Family Pet Mauled To Death

pie

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to go OT :o These sort of attacks just should not happen. There is no excuse.

It was a bad bite (wont go into details lol) I am grateful though that it was my hand on the top of Ferns head. The dog didnt go for me IMO it was after Fern. The scary part was just as I got one to back off another would come in. The dog that kept coming in from behind was the most "unpredicatable' that one really concerned me as the other two would fire up again.

It reminded me of one of those movies with five guys on one. Get rid of one and another comes in.

I am pretty strong and I pinned one down with my left foot by the neck, I have never booted anything in my life though I booted the large breed over and over again as hard as I could. Once the large dog backed off the third one backed off and I lifted my foot off the second one one.

Luckily I had my boots on incase of snakes, turns out snakes were the least of my worries!

I dont know the dogs and have never seen them before Dogmad. I have lived here 13 years and know most of the dogs around here. Occasionally you will have unknown dogs, though not very often.

The stupid thing is I am on acres and do most lead work up and down our long driveway. It was such a nice day I thought Fern and I would enjoy a walk. Never again :(

I reported it to the police and rangers the next day. I have let as many people on my street know as lots of people walk their dogs around here and there are quite a few little dogs walked with retired owners and families with children.

They wouldnt stand a chance.

First time I have ever been bitten by a dog. After temp testing god knows how many at HP in a stressful environment etc, etc I had to laugh. The nusres said to me did you cry Nic? I said no I swore and thought, now you have really p'd me off. All I was worried about was Fern, I hope she is ok with similar breeds and sizes of dogs. For now she has her own little pack who she adores. I will work on the next step shortly, might need some pro advice just to be sure. Fern did very well under the circumstances. She is a huge sook and stayed behind me. I hope and pray this experience does not have a marked effect upon her interaction with unknown dogs.

Christ Nic, that's terrible :mad Glad you and Fern are ok. We had to kick a dog that rushed us snarling and trying to get at our dogs the other day, luckily it buggered off.

Oh Aussie, be careful!

I am wondering what I could have had with me to be better prepared. I have heard of sprays etc though for the life of me can't remember what they were. Not that I will be walking anytime soon.

I would have used a fire hydrant on them then belted them with it empty if I could have!

I've known people who walk with big sticks. Ridiculous you should even have to though!

There is a guy with two Shepherds who walks further away from here with a big stick or rod. I dont know if that would have help me though? I could have used it a a bite stick I guess?

One dog would have been one thing, three, wow I have no words.

Just wanted to add, the three dogs were not bull breeds. Won't put up the breed combo (well my opinion of breed combo)

Mine were attacked by two large dogs a couple of years ago, when there is more than one and you are on your own it's scary. You can get between your dog and one, but when the other one (or two) comes around behind its hard. Still worry about it happening again every time I walk them. Hope your hand is OK.

Edited by Diva

Christ Nic, that's terrible :mad Glad you and Fern are ok. We had to kick a dog that rushed us snarling and trying to get at our dogs the other day, luckily it buggered off.

Oh Aussie, be careful!

I am wondering what I could have had with me to be better prepared. I have heard of sprays etc though for the life of me can't remember what they were. Not that I will be walking anytime soon.

I would have used a fire hydrant on them then belted them with it empty if I could have!

Bloody hell. So glad everyone is okay.

I think you may be thinking of citronella spray Nic. I've got a can that I bought from Justice's behaviourist but it will only stop a dog with low to mid-level aggression. If the other dog is intent on hurting yours it's unlikely to make any difference. :(

Thanks Snook. When I spoke with Rangers I asked them what I could take with me in the future. Sadly citronella does not do very much/nothing at all in a similar situation. Rangers do carry it with them, though if you are dealing with an aggressive dog, it is not much help. I won't be walking any time soon, thats for sure.

Edited by Nic.B

Pepper Spray? never used it, just asking, but if i and my dog were being rushed and it was serious, would have no hesitiation in using it, regardless of what it did to the other dog.

Has anyone ever heard of it being used on dogs? Does it work?

blah ... why bother when people can't take what is written without trying to add some interpretation?

Given that we are all interpreting your posts the same way, perhaps the issue is in the delivery rather than the interpretation.

"did their little fluffball yap and carry on toward the larger dog first or was it as portrayed, a completely unprovoked attack? Unfortunately we're never likely to know!"

Reading comprehension 101 - is the above question inferring that somehow the small dog MAY have been to blame for the attack because it 'yapped and carried on'? Yes, I do believe it is. End lesson.

Nic.B, what a terrifying experience for you and Fern, so lucky the two of you didn't receive worse injuries, not in any small way due to your selfless defense of your dog!