearest big town. Even in emergencies we would have to make the drive, they don't come out here for emergency calls. This is my first time living in such a tiny community, I'm not used to having so little. :( You pretty much do have to fend for yourself in most things out here. Even for the human side we miss out, like the dentist comes once every couple/few months, highschoolers go to boarding school, our gp runs two clinics in separate towns as well as being the hospital doctor.... we're very small lol

Yeah I can imagine that sort of isolation would take a bit of getting used to! Puppy is very lucky you found him too.

Well it looks like you are definitely stuck with him for the time being! Hopefully all the work you're putting in will locate his owners soon :)