Progesterone Testing In Sydney - Eastern Suburbs

mollipop

I was extremely frustrated yesterday trying to organise a quick prog. test for a bitch I have visiting my dog. Normally I would just head straight out to North Richmond vet but I have just returned back to work from holidays and couldn't take any more time off.

It seems that none of the vets in my area have in house testing, one even saying that it could take 2 days to get a result.

Most of the receptionists I rang did not know what I was talking about and had to ask then call me back. In fact, I am still waiting for the clinic at Sydney Uni to call.

The high point of the exercise was being told by one vet that it would cost almost $200 because they would have to charge a consult fee as well as she is not one of their regular patients!

Pet vets haven't got a clue about breeding. I have come across some that had no idea how to do an AI or even that it is done with dogs.

Not Eastern suburbs but a lot closer than Nth Richmond. Try Sandra Hodgins at Summer Hill Village Vet. She did a lot of dog repro training with Marilyn Gill at Austral before setting up at Summer Hill. At least they will know what you are talking about.

Summer Hill Village Vet

Hi Molliepop

I live in the inner west and like you have tried to find a vet that does progesterone testing. Unlike you I didn't get a quote as I "assumed" that it wouldn't be that expense. This was in the begining of December 2012, it cost me $300 for the progesterone test with results in 24 hours.

I have to say for the next test, I left work early and drove out to Vineyard!!!!!

After 30 years of breeding in the inner city I still haven't located a vet that doesn't over charge or that has some knowledge of reproduction.

Thanks,Dacinbcs. That is good to know and a lot closer. Are they expensive?

I would love to find a good "local" vet that doesn't sharpen their scapel and open their money drawer when you walk in.

I share your frustration, Freundhund! Us city breeders must be rare breeds!