Guide Dog Dies In Hot Car

RidgieAmy

This is beyond irresponsible. How can someone just forget that they had a dog n the car? The dog must have died a horrible death. This guy should be sacked.

Gee, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the staff member is undergoing counselling, I think he has suffered enough. He will most likely not be allowed to handle dogs in the near future, until can be found trusted again. For someone who is in that line of business, imagine how awful he'd feel

no, not harsh at all. Totally reasonable. A child care worker who lets a child die due to negligence will not be allowed to work with children again.

However bad he might feel, it can't be worse than what the dog went through.

Totally agree :cry: Shocking pure and simple and I hope this guy loses his job and is NEVER allowed to ever work with guide dogs or any dogs for that matter, ever again :mad . He had a duty of care to this dog and he failed in the worst possible way and that poor beautiful dog lost it's life in the most tragic way and I fail to understand how he forgot about this dog, particularly in light of this part of the story:

It is understood he had returned to the association's offices in Victoria Park and was working inside when the dog died

He was working at the association's offices, it wasn't like he had driven home or elsewhere and forgot the dog was in the car, he was actually at work, how can he have forgotten he had the poor dog in the car :mad . Completely unforgivable and whatever happens to him will be nothing compared to what happened to this poor dog :cry: Such a tragedy that a beautiful guide dog who had so much to offer could lose its life in such horrendous circumstances due to the negligence of the person who was entrusted with it's care. Service dog handlers/carers must be held more accountable for the dogs entrusted in their care, as these dogs are special dogs and it is their responsibility to ensure the dog's safety at all times, that is part of their job.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding in which way this man forgot his dog was in the car. I'm only speculating but given the information available, I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying that it wasn't that he knew the dog was there and made a conscious decision to leave her in the car for any reason.. he actually forgot she was in the car at all. It has tragically occurred with peoples babies and toddlers.. 'forgotten baby syndrome' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2113440/Forgotten-baby-syndrome-It-unthinkable--accidentally-leaving-baby-hours-lots-busy-parents-devastating-consequences.html#axzz2KBvIToaR

Poor dog and poor Guide dogs WA worker.. he would be heartbroken.

Ohhh, right... Thanks for explaining. Yes, poor worker :(

That is the same phenomenon I posted about in the second page of this thread.

Memory just isn't the reliable mechanism we think it is. After all of these incidents people say it's unforgivable etc, and sometimes it is negligence. But sometimes it is just normal human fallibility.

Edited by Diva

For all the people who are painting this guy as a murderer.....have you never had a lapse of memory? Never forgotten something....ever thought "Oh, is the dog outside or inside?" even for a split second??? Ever misplaced your keys??? Or are you all perfect??? You have no control over these memory lapses, it's not a conscious decision. and before someone starets nitpicking over the fact that a bunch of jeys is different to a dog, yes, I'm aware of that, butt he part of the brain that remembers them is the same....

I'm not denying the dog went through a horrible death, and I'm sure the poor bloke will think about it every day for the rest of his life....he required counselling for heavens sake!!!!!

My sympathy lies with BOTH the dog AND the employee.

Guest donatella

When its life and death you cannot have a lapse of memory, sorry but you need to be on the ball.

If this was a nurse who had a lapse of memory on the job and 'accidentally' killed someone (actually happens a lot because there is so much room for error unfortunately noone can be perfect), would you still be "oh its okay, she was just having a bad day/lapse of memory, it does happen"

really??

When its life and death you cannot have a lapse of memory, sorry but you need to be on the ball.

If this was a nurse who had a lapse of memory on the job and 'accidentally' killed someone (actually happens a lot because there is so much room for error unfortunately noone can be perfect), would you still be "oh its okay, she was just having a bad day/lapse of memory, it does happen"

really??

It think maybe the problem comes down to how the memory actually works, how the brain works and how we get distracted by what we are concentrating on.

Like many people driving to work is almost automatic for me, the route is somehow stored in a part of the brain that is automatic. A couple of times I have been going somewhere else, but have been thinking hard about something and ended up taking the turn to work automatically, I think maybe it is that kind of thing.

Work places tend to have systems in place, work processes that make sure that kind of forgetting is mitigated against. Maybe that was what was missing here. Or maybe it was negligence, I cant tell. I am not saying its OK and maybe he shouldn't have this kind of job - but if it is unforgivable, the state of being human is unforgivable.

Nurses and doctors do forget, the statistics on morbidity in hospitals tell that story, but there is much more attention given to human falibility in designing hospital procedures to account for that. I think the way military personnel are trained also pays good attention to making sure crucial processes are resistant to forgetting. I think these kind risks are known about and managed in a lot of circumstances.

Edited by Diva

really??

But it's not is it??? This man did not intentionally kill the dog. As you are a nurse, i would expect you to have some compassion for a fellow human being who is suffering. He made a terrible mistake.

For all the people who are painting this guy as a murderer.....have you never had a lapse of memory? Never forgotten something....ever thought "Oh, is the dog outside or inside?" even for a split second??? Ever misplaced your keys??? Or are you all perfect??? You have no control over these memory lapses, it's not a conscious decision. and before someone starets nitpicking over the fact that a bunch of jeys is different to a dog, yes, I'm aware of that, butt he part of the brain that remembers them is the same....

I'm not denying the dog went through a horrible death, and I'm sure the poor bloke will think about it every day for the rest of his life....he required counselling for heavens sake!!!!!

My sympathy only lies with the poor dog who lost its life in the most horrendous way :cry: Your statement "he required counselling for heavens sake!!!!! I will match with "his negligence killed that poor dog for heavens sake!!!!"

He is in a profession where memory lapses are not acceptable and can be deadly, just like other professions and that is why only certain people can be employed in those professions.

This poor dog died a horrible death due to this guy's negligence and he should have to think about it every day of his life, at least he still has a life, the poor dog doesn't. :mad

Guest donatella

No but he was on the job and his job is guide dogs therefore his mind should have been on the job.

What I do 40 hours a week isn't relative to this conversation. I have plenty of empathy AT WORK. I am not at work at present, I am free to have my own thoughts and opinions outside of work. The 'you are a nurse and must be a saint 24/7' argument is old and boring and ridiculous. I have loads of empathy for the dog that literally burned to death in a hot car because of someone who couldn't carry through their work duties. That is where my empathy lies in this situation thank you very much.

Guest donatella

My sympathy only lies with the poor dog who lost its life in the most horrendous way :cry: Your statement "he required counselling for heavens sake!!!!! I will match with "his negligence killed that poor dog for heavens sake!!!!"

He is in a profession where memory lapses are not acceptable and can be deadly, just like other professions and that is why only certain people can be employed in those professions.

This poor dog died a horrible death due to this guy's negligence and he should have to think about it every day of his life, at least he still has a life, the poor dog doesn't. :mad

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There are some comments on here that have me thinking you have lost sight of reality, or exist in a world where you are perfect,and never make errors of judgement. I only hope you are never in a situation where you require the sympthy and compassion of a fellow human being, because clearly you will not get it from here.

It's no wonder animal people are painted as being nutters....

Guest donatella

Animals rely on us for food, shelter and water, its just devastating that one lost its life (and such a valuable life at that being a guide dog) because someone had a lapse of memory. That's a pretty big mistake to make. Hell I feel pretty bad if I forget to feed them dinner one night!

I can understand coming in for 5 minutes and going "$hit the dog" and going out, but forgetting until it dies, that is HUGE!

There are some comments on here that have me thinking you have lost sight of reality, or exist in a world where you are perfect,and never make errors of judgement. I only hope you are never in a situation where you require the sympthy and compassion of a fellow human being, because clearly you will not get it from here.

It's no wonder animal people are painted as being nutters....

Hmmmm nutters because we care that this beautiful poor dog lost its life due to the negligence of its carer - well then happy to be called a nutter. :D I am sick of bleeding hearts that think we all need to have sympathy and compassion for our fellow human beings that fail miserably and cause the suffering and horrible death of either animals or humans. How about people being made to be accountable for some of their stupid decisions that cause preventable pain and suffering, instead of trying to excuse them. :mad

RIP sweet Colette, I am so sorry that you were let down in the worst possible way and lost your wonderful life and great potential in such tragic circumstances :cry::rainbowbridge:

I just read that piece about forgotten baby syndrome, just so heartbreaking for all the families involved and to think it can happen to anyone. As one woman said she had heard of it happening and thought there was no way that would ever happen to her and it did. :cry:

This is an interesting thread to read, in a perfect world none of these horrendous things would happen.

Pity we don't live in a perfect world.

"Nutter" because of the lack of compassion for the suffering of a fellow human. Ever heard of the saying "There but for the grace of God go I???" I hope those who are baying for this blokes blood can take the judgement if they ever make a mistake.

My friend who forgot her dog in the car??? She pays for it every day of her life, and she LOVED that dog, truly loved her. I saw her suffering, and i wouldn't wish that pain on another person....she fully understands the suffering her dog went through, which compounds her guilt.

See Donatella, you just admitted you have forgotten to feed your dogs dinner...when they are in the same house....what if that had been a patient you had forgotten to give life-saving medication too??? (and yes, I'm using your very own logic here...or does that only apply to other people and not yourself?)

The probablity of this type of accident occurring in a dog centred industry would be what? High, Low.

There would be a high probablity.

The guy was working for the "Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA" and very possibly gave his time and energy above and beyond expectation quite regularly. It is a bit harsh then to show a lack of comprehension or empathy in a tragic accident of this nature.

Dogs deaths are the worst type of accident but they are not uncommon even among professionals.

Would you like a list? I could start with my ex-Vet, a certain dog grooming saloon, My Local Dog Ranger who I won't name at this time, a well known animal protection agency, one of the Canine Control Councils, do I need to go on?

Willow my heart goes out to your friend, what a horrible thing to have to endure for the rest of her life.

Purely and simply accidents happen and that's what this was he didn't mean to leave the dog in the car, he didn't do it on purpose so it was an accident.

I guess I could understand the hate in this thread if he had left the dog in the car deliberately like many do, I see it all the time, but he didn't do it on purpose!

Edited by tlc

Guest donatella

"Nutter" because of the lack of compassion for the suffering of a fellow human. Ever heard of the saying "There but for the grace of God go I???" I hope those who are baying for this blokes blood can take the judgement if they ever make a mistake.

My friend who forgot her dog in the car??? She pays for it every day of her life, and she LOVED that dog, truly loved her. I saw her suffering, and i wouldn't wish that pain on another person....she fully understands the suffering her dog went through, which compounds her guilt.

See Donatella, you just admitted you have forgotten to feed your dogs dinner...when they are in the same house....what if that had been a patient you had forgotten to give life-saving medication too??? (and yes, I'm using your very own logic here...or does that only apply to other people and not yourself?)

I've never forgotten to feed them dinner, I said I feel pretty bad if I forgot to feed them dinner, not if I 'forget' to feed them dinner. :angel::happydance:

If I forget my patients life saving medications and my patient suffers or dies I am in BIG BIG trouble.

Edited by donatella

Every day, in every profession and walk of life, human beings make mistakes and errors of judgement. Sometimes they are very lucky and there is no consequence, other times a tiny error has catastrophic consequences, that they have to live with forever.

These are not evil people....these people are our friends, our family, our neighbours, our children, and even ourselves. Not evil people. Not monsters. Normal, everyday people going about their normal everyday lives, when a split second of poor judgement or memory lapse tears their world apart.

They will always have my compassion, and so will all the people who are affected by the event.

I've never forgotten to feed them dinner, I said I feel pretty bad if I forgot to feed them dinner, not if I 'forget' to feed them dinner. :angel::happydance:

Thus implying you forgot to feed them...whoops no, of course not, YOU are perfect...lucky you, what a lovely view you must have from your ivory tower! " Feel pretty bad if I forget" not "I would feel bad if I had forgotten"..... :)

The probablity of this type of accident occurring in a dog centred industry would be what? High, Low.

There would be a high probablity.

The guy was working for the "Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA" and very possibly gave his time and energy above and beyond expectation quite regularly. It is a bit harsh then to show a lack of comprehension or empathy in a tragic accident of this nature.

Dogs deaths are the worst type of accident but they are not uncommon even among professionals.

Would you like a list? I could start with my ex-Vet, a certain dog grooming saloon, My Local Dog Ranger who I won't name at this time, a well known animal protection agency, one of the Canine Control Councils, do I need to go on?

I would expect a higher standard of care in a "dog centred industry". Look at the outrage (and rightly so) expressed in thread at the terrible death of poor Buddy at the grooming salon due to the negligence of the grooming salon. Yet here in this thread, there appears to be more sympathy for the carer than the poor dog. :mad