Waiting On Zeke's Breed Dna Test...

Definately lab probably black X with Kelpie X yellow lab

At the extreme breed side lab X Kelpie x GSP but in saying that I think you would get more white on dog + spotting what is skin pigment colour and also is there any freckling on skin especially belly/chest?

No freckling that I can see, no. He has one tiny white flash upon his chest though! Any other pale hairs have arisen from age; around his muzzle, chin and paws.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've had a few done....has been 'interesting'

This is one of my dogs (the Black one)...

This is his DNA test... click here

Now I would have said Lab cross... but then I have an almost lookalike dog myself...

... and I KNOW that her mum was pure Rotti... *grin*

T.

Mine's just a mini i.e. 15/16 kilos.

Hahaha! Mine's around 28-30 kgs... and her "dad" was a supposed pittie that had jumped the fence... looked like your average nondescript tan staffy X from what was pointed out to me wandering the street outside my dog's seller's place...

In all honesty, I don't really care what breed mix my own dogs are - it would be useful to know how big they may get when you adopt them as pups though...

As for our rescues that are up for adoption, we always tell new owners (or prospective new owners) that our breed mix guesses are just that... guesses. We can't guarantee that a particular pup of 8 weeks is going to big, small, or otherwise... my Harper looked to be tracking to grow about staffy x size until she hit 10 weeks old - only then did it become somewhat apparent that there was Dane in her mix. I love her to death anyways, and love big dogs, so it was never going to be an issue for me... but it may have been an issue for someone wanting a smaller dog... errr!

T.

I agree, I don't understand, if you want the assurance of knowing what the dog is 100% buy a pedigree purebred. If you buy a rescue, or a cross-breed, just love your dog for the unique and wonderful mutt that it is.

Some people...such as myself were curious. You're implying myself and others need 'assurance' - I do not, others probably don't either and of course they love their dog for whom they are. I find it rather odd you wouldn't understand curiousity.

Did the service satisfy your curiosity?

Many people are invested in the idea that their dog is of certain breeds, and so I think some people have the test done for assurance. Maybe not yourself, but very few people buy a dog that hasn't been advertised as a certain breed or breed cross. It unlikely that most are going to accept news that doesn't fit in with what they already believe. Unfortunately many people don't realise that the only dogs that can be identified by phenotype alone are normally purebred.

Sure.

Actually, if I adopted a mixed breed of indeterminate heritage, I'd find the test fun!

A friend of mine recently adopted a year old rescue and we haven't the faintest clue what dogs contributed to his makeup beyond a stab at "pug" because his face is unusual, but that could be anything from a boxer to a pekingese. She doesn't care at all what his lineage really is, since what he is first and foremost is a gorgeous dog and a real testament to the fact that not all rescues are damaged goods. But the test could be a lot of fun and I'm going to suggest it to her. :)

Actually, if I adopted a mixed breed of indeterminate heritage, I'd find the test fun!

A friend of mine recently adopted a year old rescue and we haven't the faintest clue what dogs contributed to his makeup beyond a stab at "pug" because his face is unusual, but that could be anything from a boxer to a pekingese. She doesn't care at all what his lineage really is, since what he is first and foremost is a gorgeous dog and a real testament to the fact that not all rescues are damaged goods. But the test could be a lot of fun and I'm going to suggest it to her. :)

That's all I did it for... curiosity and fun! The tests have been a bit of a hot topic between customers, dog park friends and online so I admit to being curious at their accuracy. If I learn something from it, great!

Waiting on the vet to call me back... wonder if they will tell me over the phone, or I have to go in and pick it up. Wish they had online results!!

We went through Gt labs when we had our dog tested, for a bit of fun. He was a rescue that was dumped at about 4 weeks old. When we adopted him, we thought he might have been a staffy x boxer of something, but he kept growing! Turns out he was mainly Bullmastiff and Rotty!

Okay, quick over the phone word to my favourite vet nurse reveals... Labrador Retriever, Boxer !!!! and GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER :dancingelephant:

This is so exciting :D I'm going to pick up the full test today and pour over it :D

Going back and having a look, I'm finding the 'Boxer' a bit harder to believe than the GSP he totally looks like he could be a Lab x GSP... :)

Okay, quick over the phone wording to my favourite vet nurse reveals... Labrador Retriever, Boxer !!!! and GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER :dancingelephant:

This is so exciting :D I'm going to pick up the full test today and pour over it :D

Going back and having a look, I'm finding the 'Boxer' a bit harder to believe than the GSP he totally looks like he could be a Lab x GSP... :)

I don't find it hard to believe a randomly cross bred dog would contain genes that are not expressed in phenotype. It's the reason why I appreciate purebred dogs so much.

The exagerrated features of breeds are usually the first to go, not really surprising that Zeke doesn't have a boxerish face.

One of my idiot inlaws had an accidental litter with her boxer bitch and her dads mutt

None of the pups had anything resemling boxer faces, although some had more of the boxer style body.

Okay and full test picked up! Zeke's breakdown is 50% lab, 25% mixed/unknown, 12.5% boxer and 12.5% GSP.

Zeke's Dad is half lab, quarter GSP and quarter Boxer. The only boxer trait I see in Zeke is his big deep chest... definitely not much boxer in phenotype. Funny considering that so many people see the GSP in his face!

His mother was interesting... the lab half in her was easily revealed, from two purebred lab parents, but the other half came back 'mixed breed' when his owners were sure her father was a cattle dog. Could be mistaken of course but I find it very likely the cattle dog was there, as all Zeke's siblings had the cattle dog markings. So either the test couldn't pick it up or there were multiple dads in his mum's litter!

The whole thing is a marketing marvel and a rather iffy exercise into statistics -

Aint that the truth.

I talked to one of the Advance people about this a few months ago - they told me they developed the DNA test so that they can sell more food - if you know your dog has a giant breed in it, then you need to feed advance giant/large breed. If you know you have a breed that is prone to weight issues then you also must feed advance weight control..

My vets (im guessing the one RF mentioned) are also using it for the same reason (if you know what breeds are in your dog you can then make sure you get the right preventative treatment before issues arise)

Just a fantastic way of making money, and its working well!

The whole thing is a marketing marvel and a rather iffy exercise into statistics -

Aint that the truth.

Actually the statistics are pretty solid. It's the same method used by molecular ecologists all over the world to identify wild populations. If you test a group of animals who live with with a barrier in the middle of their range, the method is surprisingly reliably at telling you which side of the barrier each individual lives on.

It's the genetics end where the test lives and dies. Garbage in; garbage out, and companies aren't going to spend a bunch of extra money to develop a thorough screening of the genome at informative markers. As I've said before, I fully believe that it's possible to develop a good breed test. I'm less sure that it can be done at a commercially viable price point and that there's the will out there to put in the groundwork.