Guide Dog Dies In Hot Car

RidgieAmy

RSA I believe he forgot that he actually had the dog in the car. As others have said, when you have a well behaved dog it can happen - you're worried about other things, dog sleeping nicely in the car and you forget that it is there.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this discussion fascinating....when a prison officer left a dog in a vehicle and it died posters had him strung up and quartered for his negligence....I don't see any difference...he should be charged with negligence and sacked......

Agree, poor dog and poor puppy raising family

Guest Maeby Fünke

Why was the dog left in the car in the first place? If Colette was a guide dog in training, surely he could've taken her inside with him?

This was such a horrible, but easily prevent tragedy. :(:cry:

This is the part that I don't understand...

I mean, is this guy a guide dog trainer? How can you forget that you're working with a guide dog?

How incredibly sad :(

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I arrived home one day and had my quietest, most well behaved dog in the car. I brought a whole lot of stuff inside and then just as i went to shut the front door, OH asked where she was. I had forgotten about her. :eek: She was in the car for an extra minute or so as a result but it made me realise how it can happen. I hope i would have remembered on my own when i saw the other dogs inside but who knows. Ever since then i am overly paranoid- probaby a good way to be.

A couple of years ago I read an article about young children who died after being forgotten and left in cars in hot conditions in the US. It was memorable because these weren't the cases of bad or negligent parents, up until the deaths they had been very diligent parents. But they had a catastrophic, inexplicable lapse of memory that killed their child and destroyed their own lives.

A typical example was someone on the way to drop their child at day care, then to work, child in a carrier or seat behind the driver. Someof the parents didn't realise they hadn't dropped the child off until they went pick them up again. Sometimes they suddenly realised during the day, but too late. Sometimes they were prosecuted for manslaughter but often the decision was made not to. Apparently such deaths occur 10 to 20 times a year.

I find in unimaginable to forget a child or dog in a car, but apparently it is something that people sometimes just do. Frightening.

RIP Colette :cry:

I rarely take my greys in the car in summer unless I have to and I have aircon. Regardless of the weather when my dogs are in the car they are first out. I don't care whats in the car, shopping etc, I pull up open the back and put them in the house then go back and get whatever is in the car, nothing is that important that the dogs have to wait.

The thing is though- if you've forgotten they're there it's not as though you're choosing to take the shopping in before getting teh dog out- you have forgotten, it doesn't enter your mind.

I'm not in any way suggesting it's okay- but i understand how it can happen.

Guest donatella

I actually can't understand how it can happen. If you remember to put the dog in your car, surely you remember to take the dog out at the other end.

Honestly I really cannot understand. Especially when people these days go to the effort of car devices such as car straps and seats etc. We go to all this effort to make sure they're safe for the journey IN the car, how on earth can you forget to get them out.

This is absolutely disgusting. I hope they got a huge fine. If this were a child he would be going to jail.

Not necessarily. Yes they would be charged if it was a child but there is nothing to say that they would go to gaol. Plenty of people have charged with manslaughter and not gone to gaol.

And I am pretty sure if the Guide Dog officer was found negligent, the judge would have the ability to send them to gaol, not that I have ever heard of anyone being sent to gaol for animal cruelty.

As I said, as we don't know the whole story we can't really judge.

So many variables and what ifs here...

if the dog was with puppy walkers ..the employee may not have been training it ..... but may have been asked to pick the dog up, perhaps .... and then forgot she was on board?Do we know what type of vehicle it was? If it was a van/wagon , fitted out .. a dog could be invisible if lying down quietly ..so no memory jog :(

being a senior staff member, maybe he had an urgent call/meeting ...dashed inside and then got overwhelemd with stuff?

WE don't know ...

Poor Dog - an awful death ..and I have sympathy for the employee ...who may well resign or suffer illness after the incident.

It can and does happen that dogs are forgotten ...

My friends dog passed away after she left her in the car. She was hurrying, and had forgotten she had taken her with her that morning. her dog was asleep in the car, and she parked up, got on with what she needed to do, and forgot she had decided to take the dog that morning. She was almost broken by it. It severly impacted on her, and she will NEVER forgive herself. She was, and is one of the most amazingly kind, wonderful dog owners I know. She had a momentary lapse in memory and paid dearly for it. This wasn't a person who left their dog in the car because they couldn't be arsed getting her out. It happens a lot, with pets and with babies.

These people do not mean to leave their dogs in the car, they actually don't know that they have done. It's VERY easily done.My heart goes out to anyone who this has happened to.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding in which way this man forgot his dog was in the car. I'm only speculating but given the information available, I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying that it wasn't that he knew the dog was there and made a conscious decision to leave her in the car for any reason.. he actually forgot she was in the car at all. It has tragically occurred with peoples babies and toddlers.. 'forgotten baby syndrome' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2113440/Forgotten-baby-syndrome-It-unthinkable--accidentally-leaving-baby-hours-lots-busy-parents-devastating-consequences.html#axzz2KBvIToaR

Poor dog and poor Guide dogs WA worker.. he would be heartbroken.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding in which way this man forgot his dog was in the car. I'm only speculating but given the information available, I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying that it wasn't that he knew the dog was there and made a conscious decision to leave her in the car for any reason.. he actually forgot she was in the car at all. It has tragically occurred with peoples babies and toddlers.. 'forgotten baby syndrome' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2113440/Forgotten-baby-syndrome-It-unthinkable--accidentally-leaving-baby-hours-lots-busy-parents-devastating-consequences.html#axzz2KBvIToaR

Poor dog and poor Guide dogs WA worker.. he would be heartbroken.

Ohhh, right... Thanks for explaining. Yes, poor worker :(

This is beyond irresponsible. How can someone just forget that they had a dog n the car? The dog must have died a horrible death. This guy should be sacked.

Gee, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the staff member is undergoing counselling, I think he has suffered enough. He will most likely not be allowed to handle dogs in the near future, until can be found trusted again. For someone who is in that line of business, imagine how awful he'd feel

no, not harsh at all. Totally reasonable. A child care worker who lets a child die due to negligence will not be allowed to work with children again.

However bad he might feel, it can't be worse than what the dog went through.

I really feel for the family that raised the dog as well.

Having raised 2 for guide dogs NSW it is so hard to part with them and the only way I can do it is to be thinking at least I am getting to say goodbye to a dog which still has the rest of a happy life ahead of it. I would be devastated to find out it died to soon and under those circumstances.

Whilst I have never forgotten about my dogs I have forgotten other important things before when plans have been changed in a hurry, a distraction or emergency has come up etc. I think this guy will be beating himself up enough as it is, what would gaol time achieve?

In reality I think he would already be one of the people most likely to never ever leave a dog in a car again after this as he will probably be paranoid... If he ever even gets in a car with a dog again.