Guide Dog Dies In Hot Car

RidgieAmy

I agree. If you are that useless in caring for a living being then put your hand up and say don't let me near a dog it's not high on my priority list. Especially in WA of all places where the weather for dogs in cars at any time unattended is pretty much unacceptable. You 'forgot' is a piss poor excuse in killing a dog. I don't care how busy, dead tired or preoccupied you are, if you're 'too busy' to not kill a dog with negligence you shouldn't be anywhere near them.

I would sack him too. This isn't a misplaced memo, this is a living being he neglected as well as setting the organisation back both in time and financially.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially in WA of all places where the weather for dogs in cars at any time unattended is pretty much unacceptable.

Yes, this is a harsh climate, especially in Summer. It's going to be over 40 degrees tomorrow. Truly, the baking heat can be intense and I don't know how anyone could forget a dog and leave it in a car here. :confused:

What I find interesting in the forgotten baby cases is that the parents are frequently not prosecuted, and when they are they frequently acquitted.

It seems when the full facts are considered, the courts often decide it is a genuine accident. Even in the face of baying for revenge by some. There but for the Grace of God.

Donatella, does your apology extend to calling me a troll?

Thank goodness for our justice system, while not perfect some people (as shown in this thread) would hang people on a sniff that they did something wrong. Judge, jury and executioner!

And as for making the comparison to nurses making error, who wouldn't have sympathy for a nurse who made an error that cost someone their life. Probably harder on themselves than anybody could be.

Hmmmm our justice system, what a joke that is. Perpetrators of the crimes seems to have more rights and decisions/viewpoints going in their favour than the poor victims. :o Lack of accountability and every excuse under the sun being trotted out to defend the perpetrators actions :mad . How about standing up for the victims more, screaming out for justice for THEM instead!! This innocent victim doesn't have a voice, she doesn't have a life anymore, thanks to the negligence of her carer. :cry: I for one will not stand idly by and try and excuse this person's negligence by blaming it on some form of memory lapse/forgetfulness :( .

Lets not forget this poor dog DIED in the most HORRIBLE of circumstances :cry: This dog was going to provide a very valuable service and be the eyes for a poor blind/seeing impaired person.

Ok, so what would you like to happen to the guy who has probably spent a lot of time helping blind people?

And instead not standing idly by, what are you going to do?

At the very least this person should lose their job and should not be allowed to ever work with dogs as he cannot be trusted to fulfill his duty of care to them :( . I have been a longtime supporter of guide dogs and will be rethinking this support if this person does not lose their job/role over this incident and if appropriate measures are not taken to prevent a similar situation from happening. I will be doing what I can to find out more about this incident and am seriously contemplating a social media campaign to draw attention to this incident and other similar incidents in an effort to bring some focus on the plight of service dogs losing their lives due to the their handlers negligence/failing to fulfil their duty of care :mad

What are you serious!

If you calm down and relax then we should all be able to see that the fault is actually due to the type of transport.

Quite clearly, a regulation needs to be introduced for the procurement and utilisation of special transport vehicles so that this type of tragedy cannot occur again.

Quite clearly, a regulation needs to be introduced for the procurement and utilisation of special transport vehicles so that this type of tragedy cannot occur again.

No it's quite simple.

If you're not in the car, neither is the dog. If you have to transport a dog then you do nothing else until that dog is safely in it's kennel or run. Common sense, you don't need a special vehicle at all you just need people with half a brain.

Imagine if that was your own dog that you have entrusted someone to transport. Would you go on with your life if they just said sorry, I forgot your dog was there I was too busy. They would be in traction if that was one of mine.

Edited by Nekhbet

So now it was the cars fault?

We really do live in a society that can't accept responsibility can we? You're fat, it must be the junk food companies fault. Kids take all their illicit drugs in lines of festivals and OD, it must be because there's dog handlers there that frighten them. An idiot forgets a living being in a car in the heat, it must be because the car isn't air conditioned.

We need to grow up. It's entirely that staff members fault, no one elses.

How disgraceful. This frightful person should lose his job.

How irresponsible is it to leave a dog in a car for 2 hours?

I imagine the suffering of that poor dog as her organs shut down due to dehydration, and I think maybe that man should be flogged as well as losing her job.

The point is, if you are not responsible enough, don't have a pet, and certainly don't work with animals.

How on earth could someone "forget" the baby was in the bath? Or in the pool? How could you forget the dog was in the car?

It should be in your forebrain. And yes, you might overlook it for a moment or two, or not realise if the dogs had jumped in without your knowing, but to leave a dog in a car for TWO HOURS defies belief.

And I often wonder if those poor babies and children who drown really died by accident.

Well I am shocked and stunned by your view Jed.

Have you not considered that the Guide Dog Association has failed to consider all possible contingencies and staken the necessary steps to protect, firstly the dogs, and secondly its employees.

I'm afraid the buck stops with the CEO of the Guide Dogs Association of WA.

But I don't think Heads need to roll.

This is a fortuitous tradgedy is some respects in that it should serve to prevent other dogs facing the same fate.

What I find interesting in the forgotten baby cases is that the parents are frequently not prosecuted, and when they are they frequently acquitted.

It seems when the full facts are considered, the courts often decide it is a genuine accident. Even in the face of baying for revenge by some. There but for the Grace of God.

Donatella, does your apology extend to calling me a troll?

Thank goodness for our justice system, while not perfect some people (as shown in this thread) would hang people on a sniff that they did something wrong. Judge, jury and executioner!

And as for making the comparison to nurses making error, who wouldn't have sympathy for a nurse who made an error that cost someone their life. Probably harder on themselves than anybody could be.

Hmmmm our justice system, what a joke that is. Perpetrators of the crimes seems to have more rights and decisions/viewpoints going in their favour than the poor victims. :o Lack of accountability and every excuse under the sun being trotted out to defend the perpetrators actions :mad . How about standing up for the victims more, screaming out for justice for THEM instead!! This innocent victim doesn't have a voice, she doesn't have a life anymore, thanks to the negligence of her carer. :cry: I for one will not stand idly by and try and excuse this person's negligence by blaming it on some form of memory lapse/forgetfulness :( .

Lets not forget this poor dog DIED in the most HORRIBLE of circumstances :cry: This dog was going to provide a very valuable service and be the eyes for a poor blind/seeing impaired person.

Ok, so what would you like to happen to the guy who has probably spent a lot of time helping blind people?

And instead not standing idly by, what are you going to do?

At the very least this person should lose their job and should not be allowed to ever work with dogs as he cannot be trusted to fulfill his duty of care to them :( . I have been a longtime supporter of guide dogs and will be rethinking this support if this person does not lose their job/role over this incident and if appropriate measures are not taken to prevent a similar situation from happening. I will be doing what I can to find out more about this incident and am seriously contemplating a social media campaign to draw attention to this incident and other similar incidents in an effort to bring some focus on the plight of service dogs losing their lives due to the their handlers negligence/failing to fulfil their duty of care :mad

What are you serious!

If you calm down and relax then we should all be able to see that the fault is actually due to the type of transport.

Are you serious - you think a different vehicle would have protected this dog from this person's negligence :mad this person's negligence killed this poor dog, he left the dog in the car in extremely hot conditions, the dog died a terrible and painful death. :cry: This person needs to be held accountable, this person needs to lose their job and the Guide Dog Association needs to have much more rigorous procedures for the safe transporting of their dogs and hiring more responsible people to take care of these special dogs. So no I don't plan on calming down anytime soon over this senseless, cruel and totally preventable death of a valuable guide dog. :cry:

You can have all the contingency plans you want on paper, if you hire people with such blatant disregard you might as well wallpaper the dogs kennels with them.

He stuffed up big time, out.

Totally agree, no second chances, a dog lost its life in a truly horrific way :mad . I wish people would stop making excuses for this guy's negligence. :mad

Tralee

Well I am shocked and stunned by your view Jed.

Oops!! Oh no; not shocked AND stunned

How would you feel about hanging, drawing and quartering the employee? And maybe a little torture for the CEO as well?

And of course, that damned and possessed car must be sent to the wreckers, after a good dousing with holy water.

The thing is though- if you've forgotten they're there it's not as though you're choosing to take the shopping in before getting teh dog out- you have forgotten, it doesn't enter your mind.

I'm not in any way suggesting it's okay- but i understand how it can happen.

Yep and can I say, after knowing how integral your dogs are to your life, that if you can do it, anyone can!

There are some comments on here that have me thinking you have lost sight of reality, or exist in a world where you are perfect,and never make errors of judgement. I only hope you are never in a situation where you require the sympthy and compassion of a fellow human being, because clearly you will not get it from here.

It's no wonder animal people are painted as being nutters....

Yep

So now it was the cars fault?

We really do live in a society that can't accept responsibility can we? You're fat, it must be the junk food companies fault. Kids take all their illicit drugs in lines of festivals and OD, it must be because there's dog handlers there that frighten them. An idiot forgets a living being in a car in the heat, it must be because the car isn't air conditioned.

We need to grow up. It's entirely that staff members fault, no one elses.

Unless I've missed posts, no-one is saying that it wasn't the staff member's fault that poor Collette died, rather that we can see how it could happen to good people. In my experience people who forget things like this are busy, busy people with too much on their minds. They get in their car with one thing on their mind but, as some people do, they move from that thing to something else. I've driven 50km without my son in the car when I was supposed to be dropping him to someone's house. He was safe, I didn't just leave him somewhere by accident BUT I did forget that only 30 minutes earlier I'd arranged for him to have a sleepover. Good on you all if you only have one thing to worry about at a time.

I have a lot on my mind also, however my dogs take priority and I can say with certainty I will never leave them in the car on a hot day until they die.

ETA:I do feel for the guy, I'm sure he's shattered, but he still needs to be sacked.

Edited by Aussie3

What about if it was a child in the car not a dog? Would it still be an accident or neglect? Is it okay just because its a dog to be an accident? If it were a child this would be a different story.

Yes it would be a different story due to dogs not being the same as children. I just don't get the comparison between kids and dogs all the time, of course it's a different story!

No, it's not a different story. If you could forgive and empathise with a person who left your child to die this way, then come back and say that people should not be blaming this person.

I don't know how much you care for your dogs. But my dogs are like any other family member to me.

I would have, and have had, the same sympathy for people who have lost their children in this manner because I know how easily I've forgotten things before.

I saw one story where normally the mum took the child to daycare but, for some out of the ordinary reason, dad had to take child to daycare (or vice versa). The parent who had the child started on their long, peak-hour drive to work, child was very quiet (presumably asleep). They completely forgot about daycare and simply went to work, parked the car, got out and went to walk just as they did every day. Child died. Devastatingly sad but I ALL I felt at the time was sympathy for those parents who would blame themselves for the rest of their lives for the death of their adored baby.

A few years ago at my nieces school a woman left her baby in the car, forgot to drop her in at daycare and when she went to pick up her other child from school the girl found her sister dead in the car :( Such tragedy is unfathomable and hard to understand, but it can and does happen, and I seriously doubt the mother was charged as it was obvious to all that it was a terrible and devastating mistake to make.

It is hard to know how to deal with these things, add more procedures, regulations and people whinge about the nanny governance and overprotection.

My mum worked in day care for many many years, so many regulations, tvs must have all cords inaccessible to kids, no glass below a certain height unless it's special safety glass, no ledges for kids to climb on and jump off. Each of these rules came in because somewhere a child died for the lack of it. Who is to say what the value of a life is?

Personally I will take nanny governance and overregulation if it helps to save a life, I think it is good that the procedures are being reviewed, in an industry where moving animals is a significant part then yes the company responsible needs to have procedures in place to ensure that the whereabouts of all animals are known at all times, a simple logging system to check dogs in and out of premises would assist I would think.

The thing is though- if you've forgotten they're there it's not as though you're choosing to take the shopping in before getting teh dog out- you have forgotten, it doesn't enter your mind.

I'm not in any way suggesting it's okay- but i understand how it can happen.

I know you are not suggesting it's ok BUT how do you forget your dogs are in the car? My dogs are the last thing in the car and the first out. Mind you two greyhounds in the back of a 2 door Getz is pretty obvious. I'm not having at go at you Cosmolo but I cannot understand how that happens.

What about if it was a child in the car not a dog? Would it still be an accident or neglect? Is it okay just because its a dog to be an accident? If it were a child this would be a different story.

Yes it would be a different story due to dogs not being the same as children. I just don't get the comparison between kids and dogs all the time, of course it's a different story!

No, it's not a different story. If you could forgive and empathise with a person who left your child to die this way, then come back and say that people should not be blaming this person.

I don't know how much you care for your dogs. But my dogs are like any other family member to me.

My dogs are my family too but I don't think they are furry children. There is no comparison and as much as I love them if it came down to choosing between the dogs and the kids the kids would win hands down.

But please point out where I said this guy wasn't to blame? I was commenting on the post claiming the treatment of dogs should be the same as treatment of children. Of course he is to blame, he left the dog in the car :confused:

My dogs are my family too but I don't think they are furry children. There is no comparison and as much as I love them if it came down to choosing between the dogs and the kids the kids would win hands down.

But please point out where I said this guy wasn't to blame? I was commenting on the post claiming the treatment of dogs should be the same as treatment of children. Of course he is to blame, he left the dog in the car :confused:

That's fine for you. I have no children so my dogs are my family, each to their own. I can't compare so the dogs win hands down :shrug: