Guide Dog Dies In Hot Car

RidgieAmy

Guide dog dies in hot car

Phoebe Wearne The West Australian A two-year-old labrador retriever in the midst of a $30,000 training program to become a guide dog has died after an Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA senior staff member left it in a car for two hours on a day the temperature topped 36C.

The association confirmed the dog, named Colette, was "accidently left in the vehicle" on Friday afternoon after the male employee forgot she was there. It is understood he had returned to the association's offices in Victoria Park and was working inside when the dog died. As a guide dog in training, Colette would have lived with a puppy raiser, who would have got her used to various sights and sounds, and started basic training.

Association chief executive Clare Allen said Colette was found dead when the man returned to the car after about two hours. She said the distraught staff member was taken to a doctor for medical treatment and would continue to receive counselling. "This is a sad and isolated incident that does not reflect the longevity and quality of the guide dog program," Dr Allen said. She said the association operated under the highest standards, but its procedures regarding the transport of guide dogs in training would be reviewed to ensure such a tragic accident was not repeated. Dr Allen said the tragedy served as a reminder to pet owners to be vigilant when it came to the care of their pets in vehicles on hot days.

RSPCA WA chief executive David van Ooran said the organisation was seeking further details about the incident. "The RSPCA has made contact with the Association for the Blind WA and passes on their deepest sympathy during this tragic time," Mr van Ooran said. Puppies are assessed for their suitability as guide dogs through a 12 to 18-month puppy raising program. If a dog is seen to have potential, they receive five months of intensive training with an instructor and one month of training with their new owner. The association's website says it can cost about $30,000 to train a guide dog.

REALLY?!? forgot about it... so irresponsible! he may be devastated but how can someone forget about a dog in their car for two hours? don't know of anyone else posted about this i'm on my phone! Someone redirect me if i'm in the wrong area ;-)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Collette :cry:

I was never able to understand how people 'forgot' children or animals in the car until it happened to me one day. I left my son in the car for half an hour after I had been out, thankfully it wasn't hot but it really gave me an insight into how distracted you can become under certain circumstances.

I've left my dog in the car. It was about fifteen minutes and cold. Still the weather was purely luck. People lead busy lives, one thing leads to another and you forget things! It wasn't my finest moment. I agree that it's awful and my heart breaks thinking about the suffering that dog would have endured, but it was an accident through irresponsibility, the driver didn't beat the dog to death iykwim.

yeh i could understand if it was in a colder climate. but when i leave our dog in car i make sure he has water on floor and he only gets left maybe fifteen mins while i pop into shop. and considering his work is the dog it's not as of it wouldnt have come up in the office?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last post. I left my dog in the car as in, I forgot she was in there! I came inside from the school run, the phone rang and then I had a coffee. I just about died when I realised what I'd done. She was content and curled up asleep. It still shook me to the core though.

I dont take my dogs in the car when it's hot at all. I dont like to leave them for even two minutes to run in to a shop as you never know if you get held up somewhere etc.

I feel really sorry for this bloke. It is irresponsible for sure, but still just a horrible accident, IYKWIM.

RIP Collette :cry:

I was never able to understand how people 'forgot' children or animals in the car until it happened to me one day. I left my son in the car for half an hour after I had been out, thankfully it wasn't hot but it really gave me an insight into how distracted you can become under certain circumstances.

It can happen so easily, people have things on their minds and CAN just forget. I was with my mum one day we were driving to town to my sisters (20 Mins away) for some reason (i forget why now) we had to take two cars and Cooper went with mum and the other three came with me. I got to my sisters first and mum about 5 mins later. She came inside and we were just chatting and I looked out and expected Coop to be at the door with the others and I said to mum wheres Coop and she just turned and bolted outside, I knew she had forgotten about him.

It was stinking hot and he was fine, just sitting there waiting for someone to get him out. But mum was beside herself, she just beat herself up something shocking. I did not hold it against her, she had so much on her mind, she was caring for her dying husband and was under a lot of stress and added to the fact that Cooper is not demanding and has been taught if in the car he has to wait to be asked to get out instead of rushing out. Mum just got out and went inside not giving him another thought, also she was not used to having a dog in the car with her.

It can happen so easily. I can say i have never forgotten mine, kinda hard with 4. :laugh: Hate taking them in the car on really hot days anyway. We were just lucky that day that I am vigilant and always like to be able to see what my guys are up to especially if we are away from home. I do think however that after a time if Coop had been forgotten for longer he might have started to carry on and bark whine etc.

RIP beautiful Colette, what a dreadful way for her life to be ended. I feel for the person responsible as it would be very hard to live with.

This is beyond irresponsible. How can someone just forget that they had a dog n the car? The dog must have died a horrible death. This guy should be sacked.

Gee, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the staff member is undergoing counselling, I think he has suffered enough. He will most likely not be allowed to handle dogs in the near future, until can be found trusted again. For someone who is in that line of business, imagine how awful he'd feel?

From my perspective, it's a very sad, horrible and tragic event that as others have revealed can happen to the best of us. Not that we've ever left our dogs in the car, but once we accidently left our male Henschke out the fornt of the house. It wasn't until we heard banging on the front door that we discovered him. We felt awful, and it wasn't even a hot day.

Poor dog and poor staff member. :(

I think it's a bit different as his job is working with dogs, how could you forget there was a dog in the car if that was the whole reason you were driving it?

Don't get me wrong, I know it was an accident and I feel for the guy, but I feel more for the poor dog.

I can easily see how it can happen. I now take the dog lead off the dog and sit it in my lap while driving, so when i get out i remember.

Ive never done it, but has been close to it. I put her in the back and we go for a drive, as she settles down and sleeps and we drive for a few hours, i dont think about her again :o

Heartbreaking for the person who was in charge of the dog.. you would never forgive yourself :(

I think it's a bit different as his job is working with dogs, how could you forget there was a dog in the car if that was the whole reason you were driving it?

Don't get me wrong, I know it was an accident and I feel for the guy, but I feel more for the poor dog.

I kind of agree with that. Yes he must be distraught but if he can forget a dog that easily, it could happen again or another dog could be injured or killed through his lack of concentration.

This is beyond irresponsible. How can someone just forget that they had a dog n the car? The dog must have died a horrible death. This guy should be sacked.

Totally agree. I don't know how he just 'forgot' he worked with the dog! Doesn't make any sense.