Leaving Dogs Tethered Outside The Supermarket

Guest Maeby Fünke

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever leave your dogs tethered (unattended) outside the supermarket?

• Yes, but for no more than 1 hour
    • Yes, but for no more than 30 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 15 minutes
    • Yes, but for no more than 5 minutes
    • No, not under any circumstances

Guest Maeby Fünke

My concern is the over an hour every day? I suppose you only have the customer service person's word to go on though.

Also, track suit pants with high heels :eek:

Yes, I have no idea how often or for how long the Newfy is usually left there.

It's a pretty rough area :laugh:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maeby Fünke

If I had seen the Newfy tied up outside the small supermarket in my town, I probably wouldn't be as concerned. But in my town everyone knows everyone and someone would say something to the owner.

Maybe I'm being judgemental because the town where the Newfy was tied up is a hole.

And it made me feel sad because I would never leave my own dogs tied up somewhere like that and for so long.

In fact, once I carried my Pug into the small supermarket with me because I didn't feel comfortable leaving him outside or in the car. The manager reluctantly agreed because it was such a hot day.

Guest Maeby Fünke

(Newfy situation aside) I guess the question is...

Do you think it's okay to leave your dogs tied up outside a shop and, if so, what do you think is a reasonable amount of time?

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I leave Roo tied up outside the supermarket most days. For about ten minutes, while I buy her food for the next day and whatever I need; but then, she is at much more risk at home than she is there, and although she is pretty, I can't see anyone wanting to steal her.

I think one hour is way too long, I'd be concerned about temperature, and whether she had enough water.

Maybe a word to the shopping centre, they could call her owners on the PA

Guest Maeby Fünke

I recall a dog getting a parking ticket a few years ago for being parked illegally, tied to a pole in the street for a few minutes. They attached the ticket to the dogs collar.

:laugh:

Apart from theft, I would never leave a dog in such a vulnerable condition. Tied to a post they could be trapped in a horrible situation, i.e., a child not knowing how to act around dogs and getting in it's face/climbing on it/feeding it chocolate bars etc (i'm always protecting my dogs from over excited children running at us and trying to hug them/climb on them etc -and I have small dogs! - and thats when they are on lead!). Adults can also be totally inappropriate. There is also the risk of off lead, wandering dogs, or even on lead dogs (I would never allow my dogs to approach a tied up dog but a lot of people wouldn't realise how this can effect behaviour).

I tied Penny up outside the supermarket when she was young, so that was about 13 years ago now. I wouldn't do it these days for concern of her being attacked and injured by a roaming dog, stolen, or approached by idiots who dont know how to interact with dogs, but I dont think it's illegal to tie your dog up, it would be illegal to leave it loose outside though. I dont know that the owner of the Newfy is doing anything wrong. I think Newfies always look sad.

Years ago I knew of a dog who lived its whole life tied to a tree, it was never walked, never got to run loose even in a yard, but because it wasn't starving, and had some dirty water to drink the owners weren't doing anything illegal. Now that dog suffered, it will haunt me forever. :(

At least the owner takes the Newfy out.

Edited by Kirislin

If it has shade and water whats the problem?

It gets to see lots of things going on, and might well enjoy it.

I personally would never do it, just because i woud worry about them being pinched or annoyed by poeple.

And the Newfy looked really unhappy and uncomfortable with being left there. The look on his/her face... If you could have seen it, it would have just broken your heart :(

:laugh: If looking sad meant that Newfies were suffering then ALL Newfie owners would be in trouble!! And Basset owners could be for it as well...

I wouldn't do it with mine but plenty of people do. The dog is in the shade and has water. Plenty of dogs in backyards all over that don't get such attention, or get out and about with their owner.

Yes an hour is a long time but you only have one person's word on that - how reliable is that?

Was it under any kind of shelter?

Used to be lots of dogs tied up outside our local supermarket but last week they put signs up saying its not allowed anymore.

I would never do it. Too risky and not fair to the dog.

I guess you could call the council and ask them if they have a policy on this, I don't know if they'd care? Knowing the RSPCA, long as the dog has water and shelter it's all goodo!

Yes, he/she was under shelter and in the shade.

I might call the council and ask what their policy is... That's a good idea, thanks :)

Also, the suburb that this supermarket is in (I live 15 minutes away in the next town) has a druggie culture and it's full of bogans and ferals... This is where I saw the woman wearing trackie pants with high heels. All the women look like clapped out old strippers... It's not a nice place.

However this kind of population often has a high dog ownership and their dogs are absolutely adored. Behaviour may be different to ours but is what they can do given circumstances.

I think this thread centres on does this person need some feedback that their dog is getting noticed and people are concerned for its welfare...so there would be a number of routes...council, rspca, someone saying something directly.

I think personally I might do the council first, see if they are interested, they do control pet ownership within the council area and footpaths. The other thing is that I have seen shopping centres that issue signs out front saying NO DOGS to be tied up outside. The fact that the owner is leaving water suggests they do care and are aware that they are leaving it for a lengthy time.

As Aloysha and Juice point out it actually may be of little concern as the dog is used to it, gets attention and if in shade with water is fine.

Concerned people may be more of a hazard for the dog then the actual situation and Newfies may attract more attention than another ore common breed too.

Also, the suburb that this supermarket is in (I live 15 minutes away in the next town) has a druggie culture and it's full of bogans and ferals... This is where I saw the woman wearing trackie pants with high heels. All the women look like clapped out old strippers... It's not a nice place.

You are being very judgmental.

Making yourself feel better may impact the life of another person and their dog, of which you have nothing to do with -

other than you dont like the owner taking their dog to the supermarket because the town is retrograde compared to your own.

Leave other people and their dogs be. The dog is in the shade and has water, and is a regular at the shopping center.

Please dont cause happy people problems simply because you would not do as they are doing.

I don't really see the issue. The dog was secured, had water and shelter... The only problem I can see is the risk to the dog from external forces (people/children, roaming dogs etc.) If that's a chance the owner's willing to take, then so be it. Their dog, their choice.

A couple of years ago, I went camping at Barmah on my own with my rotti x and dobe x kelpie. I had no choice but to leave them in the car while I went into the supermarket because we needed food for the next 4 days! I figured my car would be fine because of the two big scary-looking dogs in it. I left all the windows just closed enough so they couldn't jump out, and when I got back (probably 15-20 mins later), there was this little old man of around 70ish, armpit deep in my car giving the dogs scratches and belly rubs!! It was hilarious, they're such awesome guard dogs, but I'm glad he wasn't trying to steal all my stuff, because they totally would have let him!

I personally don't tend to leave my dogs tied up outside shops, I have done it in the past and would for brief periods if I didn't have another option. But then again, no one would want to steal my mongrels anyway! I love my idiots:)

Was it under any kind of shelter?

Used to be lots of dogs tied up outside our local supermarket but last week they put signs up saying its not allowed anymore.

I would never do it. Too risky and not fair to the dog.

I guess you could call the council and ask them if they have a policy on this, I don't know if they'd care? Knowing the RSPCA, long as the dog has water and shelter it's all goodo!

Yes, he/she was under shelter and in the shade.

I might call the council and ask what their policy is... That's a good idea, thanks :)

OMG Really!!! I would have had to run in case I saw someone wearing crocs too!

I don't think you should worry. If the dog has water and shelter and does not seem distressed you can't do much about it.

As to people wearing track pants and high heels - so what? Have you seen the way "celebrities" dress? :D

Not something I would do but I agree with lilli when she says leave other people and their dgs alone....

You do not know the circumstances nor do you know the facts you have hearsay that it is there every day. And you are making assumptions about the character of the people in the area.

Not your suburb , not your dog.....not the way you choose to live ...but for them it works. The dog is under shelter and has water and is obviously known by locals ...everyone seems happy.

If this is a regular occurrence , and no one has yet called the 'authorities' why would you want to disturb the staus quo?

Think of how the owner's life may be disrupted if you report it ?

I used to leave Kieran tied outside the shops in my town .... he , and the little kids just LOVED it ....he had endless hugs and admirers...

and , your comments about the dress etc of the residents ..that is certainly not the most thoughtful post .......

I do agree .. just leave them to live their lives .....