Canine Cooler Bed

tomo

I am a huge fan and really appreciated it for my older heat intolerant dog. It proved to be priceless for us. The vet was so impressed as it provided cushioning which would prevent any sores developing.Do it!! We bought the Canine Cooler bed 3 from Amazon but it looks the same. One thing to keep in mind is that it did not work during extreme temps as the water also heated up but this only happened on the days above 40.

I doubt a pup would use one ..honestly ...

a paddling pool, a patch of damp sand he is allowed to use, plenty of shade and air circulation .... :)

if it is very hot , and you need cooling for a few hours .. A 3 litre juice/water plastic bottle filled and frozen for 24 hrs , then wrapped snugly in one layer of towel or the sleeve of a woollen jumper , and tied in a pillowcase ..is a great puppy cooler :) Pup needs to learn what it is/does though .

Alternatively ..those large flat solid plastic esky cooler things are great , too. Make sure though ther eis just water in them ..and always wrap in something. They don't last all that long, but are cheap and re useable :)

Somebody I know here lost one of their dogs to the extreme heat wave we had last week in North Queensland. I'd be willing to look ay anything to help keep heat sensitive dogs cooler.

We used to get these in at work, some people loved them, some people were turned off by the fact if the dog chewed the insides it could make them sick.

Hi Tomo

I bought one of those water-filled ones years ago and spent $200 on it - only for my dogs to first refuse to go on it, and then a few days later the young one(though not a puppy) chewed a corner of it, flooding the carpet with 20L of water, and ruining the mat. I think I cried!

I have since bought the one Sheena talks about - and while my dog won't lie on it at home when she can go elsewhere, she will lie on it when she is in a crate - she sort of has no choice but she does not try and dig at it or push it away. I think it helps keep her cool.

Hi Tomo

I bought one of those water-filled ones years ago and spent $200 on it - only for my dogs to first refuse to go on it, and then a few days later the young one(though not a puppy) chewed a corner of it, flooding the carpet with 20L of water, and ruining the mat. I think I cried!

I have since bought the one Sheena talks about - and while my dog won't lie on it at home when she can go elsewhere, she will lie on it when she is in a crate - she sort of has no choice but she does not try and dig at it or push it away. I think it helps keep her cool.

I have tried it myself, & it really does stay cool. Not sure if I would trust it with a dog that might chew, but they look fairly tough for a normal dog. They say the gel is non toxic, but it could probably make a big mess :laugh: I think they would be great for crates.

Thanks everyone. Not so sure about the mats with water in them. As described by some can create a problem.

I ordered one of the Gel Mats. Cheapest price I could find was http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Cool-Pet-Gel-Mat-Dog-Cat-Non-Toxic-Cooling-Comfort-Bed-Pad-Sz-XXL-90-x-50cm-p193645.htm Be aware delivery won't occur until after Feb 20. I missed the small print there. Doh! If you want one sooner there are some on eBay for a similar price.