Family Pet Mauled To Death

pie

I meant to add with regard to the traumatised owners identifying the attacking dogs as possibly a staffy:

here is a photo of my lastest adopted dog who was described to be as a staffy cross.. I do not see staffy in him much if at all.

Just using this as an example and not as a criticism of the owners of the dog who was killed.

Helen

post-908-0-00783000-1360129812_thumb.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also find it offensive that people insinuate that dogs who are fluffy and may yap "get whats coming to them". That is a very nasty attitude and I can't see how people who think like that can call themselves dog lovers :mad

Poor Elfie and that poor child witnessing the horrific death of her beloved pet.

The owner of the dog that did the killing certainly does not appear to be a responsible dog owner in any way shape or form.

h

Or a responsible person full stop. Slinking away with his dog is not unlike the driver who flees a hit and run accident IMHO.

By the way your newly-adopted dog looks very sweet (but I don't see staffy either). :)

I honestly can't understand how the owner of the aggressive dog could see what his dog did and do the bolt. How could he ignore the screams of Elfie and her owners? How could he overlook blood on the sand and all over his dog? How could he not be heartbroken by what his dog did to another? If a dog in my care did that it would change my life forever and that dog would've been taken straight to the vet and euthanised. I could not excuse or justify that attack in any kind of way, nor could I ever make it up to Elfie's family. How does that man sleep at night?

This. A dog that attacks to kill is a danger to society and IMO should be euthanised. As for the owner of the attacking dog - I hope he does the right thing and comes forward. As Little Gifts said, how could one live with this on their conscience? The poor owners.....

RIP Elfie :heart::heart:

Witnessing your dog being mauled to death would be truly horrifying. Poor little dog, I hope it died quickly. I feel so sad for the family - I'm sure they are all traumatised from what they saw. :(

That dog should be put down.

Edited to add: if it was my dog, I'd put it down in a heartbeat - I would not trust that dog around anyone, including children.

Edited by poochmad

Witnessing your dog being mauled to death would be truly horrifying. Poor little dog, I hope it died quickly. I feel so sad for the family - I'm sure they are all traumatised from what they saw. :(

That dog should be put down.

Edited to add: if it was my dog, I'd put it down in a heartbeat - I would not trust that dog around anyone, including children.

There is no research that corolates dog aggression with human aggression. Indeed, there is research that suggests the two are rarely found together in the same dog.

This kind of thinking is what brought us BSL. :(

If I owned the attacking dog it would be euthed immediately. Having said that if I had a dog aggressive dog it would be managed do it couldn't escalate.

I have had one of mind taken out literally thrown nearly six feet after a large dog tboned him at speed then stood over him. Luckily it stopped there

He was in the middle of training for agility and was running at speed, looking at me. I guess some would say he asked for it as his speed and movement could have provoked predatory behaviour in the offending dog???? Yeh right!!!!!

I too wonder at a person would can leave a scene caused by their dog that leaves a severely distressed and injured dog with as equally distressed owners. What a sad reflection on today's society. I do wonder if the potential fines / jail time these days is a factor in that.

I don't think the whole big vs small dog debate is helping anyone.

Hopefully the owner of the offending dog is found and punished but I sincerely wish everybody kept their assumptions to themselves, that includes the article's breed guesses as well as "the small yap yap had it coming". Can we just agree that this was an unacceptable incident and that everybody needs to control their own dog(s), no matter the size?

]

There is no research that corolates dog aggression with human aggression. Indeed, there is research that suggests the two are rarely found together in the same dog.

This kind of thinking is what brought us BSL. :(

People often get hurt trying to save their dogs - redirected aggression doesn't often discriminate.

If the dog had high prey drive and it attacked a small, moving object then children could be at risk.

Either way, people should be able to take their well behaved dogs to the beach without them being disemboweled.

Ignorance has contributed to BSL, but owners like this moron have contributed to it as well. In spades.

"Either way, people should be able to take their well behaved dogs to the beach without them being disemboweled."

I completely agree.

This is the real issue here, not what breed the dog was, not if the attack was provoked. Some poor family took their dog out for a nice day at the beach and instead had to witness their beloved family pet die in the most horrific way. A dog that is known to be aggressive around other dogs and/or people has no place being off leash in a public place.

Idiots like the owner of the larger dog are the reason why I feel that I cannot ever take my dogs to a dog park. I know that they would love it, but there are just too many risks involved.

It's because of incidents like these that I stopped going to Hillarys Dog Beach several years ago. The number of dog attacks in Perth, both on other dogs and on people, seem to be increasing year by year - hardly surprising, as there seem to be more and more dog owners who either (a) don't give a rat's that their dog is aggressive and let it run loose anyway and/or (b) have NO control WHATSOEVER over their dog and can't (or won't) call the dog to them or attempt to catch it or prevent it harassing (or even attacking) another dog. Even worse, many of these people insist on walking several dogs at once, all off the lead and none of them under any sort of control. I now avoid most parks in our area like the plague, especially at certain times of the day, and after my old girl (and myself) were victims of a totally unprovoked attack by two Staffy/Mastiff Xs a couple of years back (she was on lead, walking with me along the footpath, these two dogs had been left roaming loose and unsupervised outside their house some distance away and attacked us from behind), I now will not hesitate to use ANY means necessary to protect myself and my dog.

My deepest sympathies to this poor family - what a tragic thing to happen and a horrific thing to witness.

An unprovoked attack is simply not acceptable no matter which way anyone wants to spin it - by ANY dog, large or small.

If the attacking dog had been mine, I would have been heading for the nearest vet clinic to have it euthed... and to be fair, we don't know with any certainty that is not what the owner of the large dog in the story did after leaving the scene.

T.

An unprovoked attack is simply not acceptable no matter which way anyone wants to spin it - by ANY dog, large or small.

If the attacking dog had been mine, I would have been heading for the nearest vet clinic to have it euthed... and to be fair, we don't know with any certainty that is not what the owner of the large dog in the story did after leaving the scene.

T.

that could be true, and we don't know otherwise but why in the world didn't he stop and have some interaction with the family of the victim. That would have been the humane thing to do. I personally think he just hightailed it.

How would any of us react if we saw our own dog do what the big dog did in that story? How much would it help to hang around with the offending dog and offer apologies?

I'm not excusing what the dog or the owner did as told in the story - but am offering a possible different theory as to what they may have done next.

T.

Presuming the owner of the big dog was shocked at what happened, and beside offering apologies he could have found out if the small dog's owners had a way of getting to the Vet (they might have been dropped at the beach or walked a distance to that spot), he could have also offered to pay for Vet bills.

Im guessing he hightailed it to avoid he or his dog getting in trouble.

Any decent person in that situation would have interacted with the victims of the attack to exchange contact details so that any vet bills could be directed to them, at the very least.

I highly doubt that he dashed off to euthanise his dog. :(