Boarding Kennel Trial

Cougar

So we're thinking we might kennel one of our dogs over Easter (a place that's been highly recommended by a friend and has a couple of spots free). He HATES going camping which is what we're doing over the break. He's only been kenneled once before many years ago but it was both dogs in the same run but this time he'd be on his own. He is a slightly grumpy 9yo greyhound (this may be relevant!)

The form letter e-mail I got suggested a trial run so the dog can get used to it. I guess the thing that concerns me is the 'what if he doesn't settle?' thing. He is quite capable of long term barking when he decides he doesn't like something and he is as stubborn as it gets.

So if you were in my situation, what would you do - or have done in the past? Advice gratefully accepted :)

If he's only been kennelled once before, many years ago, I would do a trial run. Perhaps just for a couple of nights, while you are not far away?

That way, if all goes well, you can go away at Easter confident that he is ok. It won't be a big unknown.

On the other hand, if he doesn't cope with a short trial, you'd still have time to make other arrangements. Perhaps a house/pet sitter?

I have kennelled my dog several times for short stays (5 days or less) and recently for 3 weeks. He gets really excited when we arrive at the kennels and I know that they love him. This makes it a lot easier for me to go away. Much as I hate to leave him, I know he is well-cared for.

So I think a short trial is worth it if it gives you peace of mind for future kennel stays. :)

Edited by trinabean

we run kennels & get alot of people who ask this & we say it will make no difference,

Generally people do a short stay & by the time the dog has settled or got use to the routine its going home.

If it makes you feel better then go for it but in the scheme of what you want to achieve it won't work .

The only time we have suggested was for a few very select dogs that had serious issues

Showdog - do you mind me asking what you'd classify as 'serious issues'? My biggest concern is excessive barking (possibly screaming - the 'greyhound scream of death' is not fun for anyone).

Thanks for your perspective too, much appreciated.

Edited by Cougar

I have had one person bring their dog in for a trial of three days, he took 24 hours to settle in, then was fine then went home. It was more for them than him. He is an older dog who previously hadn't left their property apart from a trip or two to the vets and they were worried he may be overwhelmed.

I do agree with Showdogs the dogs settle quite quickly and learn the routine and cruise along. The owners tend to get more worried than the dogs. I have only had one dog I have suggested doesn't get boarded again in a hurry - without drugs at least. She is fine great little dog until there is thunder. She will injure herself unless she is bombed. Very stressful for her and me mainly because I would have no idea any thunder was coming but she would start going off well before the event. I then could not leave her at all until it had gone - very hard when one thunderstorm came and went ( not over us but near enough for her to hear the thunder obviously) while I was asleep and had no idea we had had one.

Dogs behave quite differently to what most expect once their owners go and they are settled.

To me a serious issue would be a dog that refuses to eat,drink, toilet is at risk of hurting it's self with its behaviour, or stresses that much they lose weight rapidly or cannot settle at all.

I don't see excessive barking as a major issue but it can cause laryngitis.

Edited by OSoSwift

I would make sure that he won't have to share a pen with another dog. He might be friendly with other dogs but that doesn't mean that the other one will be too.

I would also avoid places where the dogs can see each other all the time.

I have a friend who has will look after, mainly greys in her house. She has 2 grey girls, who love everyone. They are looked after just like home, sleep inside etc. What part of Vic are you in? I can recommend 100% If you would like to pm me I can give you more details.

We board stacks of Grey s & use to own them & never had an issue.

As long as they have a comfort they adapt very well.

Serious issue is behaviour that could affect a kennel being able to perform any care with the dog or has a medical issue of such extreme it may not work .

These scenarios' are to ensure the kennel staff can work with the dog & the dog isn't in any harm due to not fault of anyone & yes we have had one dog in that we told the owners it couldn't be boarded (well we wouldn't take it) .

Barking most dogs will do at first that isn't any drama's unless its an extreme barker at home .

Our Greys never made a noise & never screamed ,they bounced up & down loved there zoomies

Have to say I was tending towards not doing a trial, but would consider it if it was generally considered to be helpful. I have no concerns about him not eating - food is the love of his life! I'll have a chat to the kennels and see what they say about the screaming/barking. I can only give it a go, see what happens - and it doesn't work out well, then he'll just have to keep on camping.

Thanks faytiges, I'll pm you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Naturally it depends entirely on the individual dog, but I will give you my experiences.

Many moons ago, I was taken on a family holiday and left Ralph with his breeders. Unfortunately he was an only dog accustomed only to the company of adults. He was not accustomed to the noise and smell of so many dogs and got so upset he had seizures and wound up at the vets.

More recently we rescued Jasper from the RSPCA. He had been left home alone frequently and then spent time in the pound.

Somebody let him out of our yard, and a few doors down we have the neighbourhood banker who rather than simply return him phoned the council to collect him. As a result he spent the night at the pound and came home traumatised by the separation. I would not put him in a kennel for fear it would trigger unpleasant memories.

up to you, I work in a kennel and we get lots of people who trial , but its primarily because we are a social kennel , so they come to daycare several times before the boarding stay to make sure their dog is comfortable with the social setting. I don't think it would make any difference if its just a regular kennel though. I have had the odd person do a trial when they want their dog to be a single(separate from other dogs) but that just strikes me as silly!

sorry should maybe clarify, the trials at the kennel I work at have nothing to do with seeing if they get along with other dogs, a social kennel is a different type of environment, some dogs fare much better in it, but some its stresses out more, but most dogs is freaks out at first, and once they are more comfortable they love it, hence bringing them for trials beforehand, that way they have already acclimatized to the environment by the time they stay for boarding. I don't see the point if they are to be kept single because it doesn't change anything, there nothing to really get more comfortable with.

I don't see the point if they are to be kept single because it doesn't change anything, there nothing to really get more comfortable with.

The point is that if the dog shows extreme anxiety to the point of harm, the dog can be collected by the owner easily and quickly if they are doing a trial stay. That can't happen if the owner has gone on their holiday.

Its unlikely that there is going to be a problem like this, but the trial means that when the owner goes on their holiday that they know how the dog is coping because it has coped in that environment before.

Naturally it depends entirely on the individual dog, but I will give you my experiences.

Many moons ago, I was taken on a family holiday and left Ralph with his breeders. Unfortunately he was an only dog accustomed only to the company of adults. He was not accustomed to the noise and smell of so many dogs and got so upset he had seizures and wound up at the vets.

More recently we rescued Jasper from the RSPCA. He had been left home alone frequently and then spent time in the pound.

Somebody let him out of our yard, and a few doors down we have the neighbourhood banker who rather than simply return him phoned the council to collect him. As a result he spent the night at the pound and came home traumatised by the separation. I would not put him in a kennel for fear it would trigger unpleasant memories.

One of my boys is from the rspca too and the first time I took him to work with me last year at a boarding kennel he got so stressed out he was constipated for a bit and it took him about a week to get back to his normal self. I have since taken him back, but he now knows he goes home at the end of the day and itsnt bothered by going anymore.

Lots of dogs bark in boarding. We are supplied with ear plugs for a reason lol. Dogs usually settle well into boarding. Some dogs may take a day, but we've even had dogs in that have SA and have not had any dramas. The trial is really for the owners the dogs normally have a blast in kennels.