Breeders - Why & How Did You Start Out?

Schnooze

If you truly do believe that wanting to breed a champion gives someone instant credentials on breeding great dogs that's a far cry from reality.

If that's directed at me sorry but :laugh:

I never said anything about breeding champions.......I merely said it would be nice to know WHY the OP would want to breed.....for pets, sport, show whatever, I personally don't care but when they ask about others and don't give any info about themselves then someone will question them. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last that happens here.

I was just as curious as to why they would love to breed Staffords, what would be their goal? Surely there would be some reason WHY they would love to just breed?

Um - no it wasn't directed at you. Good grief I didn't even notice that you had said anything !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, breeding was a bit of a natural progression. I never set out thinking "I want to be a dog breeder". Five years ago my partner and I bought a pedigree Siberian Husky. I entered her in a few shows, we came last in our class at every one and soon realised she wasn't exactly show quality! So we desexed her, but I had already been bitten by the show bug. I had also fallen in love with another breed. I did some research and put an order in with a breeder then waited several months for a show quality male pup. I titled him, then desexed and pet homed him. I wasn't happy with his temperament. Meanwhile, I had been campaigning another male for my friend and mentor. In exchange, I was given the pick bitch puppy from a litter he'd sired. I showed her to her title and she became my foundation bitch, with my first litter being born in April last year. I found the experience to be expensive and time-consuming, but very rewarding - the pups who ended up in show homes have gone on to be All-Breeds and Specialty class in show winners and I found some really wonderful family homes for the pet puppies.

Im interested to find out from some breeders how they started out breeding and what made them decide to breed dogs?

Was it something your family was involved in?

Do you show or compete your dogs?

Do you breed as a business or is it just a hobby?

How did you select which studs and/or bitches to breed from?

Are your dogs just "breeders" or are they family members too?

I bred my one and only litter about 15 years ago so things were all a bit more simple then. :)

I purchased a very nice bitch and titled her in obedience. I didn't have much interest in showing, thought it was a bit poncy to be honest. I went to some club shows but preferred the obedience stuff.

I decided to have a litter purely for the experience! Sure that will freak some people out.

One reason I got an obedience title was because I didn't want to do showing and I wanted my girl to be worthy of breeding.

I called up the president (I think that is what she was at the time) of my breed club and enlisted her help. She picked a couple of male dogs that she thought would be suitable for my girl.

So I got help from the club and also help from the owner of the male dog. One of the pups was pre-ordered by another showie so more help there. No one made me feel like as a newbie I shouldn't be breeding. I was just offered support. It was lovely.

Unfortunately my girl had to have a c-section and that freaked me out a lot and I have never bred another litter. The puppies themselves were a wonderful experience though and I am proud of what I bred.

My dogs are firstly family members.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive also enjoyed reading people experiences so please contribute some more.

Im realtivley new to the show world and im continuously learning new things and its really given me many peoples persepectives. Ive recently been able to experience the breeding process with my show mentor and was by her side through welping, the emergency C-section, the loss of a puppy, the bottle feeding newborns, the staying awake solidly for nearly 36 hours before I had to leave. Breeding is definatly much harder and more tiring than I thought 12 months ago but I know eventually its what Id like to do to and have networked within my breed to get some great mentors to help me along the way.

Maybe one day in years to come ill be able to contribute to a similar thread to encourage and educate new people as some of you are.

I became involved with my breed when my sister in law bought her bitch up to Sydney to be mated. I had never seen a sheltie before and instantly fell in love with the breed. I was lucky to get a bitch puppy from her litter, was mentored by the sire of my puppy & started showing, joined the breed club both NSW & Vic, read any book I could get my hand on. I was very lucky and my girl turned out to be a lovely example of the breed. I also took on her brother who had a great show career too. My first litter was a nightmare experience, but as I have been told, stay in a breed long enough and you will encounter all. I only breed when I want something to continue showing and make sure temperament is up there with conformation. Will be 20 years in November when that first beautiful sheltie entered my life and I am sure they will be here for the next 20.