New Dog From Breeder.. Something Not Right......

mel121

It is unfortunate the breeder is not responding to your correspondence and this does make it hard.

In placing older dogs I would always work on a two week trial basis. For both parties! I think 2 weeks is long enough for the dog to have at least shown signs of adjusting. I would definitely be sending the dog back, it has been sent to you as being something it clearly is not and you should not have to put in extra work, time and money to maybe never achieve what you wanted and asked for.

I would continue to try and contact the breeder, can you check the details either online, website, perhaps contact the canine controlling body in the relevent state to check details etc? If they are correct then try ringing at what we would usually consider unacceptable times, ie later or earlier than we like to get calls. Do you have a home number or only a mobile? Can you look up a home number if you don't have it?

Good luck.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it more time. Try some Tranquil Paste (get it from a fodder store or dog supply shop) it may help a little.

Good advice. I adopted a little p/b dog, 6 yrs old, from a breeder after illness required the rehoming of her dogs. This one had been her top show girl.... & was also dearly loved with access to family life.

She was flown up to me in Brisbane .... & was absolutely frantic with distress. Well, she had been 'torn away' from her well established & happy life. This distress went on for a few weeks .... then she gradually eased into another good life here. She just needed to learn that... and I needed to have patience to let her do it.

Then, she 'returned' to her true unstressed personality. Lovely little dog, with loads of social confidence, and she shone with happiness. You would never know it was the same dog.

Similar with the 3 yr old p/b girl that our neighbours adopted from a breeder. Where she also had a lovely life as part of the family. So it was again, a real wrench to be suddenly separated from it. She was terrified. She spent a lot of time, staying at the back of her soft crate. When my little dogs popped their heads in to encourage her to come play, she growled. She wanted nothing to do with all these people & dogs that were not her people & dogs. Time and patience again .... then within few months she adored her new 'mum' & had 'dad' wrapped around her paw. Our little dogs had become her very best friends. She'd learned that her new home, family & friends were OK, in her opinion!!

Even then we thought she might go back to being terrified when she had to go to the vet (a woman). To everyone's surprise, she was fine. Totally accepted the vet.

In both cases, a good everyday routine was set in motion, lots of treats for any second where they were calm .... & doing nothing to reinforce the distressed behaviour. We remained calm, too.

I have a list of strategies given us at that time, for how to foster confidence in a frightened, shy dog. Let me know if you'd like them.

Edited by mita

Its easy to say return the dog but what if the mode of transport is what caused the trauma in the first place. Did this dog travel by plane? Many dogs cannot handle the stress - especially if it had never been off the "farm". It would be terrible to subject the poor dog to a return trip. Perhaps a few more weeks to give the dog a chance would be helpful - or the breeder should arrange a local re-homing or rescue.

You poor thing....sounds suss to me that they are not making contact or avoiding your calls. Could not have been too much part of the family for 5yrs if they are avoiding you... :shrug:

If I was the breeder that recommended her to you I would want to know about it.

Good Luck

By the way, in the cases I experienced, I would've been surprised if there hadn't been distress or fear after little dogs had been taken out of already well-established lives. And in our girl's case to have her first experience of flight in the cargo hold of a plane. It's mighty noisy down there. Then to land into a home/yard with no familiar smells, sights or sounds. I sent a message to the breeder saying the little one had arrived safely ... & we'd concentrate on the settling in (as I described before). I already expected it'd take a few weeks. We've always adopted adult ex-showdogs (who've come from the south).

This is my experience & my position only. The OP has to do whatever she considers best in her own particular circumstances. I have no evidence about the actual life her new dog lived before, nor the temperament under unstressed conditions. I also had a breeder I likely could communicate with, if it'd been necessary.

I hope whatever happens it turns out well for the dog.

Edited by mita

I really hope the breeder isn't doing the dodgy on you.

We purchased a 10 month old Samoyed from a well known interstate breeder a couple of years ago, within a couple days of arriving I knew something was wrong with him. Fast forward a week later he was put under a GA and turned out he had such severe hip dysplasia the vets advised is not to wake him he was PTS. Never did get any compensation.

Give it more time. Try some Tranquil Paste (get it from a fodder store or dog supply shop) it may help a little.

Good advice. I adopted a little p/b dog, 6 yrs old, from a breeder after illness required the rehoming of her dogs. This one had been her top show girl.... & was also dearly loved with access to family life.

She was flown up to me in Brisbane .... & was absolutely frantic with distress. Well, she had been 'torn away' from her well established & happy life. This distress went on for a few weeks .... then she gradually eased into another good life here. She just needed to learn that... and I needed to have patience to let her do it.

Then, she 'returned' to her true unstressed personality. Lovely little dog, with loads of social confidence, and she shone with happiness. You would never know it was the same dog.

Similar with the 3 yr old p/b girl that our neighbours adopted from a breeder. Where she also had a lovely life as part of the family. So it was again, a real wrench to be suddenly separated from it. She was terrified. She spent a lot of time, staying at the back of her soft crate. When my little dogs popped their heads in to encourage her to come play, she growled. She wanted nothing to do with all these people & dogs that were not her people & dogs. Time and patience again .... then within few months she adored her new 'mum' & had 'dad' wrapped around her paw. Our little dogs had become her very best friends. She'd learned that her new home, family & friends were OK, in her opinion!!

Even then we thought she might go back to being terrified when she had to go to the vet (a woman). To everyone's surprise, she was fine. Totally accepted the vet.

In both cases, a good everyday routine was set in motion, lots of treats for any second where they were calm .... & doing nothing to reinforce the distressed behaviour. We remained calm, too.

I have a list of strategies given us at that time, for how to foster confidence in a frightened, shy dog. Let me know if you'd like them.

Thanks for that ! Would love it if you could send me your list of strategies.... Im hoping this is all the dog is suffering from but I cant understand why the breeder wont get back to me. I randg the dos association for that state and they have given me some more contact details for the breeder but again no luck.... I really hope there is a genuine reason why she hasnt been in touch but Im losing hope on that one....

To answer some of the questions... the little girl did fly up from interstate so I do understand that could be really traumatic. She has wandered around a little today whilst I was at work but when we get home its straight back to hiding. We are totally ignoring the fear ( and hence the behaviour) but just talking normally as we walk past where she is... The good news is that tonight she ate a normal dinner after not eating properly for 2 weeks. Im hoping thats a good sign.... or maybe she was just starving !! She seems to be more scared when we use her name... i have no idea why.... She came up in good condition... beautiful coat and a little on the solid side :-) and the breeder does have a good reputation for beautiful show dogs.........

I really hope the breeder isn't doing the dodgy on you.

We purchased a 10 month old Samoyed from a well known interstate breeder a couple of years ago, within a couple days of arriving I knew something was wrong with him. Fast forward a week later he was put under a GA and turned out he had such severe hip dysplasia the vets advised is not to wake him he was PTS. Never did get any compensation.

Im so sorry to hear that ! ThAt would be so distressing for you and your family !

My story is very similar to yours. I took on a desexed, es Aus Champ, aged 4yrs old. He kept his tail down for weeks, but I left him to find his own levels in the house. I live alone but have lots of friends with dogs. Gradually I introduced him to local dogs (one by one). He arrived May 2011 and he is shy, almost scared looking around men in particular. He is only just keepig his tail up and actually greeting my male neighbour.

I too cannot get a response from his previus owner, who is a breeder and a judge!

Oh and I am returning permentently to the UK mid year or thereabours and he is coming with me!

My story is very similar to yours. I took on a desexed, es Aus Champ, aged 4yrs old. He kept his tail down for weeks, but I left him to find his own levels in the house. I live alone but have lots of friends with dogs. Gradually I introduced him to local dogs (one by one). He arrived May 2011 and he is shy, almost scared looking around men in particular. He is only just keepig his tail up and actually greeting my male neighbour.

I too cannot get a response from his previus owner, who is a breeder and a judge!

Oh and I am returning permentently to the UK mid year or thereabours and he is coming with me!

out of curiosity, are you able to mention what breed your dog is ? or PM me ???? if not i understand....

o answer some of the questions... the little girl did fly up from interstate so I do understand that could be really traumatic. She has wandered around a little today whilst I was at work but when we get home its straight back to hiding. We are totally ignoring the fear ( and hence the behaviour) but just talking normally as we walk past where she is... The good news is that tonight she ate a normal dinner after not eating properly for 2 weeks. Im hoping thats a good sign.... or maybe she was just starving !! She seems to be more scared when we use her name... i have no idea why.... She came up in good condition... beautiful coat and a little on the solid side :-) and the breeder does have a good reputation for beautiful show dogs.........

This sounds just like the gradual 'coming out' of the girl next door ... who spent most of her first couple of weeks hiding at the back of a soft crate. (Your girl sounds as if she's ahead of that!!!). She, too, wouldn't eat ... but then got tempted... a little bit at a time.

Truly, after a couple of months, she was eating like a horse & using her charms to wheedle food from her new 'dad's' dinner. She was like a different dog, then... & became the most loyal little family dog.

I'll pull out & PM the list of strategies. But the things that seemed to work best (but with time) with the girl next door, were not overwhelming her with attention (exactly what you're doing anyway)... & getting down low so we didn't loom over her. I'm only guessing but maybe her reacting to her name, is also a kind of 'hiding'.

To be honest, it seemed a couple of months of very gradual settling until the penny entirely dropped for the little dog next door ... that this new life is fine & these are my people now. It seems to be something that moves at the dog's pace.

BTW this girl, too, has the most glorious coat!

Edited by mita

o answer some of the questions... the little girl did fly up from interstate so I do understand that could be really traumatic. She has wandered around a little today whilst I was at work but when we get home its straight back to hiding. We are totally ignoring the fear ( and hence the behaviour) but just talking normally as we walk past where she is... The good news is that tonight she ate a normal dinner after not eating properly for 2 weeks. Im hoping thats a good sign.... or maybe she was just starving !! She seems to be more scared when we use her name... i have no idea why.... She came up in good condition... beautiful coat and a little on the solid side :-) and the breeder does have a good reputation for beautiful show dogs.........

This sounds just like the gradual 'coming out' of the girl next door ... who spent most of her first couple of weeks hiding at the back of a soft crate. (Your girl sounds as if she's ahead of that!!!). She, too, wouldn't eat ... but then got tempted... a little bit at a time.

Truly, after a couple of months, she was eating like a horse & using her charms to wheedle food from her new 'dad's' dinner. She was like a different dog, then... & became the most loyal little family dog.

I'll pull out & PM the list of strategies. But the things that seemed to work best (but with time) with the girl next door, were not overwhelming her with attention (exactly what you're doing anyway)... & getting down low so we didn't loom over her. I'm only guessing but maybe her reacting to her name, is also a kind of 'hiding'.

To be honest, it seemed a couple of months of very gradual settling until the penny entirely dropped for the little dog next door ... that this new life is fine & these are my people now. It seems to be something that moves at the dog's pace.

BTW this girl, too, has the most glorious coat!

thanks Mita ! I greatly appreciate it ! at this stage i cant even get near her to put a collar on her and she was sent without one ......although i guess she wont get lost when she wont leave the crate......

Mel, I'd be continuing to try to contact the breeder, just as you're doing.

In the case of the frightened new girl next door, her new owners were able to directly talk to her breeder whenever they wanted (she was in Brisbane, too).

And we always knew our girls' breeder would be at the end of the phone or email (interstate), if ever needed.

It's certainly reassuring to have that support ... and be able to ask questions & get advice.

just a thought .. is/was the breeder situated anywhere the floods/storms have hit? perhaps they have no commuications happening ....

have you tried suing a different name for the dog..something very different sounding ???

will try a new name..... as for floods.... dog came from down southern end of australia......

There have been some horrendous fires in Victoria and Tasmania...
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

yep ... there could have been problems ..

Well, still no answer from breeder. Even on additional numbers i was given as well :mad. this is so frustrating ! Have no idea what to do next.... Am being patient with the new little girl but it doesnt solve the problem that she cant participate in outings etc and the whole situation is such a disappointment...... She is not happy either which isnt fair to her... I am wondering why the breeder wouldnt care about how she is doing...... I understand there have been bas climate conditions in Victoria etc but this little girl came from South Australia so shouldnt effect the breeder.....