2. 2. If your dogs sleep in another room, do they sleep:

• On the couch
    • In/on their bed
    • In a crate
    • Other
    • Not applicable
  3. 3. If your dogs sleep outside, do they sleep:

• In a dog kennel
    • In/on their own bed (in a pen/enclosure)
    • Other
    • Not applicable

I've now got 4 dogs...

Ruby (stafford cross) sleeps on my bed because she's old and arthritic and she's always slept on my bed.

Lilly (greyhound) sleeps in her bed/s in the kitchen. The main reason is that she gets up during the night and wanders around every hour or so. That activity wakes me up so the kitchen is just far enough away that I don't hear her every time. She has more than one bed so can swap beds as often as she wants.

Molly (chi cross) started off in a crate beside my bed but she didn't like it and was restless and whiny so she very quickly got promoted to my bed; she sleeps under the covers most of the night.

Zoe (chi cross) is in a wire crate beside my bed for the night, then in the morning she comes up on the bed for a cuddle.

All the dogs were adopted as adults so had experience in other homes before mine. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna sound like a horrible owner. Ollie sleeps in a crate (shut) downstairs in the living room... :o He sleeps so well though and I never hear a sound from him during the night.

What is so horrible about that? Better than being shoved outside with no bed. Mine love their crates.

bella ALWAYS sleeps in the bed with us; she has absolutely no shame! bob [the cat] occasionally makes her way upstairs too and doesn't mind sharing the same space...

byron won't because he likes his *space*

if the OH tho is making too much 'noise' and i've kicked him out, byron will nestle on the bed [but not if bob's there] so he'll curl up in the 'nest' [an old queen-size comforter that i've fashioned into a dog bed]. if i had the floorspace, i'd have the nest it in the bedroom, but i don't, so it's in the hallway just outside the bedroom.

It depends, really. Carl has always slept on my bed since I've had him (5 years) but he seems to be wanting to sleep under my bed and in his own under the desk of late. :confused: Maybe the hot weather? I've had to kick him off a few times to get comfortable and now he seems content to just sleep wherever. I did try calling to him last night for him to jump up but he wouldn't have it!

Mischa used to sleep in my bed (winter only), then she slept in a donut bed on the floor for the last few years. Since having one or two accidents, she now sleeps outside my door in a bed, right next to the other Min Pin. :)

Jag sleeps with my mum, usually. On the bed, of course! When she's away, he sleeps in my room, usually on the bed, though I have to kick him off as well. Rory used to sleep on my bed and current kitten now sleeps in a crate.

I'm gonna sound like a horrible owner. Ollie sleeps in a crate (shut) downstairs in the living room... :o He sleeps so well though and I never hear a sound from him during the night.

What is so horrible about that? Better than being shoved outside with no bed. Mine love their crates.

Haha yep that's very true. I was just feeling a bit guilty since most people let their dogs sleep with them or anywhere they like if they're in another room. I can't imagine what I'd wake up to in the morning if I left the crate opened at night though :laugh:

You left out under the doona. :laugh:

:rofl:

file_zps1f57699c.jpg

No seriously, mine all get on the bed at bedtime for cuddles and a snooze, then the youngest goes to his crate, Cooper goes to his bed on the floor and alternates between that and the chair in the lounge. Tully alternates between the bed and under the bed and Lacy alternates between the bed and her own bed on the floor. So generally we have one sometimes two on the bed. :D

My girl has her own chair in the lounge room.

This is where she goes to bed, but most mornings we find her snoring on one of the kids beds!

We have e new puppy still in a whelping box ATM, we're going to have to buy her her own chair soon.

Both of the black dogs sleep outside at night. Usually they curl up together on a trampoline bed, (which is a feat for two full grown labradors!) although they do have one each. In winter they use their kennel - an old wooden shipping container, large enough for a human to comfortably lay in if ever needed! They don't actually have a bed as such because they tend to chew them to destruction. However, the kennel has a very large and heavy piece of carpet which we have rolled up so that there are several thicknesses of padding. They've chewed at the edges but generally aren't able to get it out of the kennel because it is very heavy. When it gets stinky (because they do love hiding old bones in there) we can just throw the carpet and replace it with other offcuts.

They also do a lot of sleeping inside whenever we are home. I found a thick memory foam mattress covered in vinyl at a caravan sales yard - double bed sized - $20!!! It's seen many a lengthy afternoon nap with the boys playing "who can get closest to mummy". In fact, i think it might be nap time now :)

James normally sleeps in my bedroom. He doesn't have his own bed in there, but rather alternates between sleeping on my bed (the majority of the time) and underneath it (if it's too warm for him).

If he's not in my bedroom (usually if he's sounding nauseous, it's too hot or I've come home late and can't be bothered to move him) then he's outside the bedroom on tiles in his Bunning's compost pen with a bed of towels and/or blankets depending on the temperature.

Edited by Niques

Mine sleep in crates... Fauves are destructa-mutts and I'm fond of my soft furnishings. When my bitches are pregnant or have pups they sleep in my room but, to be perfectly honest, I hate sharing my bed and couldn't imagine anything more likely to give me poor sleep than sharing my bed with them... Baby puppies sleep in my room, in crates, so that they can be crate trained & house trained.

Agree - mine love their crates!!! They hang out in the loungeroom with me whilst I'm working during the day but sleep happily in their crates. I have two giant crates that each sleep 3 dogs - they have room to cuddle up to each other if they want, or sleep alone if they want. They wake us at around 6.30am each day but we're morning people so its no drama.

You left out under the doona. :laugh:

:rofl:

file_zps1f57699c.jpg

No seriously, mine all get on the bed at bedtime for cuddles and a snooze, then the youngest goes to his crate, Cooper goes to his bed on the floor and alternates between that and the chair in the lounge. Tully alternates between the bed and under the bed and Lacy alternates between the bed and her own bed on the floor. So generally we have one sometimes two on the bed. :D

No offence but that looks like my idea of hell :laugh: . I struggle to share my bed with a human (get your feet on your side of the freaking bed!!!) - I'm getting anxious just looking at that lack of space :rofl: . I can't stand to be touched when I sleep, be it human, canine or feline....

Mine sleep in crates in the bedroom - best thing I ever did was stop them sleeping on the bed at night - we all get a much better sleep this way and wake up much cheerier :D now the thought of them sleeping in the bed creeps me out :laugh:

If I am by myself I will sometimes let one on the bed but two people + dogs is awful - and I have a king size bed!

Even when we go camping the dogs are crated in the tent :p